Say Reparations would be paid back. how would/should it be done? Watch

Mick.w
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Realistically you could push for reparations from certain corporations or certain governments.

but if your talking about just giving a certain amount to every black person? how would that be worked out?

I mean say a generation is about 20 years. and your someone who was descended from a slave in a british colony. lets for the sake of time sum it up to 200 years ago that the last slave in your family was about. jamaica was conquered in 1655 so jamaican slaves were about for around 200 years before slavery was abolished. the wages around those times (im going off 1700s as its the half way point) were about £20 a year for agricultural labour. school masters around that time got paid £60 a year and those earns are said to translate to about $4000 in today's money. so that shows that agricultural labourers had an income of roughly $1400. so lets say every 15 years a new slave girl was bred to have a child. so every 15 years there was a new generation. thats roughly 14 generations of jamaican slaves on one side of your family. the average person in the 1700s was 36 years. thats average person and not average slave. 36 years of work. so thats 1400 (the average wage of labourers in todays value) times 36 (being the number of years alive to work, 36 years being average life expectancy at the time) times 14 (the number of generations in slavery) but lets times the generation by 2 to represent both father and mother of each generation that birthed the next. so that works out as $1,411,200 or £905,776.73 so each free child born of slave parents should of been paid £907,776.73 or for the sake of making things easy lets just call it £1 Million.

now you would have to calculate how much of that is going to be divided amongst living persons.

so lets have a look at trying to guess that. I mean this largely depends on your own personal family tree.

but lets try and estimate an average.

the average family unit size at the time of abolition was 6 (most commonly 2 parents 4 kids) per house hold.
today the average house hold is 3 (varied, either 1 mother 2 kids or 2 parents 1 kid)

so if the average couple has kids around the age of 20
thats roughly 1 new generation every 20 years.
so between abolition and now is roughly 10 generations.
at some point during that 10 generations the family unit shrank from 6 to 3.
for the sake of just something to work with lets say it shrank at the 5th generation.
so with the first free person generation 1.
they marry. combined house hold income of 2 Million
4 kids, divided thats 500,000 each.
by the 5th generation we have a parent with 62,500

now as i said by the 5th generation i estimated that family unit sizes are 3 per house hold like they are currently. this has variables.

if we have a single mother plus two kids thats 31,250
but if its a mother father and 1 child unit then the opposite happens and the house hold income combines at 125,000.

but at the 5th generation mark the money your ancestor will have is 62,500

so if you are the 10th generation. your mother is the 9th. your grand parents are the 8th you may want to ask you grand parents about their family tree if you can.

so by the time that money reaches to u it will be around £62,500 depending on how many surviving relatives exist from the 5th generation.

or indeed how many generations removed you are from your descendent who was a slave

now the population of jamaica + people of jamaican descent abroad adds up to about 7 million.
paying each of those people £62,500 would cost around £400 Billion.

so as you can see thats a lot of money to pay to jamaicans alone. yet alone other british colonies.

its the kind of money that would cause banks to shut down.

but say we go ahead with that.

then we have a sort of double dip recession after due to the hit on the governments money and the big corporations.

but then where would the money go.

would everybody use the money wisely? almost certainly. but how many people would just blow the money on fast cars, drink, food, rent, paying off debt, and holidays.

a lot of that money would find its way straight back into the hands of the british economy and be out the hands of black people straight away.

and after what would be the moral repercussion? can you imagine the attitudes of "we owe you nothing. we paid off the debt for slavery. stop complaining? or even if the economic down turn is due to black people receiving reparations can you imagine all the attitudes non black people would have towards black people in this country? especially from the poor? it would cause a lot of tension and probably race riots. i mean i think a lot of people would wanna leave the country due to the racism they may face and due to how bad things have gone with the economy.

or can you imagine if the black community stayed in pretty much the same position it is now? after getting all that money? 1 or 2 years of party and good times and then straight back to status quo? imagine how black children in the future would look back on such wasted opportunity or imagine the racists using it as a "well thats what happens when you give black people money..."

i mean this generation. regardless of race. is the least frugal generation to waste money on. we are the largest consumers and poorest of savers.

now black people have clever and dumb people like anyone else. but would really wanna waste half of that money on half the dumb people out there (btw i assume half of all people are dumb, not half of all black people)

so maybe you think regardless the money should be given to who ever and if they wanna waste it thats their prerogative?

or perhaps it would be better to pool this money together and start like a pan-african bank? or something like that? like leave the money up to a learned collegiate or intelligentsia of black academics?

or perhaps your one of the few people that's like "i actually like living in britain and want the country to be better and don't want to send it into a downward spiral of economic down turn making my £62,500 relatively worthless in a screwed up economy" and maybe to make less of a hit on the economy.
maybe create a government body that pays out reparations on application? something that requires you to do a bit of a "who do you think you are" of your family tree back to slavery.

i think that would be a good way to do it as it would cut some of the lazy benefit thief types from having the money wasted on them.

i mean this idea could plug right in the the black intelligentsia idea. because you could have a bank, it could have a body that funds arts and community projects and then also the reparations on application as well.

curious on your thoughts?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A government that wanted to whittle away that much money would collapse. The British people may not agree with some historic actions but anybody that things the electorate at large would pay this is in a dream world.

Personally I generally support the state/rule of law but something if this magnitude would be sufficient for me to back even an extremist party because I honestly don't think the white Brits would stand for this.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm generally against the concept of giving people money solely on the basis of their skin colour. Not all black people are descended from slaves and not all black people have been affected by slavery equally (or at all). And why, pray tell, should millions of white people who had nothing to do with slavery have to shell out billions in their tax money for something they never did to anyone?

And I agree with you that most of the payees would blow it all and end up right back where they started (screwing themselves--and others--over by bankrupting the government, too).

It's an all-round dumb idea.
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Considering the whole idea of Reparations is illogical we should have an illogical system of payment.

I think we should use a random number generator (between 0 and 1,000,000) and a random currency (only those in current circulation) to determine how much each person should be paid.

The perfect system.
-Native Briton-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
if reparations are paid then those that are paid should be deported immedietely to their ancestral homeland. After all we do not want them capitalising on their ancestors suffering by forcing them to live with evil whitey in civilised society
Catholic_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Black people started slavery.
Asurat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm black and I'm widely reaping the benefits of living in Britain as well as anybody who's white. It'd be ignorant to say that racism is dead or that the effects of colonialism aren't still felt in Africa, But I don't think any individual person in Britain (and the corrupt states in Africa) should receive reparations. IMO You can't heal the past with money and moving together as a cohesive society with different ethnic backgrounds would do more good than any sum of cash.
My opinions differ when it comes to Africa-Americans though
Asurat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by -Native Briton-)
if reparations are paid then those that are paid should be deported immedietely to their ancestral homeland. After all we do not want them capitalising on their ancestors suffering by forcing them to live with evil whitey in civilised society
If I were eligible and this were offered to me I (and probably many others) would grab this opportunity by the b*lls, contrary to what the superiority which your post implies Africa isn't a continental-scale Grand Theft Auto :-)
Time Tourist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Arabs should also then be forced to pay reparations, oh wait the Arab slave trade still exists and no one cares about it...
perfectsymbology
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It should be doled out in bunches of fives. It's up to you when you've received enough payment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (244)
13.76%
Impatient (218)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise