I don't know where to go in life!

Watch
username1075708
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi! I'm 21, I studied Media/Graphic Design/Photography through college & got a 2:1 in the subject with a foundation degree at university.

I've not been successful in finding a job with it. I'm stuck in retail full-time. As much as I love working with the people there, I hate the job!

I can't get a job I want because it's usually "you haven't got experience", I'm too nervous in interviews, or if I'm really interested in a job, it'll say something like "you need to have experience in (X)" and I don't have that certain thing. No one will ever tell you why they didn't employ you either - it's always a "Thank you for applying for the position of X at X company, but unfortunately on this occasion we have moved forward with other candidates" and they won't bother replying to you at all. It annoys me! No company seems to want work experience people either.

I either want to go into photography or journalism... or photojournalism!

Is my work that bad? Do you think that's why? I'd love to do more photography & writing, but working full-time doesn't let me.

My photography can be found on Flickr here. I like landscapes, nature kinda stuff. I don't like fashion/portrait style photography at all.

I also have an online news blog here.

I just feel a bit down with it all. I had a tonne of confidence when applying for jobs, but now I just feel like I'm rubbish at everything. I've had so many no's or no replies I feel like giving up.

What do you think I should do? How can I get experience? Who do I go to? Thanks
Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 2scotty)
Hi! I'm 21, I studied Media/Graphic Design/Photography through college & got a 2:1 in the subject with a foundation degree at university.

I've not been successful in finding a job with it. I'm stuck in retail full-time. As much as I love working with the people there, I hate the job!

I can't get a job I want because it's usually "you haven't got experience", I'm too nervous in interviews, or if I'm really interested in a job, it'll say something like "you need to have experience in (X)" and I don't have that certain thing. No one will ever tell you why they didn't employ you either - it's always a "Thank you for applying for the position of X at X company, but unfortunately on this occasion we have moved forward with other candidates" and they won't bother replying to you at all. It annoys me! No company seems to want work experience people either.

I either want to go into photography or journalism... or photojournalism!

Is my work that bad? Do you think that's why? I'd love to do more photography & writing, but working full-time doesn't let me.

My photography can be found on Flickr here. I like landscapes, nature kinda stuff. I don't like fashion/portrait style photography at all.

I also have an online news blog here.

I just feel a bit down with it all. I had a tonne of confidence when applying for jobs, but now I just feel like I'm rubbish at everything. I've had so many no's or no replies I feel like giving up.

What do you think I should do? How can I get experience? Who do I go to? Thanks
First of all, don't fret. The graduate job market is brutal and I was stuck waitressing for a while but it does eventually happen. Try writing letters to the companies you want to work for rather than going through jobsites that will submit hundreds of applications. Drop the letters off at the office even if you can!

It's great that you have a collection of work, it seems like it is all online though so make sure to print this all out and collate it into a portfolio that you can send to an employee before an interview or to leave it with them afterwards. I have done this in the past and it really leaves a lasting impression.

Are you in a position to get any kind of internship? I used to work my internship during the day and then work waitressing at night to get by and it turned into a job in publishing so paid off in the end. I know it is disheartening but keep persevering and trying different avenues and eventually it will happen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (642)
41.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed