****ing Lenovo laptops - pre-installed adware

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I recently bought a lenovo laptop. It came with a **** load of bloatware but the worst bloatware was a program called superfish. It's a ****ing type of adware ffs. My laptop started ****ing up and would no longer connect to the internet.

A quick google search of "superfish lenovo" and you'll find loads of similar stories.

So delete this bs from your laptop if you get it ok? This was just a heads up.

It's unbelieveble that companies would pre-install adware. I read somewhere that this adware gives lenovo some commission or something. ****ing ridiculous.

That's the last time I'm buying a lenovo laptop. I'm not an air-head. **** lenovo.

Peace out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty shady. Hopefully the message spreads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pretty normal for laptop makers to stuff their laptops full of bloatware.
    Just uninstall them all.

ReputationRep:
    yea you can probably remove it if you try hard enuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by what is life :/)
    I recently bought a lenovo laptop. It came with a **** load of bloatware but the worst bloatware was a program called superfish. It's a ****ing type of adware ffs. My laptop started ****ing up and would no longer connect to the internet.

A quick google search of "superfish lenovo" and you'll find loads of similar stories.

So delete this bs from your laptop if you get it ok? This was just a heads up.

It's unbelieveble that companies would pre-install adware. I read somewhere that this adware gives lenovo some commission or something. ****ing ridiculous.

That's the last time I'm buying a lenovo laptop. I'm not an air-head. **** lenovo.

Peace out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah but how do you actually remove this from your laptop? I've tried to uninstall it 3 times but every time I restart my laptop this adware is still on it.

Is there some software that will help remove it? From what I've read this installed adware pops up ads and stuff and when if you buy from that ad Lenovo get a share of the sale.

Very sneaky. By the way my laptop isn't new I just bought it second hand if that helps..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evelon)
    Yeah but how do you actually remove this from your laptop? I've tried to uninstall it 3 times but every time I restart my laptop this adware is still on it.

Is there some software that will help remove it? From what I've read this installed adware pops up ads and stuff and when if you buy from that ad Lenovo get a share of the sale.

Very sneaky. By the way my laptop isn't new I just bought it second hand if that helps.
    Delete from registry would be my guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evelon)

Very sneaky. By the way my laptop isn't new I just bought it second hand if that helps.
    I've got a Lenovo laptop but mine wasn't infected. I did check though using this:

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/pro...fish_uninstall

If that doesn't work then use Google to find what else you can do.

(Original post by Souljer)
    Delete from registry would be my guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And task scheduler.

When I have shiteware pre-installed on a computer, I just do a wipe (as facilitated by Windows 10) which pretty much always takes all that guff with it.

When I was a student and thus eligable for free copies of Windows, I used to take the machine home and do a completely clean install from images straight from Microsoft, even going so far as to remove recovery partitions.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. Step one on buying any pre-built PC: wipe it and reinstall the operating system. Always.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.