The Student Room Group

Mental toughness in a pretty ****ty living situation. Parents want me out basically.

I am 23 and in between jobs at the moment, living at home with my parents whilst interviewing for graduate jobs.

I get into a lot of very angry arguments with my Dad, my mother talks **** about me behind my back while talking **** about him behind his back. I basically knew that the guy very much hated me when he said he would rather not go to my graduation. So, yes, I graduated in 2013 but I had always dreamed of the ceremony I did not attend. However, I remember that day being very happy for me on a personal level of accomplishment against the odds. I did very very well to come out of a ****ty state school to where I got to. And if he did not really want to celebrate that with his son, then **** him. Cannot say I was surprised given our past.

So, yes, basically I am not in a good place right now. I have the money to live out on my own, but I just needed to stay there until I secured a role somewhere, i.e. I do not know where I am going in the country. These are just the facts, I am no innocent either, it's just basically become a unsustainable relationship between me and them. Our whole extended family have long standing feuds and to be honest if it was not for my Dad I would have really screwed over my enemies in the family already (and justifiably so). But you know, his loyalties have always lay elsewhere.

I am calm though and chaos has been the default situation for me for most of my life and I have always come out stronger and more determined. However, what I am worried about is the living situation in a new city, I want to be living in our one person studio flat basically. Nothing too fancy, just a place where I can live stress free and push on with my career. I think it is the right time to really push on now basically.

Say, in Leeds, or Manchester, what would be the average rent per week or month for a studio apartment? I have only ever really house shared and cannot be bothered with that anymore.
(edited 9 years ago)
I suggest a caravan.
Reply 2
Just like any other place there is no "average".
****e areas will be cheap. Supposedly desirable areas will be expensive and everything else falls in between.
Reply 3
Original post by JC.
Just like any other place there is no "average".
****e areas will be cheap. Supposedly desirable areas will be expensive and everything else falls in between.

Pretty much anywhere where some young hoodlum is not going to try and shake a knife at me for my iPhone really.
Reply 4
Original post by Tom_Ford
Pretty much anywhere where some young hoodlum is not going to try and shake a knife at me for my iPhone really.

Have you had a play with Rightmove?

Realistically, if you're paying less than £400 a month anywhere in the country it's not going to be that nice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending