The Student Room Group

Is this flirting

(edited 9 years ago)
Maybe he was just winding you up?
Did he say anything after you brushed it off? If not, then yes I'd say its flirting. Isn't it also a bit weird to say you love someone when you haven't even been with them?:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maid Marian

I'm hoping it's this but I'm not sure now.

Original post by TheDaylighter
Did he say anything after you brushed it off? If not, then yes I'd say its flirting. Isn't it also a bit weird to say you love someone when you haven't even been with them?:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No he didn't and we hardly ever speak, we're more like acquaintances so it was really random for me.
Reply 4
If he asked if you were Bengali then gave you a sentence in the language, he's done his research on it. I think he may be trying to spark conversation subtly. You probably should mention to his girlfriend, ask her does she know anything about him speaking any other languages, if Bengali comes up then it might be something he's learnt, but as she was sat next to him you say I can't help but think he wanted to say it regardless of who was present without them knowing. But also the fact he just nodded may show that he's misinformed, he might've meant something else.
Personally, I wouldn't wind a girl up by saying I love them in a foreign language, I learnt Italian to impress a few people after excelling in French, I think he's trying to establish a common connection. Just my personal opinion having read the post...
(edited 9 years ago)
Maybe that's the only phrase he knows (or one of the few)? I wouldn't go talking to the girlfriend as some might suggest as it was most probably nothing serious and one can do damage by making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Original post by Maid Marian

Original post by TheDaylighter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by BigPoppa
If he asked if you were Bengali then gave you a sentence in the language, he's done his research on it. I think he may be trying to spark conversation subtly. You probably should mention to his girlfriend, ask her does she know anything about him speaking any other languages, if Bengali comes up then it might be something he's learnt, but as she was sat next to him you say I can't help but think he wanted to say it regardless of who was present without them knowing. But also the fact he just nodded may show that he's misinformed, he might've meant something else.
Personally, I wouldn't wind a girl up by saying I love them in a foreign language, I learnt Italian to impress a few people after excelling in French, I think he's trying to establish a common connection. Just my personal opinion having read the post...

Original post by RayApparently
Maybe that's the only phrase he knows (or one of the few)? I wouldn't go talking to the girlfriend as some might suggest as it was most probably nothing serious and one can do damage by making a mountain out of a mole hill.

It is a weird thing to joke about but yeah it could be one of the few phrases he knows, I know he knew what he was saying. He said a few other phrases like 'how are you' but he struggled a lot and pronounced it wrong and muddled up the words, but when he said 'I love you' his pronunciation and order of words was perfect. I also always catch him staring at me but again I shook this off as nothing.
anyone else?
no. ur reading too much into it n his gf was next to him. I doubt he actually loves u if u dont really know each other
Reply 9
He's in love with you, I'm sure. Act on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
It sounds like a harmless joke. Perhaps that's the only Bengali phrase he knows?
Did he say anything after you brushed it off? If not, then yes I'd say its flirting. Isn't it also a bit weird to say you love someone when you haven't even been with them?
Reply 12
"I love you" is a weird pick-up line...
I'd guess it's the only Bengali he knows and was saying it in a friendly manner to impress you and create conversation. You are reading way too much into this and I'm pretty sure if he was interested you'd know by now. Also, he is well aware that you are friends with his girlfriend so why on Earth would he risk saying such in front of her when all you have to do is tell her what it means and it'd cause an argument.

If he was going to say it in a flirtatious manner then he'd probably say it when his girlfriend wasn't around and it was just you two alone. If at that point you went to tell his girlfriend he could simply tell her the incident didn't occur and you're making it up whereas in the situation you describe he'd be setting himself up as his girlfriend was present.

You are definitely making a mountain out of a molehill here. It's not your position to get involved over something so minor and trivial. You should only tell his girlfriend if he tries to take this further when you two are both alone.

Quick Reply

Latest