The Student Room Group

Ideas on how a teenager should invest £130,000

Ideas on how a teenage should invest £130,000
Ideas on how a teenager should invest £130,000!
Hi all

First of all I would like to thank anyone would could give me some solid advice.

I have a bit of a dilemma. At the moment I am 17 years old and on my 18th birthday I am set to receive around £130,000! As you could imagine this is a big responsibility for me and to be honest I have know idea what I am going to do with it. I am quite a sensible teenager (my own opinion haha!) and when I finish my a levels I am hoping to go to university to study medicine.

I have been looking into different ways in which I could invest my money. I could put it in a savings account, buy property, or even something crazy like bitcoins! I live in Northern Ireland where house prices are quite low I'm comparison to the rest of the U.K so it would be very feasible for me to but two end terrace houses for £50,000 each. However, is this really the best investment?

At the minute I am thinking of spreading my money into different investments but unfortunately I am quite a novice when it comes to money. So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Can you please invest £5,000 in me? I guarantee you, it will be worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well give me your pitch haha and I'll think about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by 1427Phil
Hi all

First of all I would like to thank anyone would could give me some solid advice.

I have a bit of a dilemma. At the moment I am 17 years old and on my 18th birthday I am set to receive around £130,000! As you could imagine this is a big responsibility for me and to be honest I have know idea what I am going to do with it. I am quite a sensible teenager (my own opinion haha!) and when I finish my a levels I am hoping to go to university to study medicine.

I have been looking into different ways in which I could invest my money. I could put it in a savings account, buy property, or even something crazy like bitcoins! I live in Northern Ireland where house prices are quite low I'm comparison to the rest of the U.K so it would be very feasible for me to but two end terrace houses for £50,000 each. However, is this really the best investment?

At the minute I am thinking of spreading my money into different investments but unfortunately I am quite a novice when it comes to money. So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably a troll but I'll answer honestly anyway

Considered investing into shares?
Maybe save it to invest in something like your own GP Practice after you done your Medicine degree.
Reply 5
Dig a big hole and throw it in, nobody's money is safe in this economy. Seriously though that is a hella load I guess you could see how the properties you plan on buying have done in the past to give you an idea of whether it would actually turn a profit or even at least increase alongside inflation so you're no worse off
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Put £100k into a high-interest account and let it grow. By the time you are 30 it will grown nicely and go towards buying a house, or starting your own business. Spend the other £30k on getting a car, and living well as a student.
I know how you feel!!! I turned 18 and got 5,600 pounds and although its nowhere near as much as your i know u feel. The anxiety of having all that money and feeling a little selfish that u arent gonna give any way to family. Anyway i am putting mine in a ISA bond account basically they money is safe and u get interest every year so it grows. The more money u put in the higher the interest. Also u cant touch it for a whole year just is good for me cause i am scared i will blow it. But u can find isa accounts that u can take money out of. Dont invest!!!! If the company goes bankurpt all your money is gone. Its just too risky.
Don't invest in shares- you'll lose the money quicker than you gained it.

You need to speak to someone who knows what they're doing (a financial advisor or something) and not people on the internet.
Original post by 1427Phil
Hi all

Phil

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh I think you should put about £60k aside for uni/future savings and give the rest to charity but...
otherwise I would invest in property if I were you.
Reply 10
Original post by BobbieShamrock
tbh I think you should put about £60k aside for uni/future savings and give the rest to charity but...
otherwise I would invest in property if I were you.

No need to pay off uni fees, just get the loan and you'll have to pay back less than just paying it in bulk
Original post by Mushto
No need to pay off uni fees, just get the loan and you'll have to pay back less than just paying it in bulk

Sorry I still don't know how university finance works just yet :redface:
In that case I'd say give even more money away to charity... doubt he'd do that though.
Seek professional advice. They will talk you through the options given your age, circumstances and plans.

You can find a list of advisers local to you, from here:

http://www.unbiased.uk.com/
Reply 13
Original post by BobbieShamrock
Sorry I still don't know how university finance works just yet :redface:
In that case I'd say give even more money away to charity... doubt he'd do that though.

Basically you get a loan for fees and living, the amount you pay back starts at earning over a certain amount and gets paid as a percentage of earnings so if you don't get a job and reach 40 or something like that, you don't pay anything back at all and the debt is wiped. The only scenario you'll pay back all of it is in an extremely high earning job in which case you probably won't care because you have so much. Living cost loans won't cover everything though so some of the money could be used for that.
Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions!

Btw that money is the sum I've got to invest after I have given money to my family and charity. I'm a Christian and know that I have a duty to help others as well :smile:

I need to invest it! I feel like if I don't I'll just spend it all haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
University. Simple :biggrin:
Original post by inachigeek21
University. Simple :biggrin:

I heard that paying off student fees was a bad idea seeing that most people never pay it all off before their student loan gets wiped anyways?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdamCee
Probably a troll but I'll answer honestly anyway

Considered investing into shares?

I'm not a troll lol.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VannR
Put £100k into a high-interest account and let it grow. By the time you are 30 it will grown nicely and go towards buying a house, or starting your own business. Spend the other £30k on getting a car, and living well as a student.

High interest account, pretty sure that's an oxymoron.

By the time he is 30 if you factor rate of inflation against savings account interest, he will have more money, but it will be worth less

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending