Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am going with my boyfriend to his Sixth Form Leaving ball...it is a black tie evening wear kind of thing....and I need to buy a dress- where can I get one from?? The only places I have thought of are Monsoon and John Lewis. I live near birmingham so if anyone knows anywhere, or any shops in general that sell this kind of thing...please let me know!!

ReputationRep:
    looks like i'll be walking round aimlessly then....

ReputationRep:
    My housemate got a nice one in TK Maxx, but its all a bit hit and miss in there. You could try Debenhams and other such department stores, or if your willing to spend a bit more money I'm sure there must be some smaller boutiques in Birmingham (I don't know of any, I don't know Birmingham very well, but there are some in Leeds so I'm going on the assumption that there must be one in B'ham!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    My housemate got a nice one in TK Maxx, but its all a bit hit and miss in there. You could try Debenhams and other such department stores, or if your willing to spend a bit more money I'm sure there must be some smaller boutiques in Birmingham (I don't know of any, I don't know Birmingham very well, but there are some in Leeds so I'm going on the assumption that there must be one in B'ham!)
    cool- thanks!!
    i didn't even think of debenhams!!!

ooh...can't decide where to go now- solihull with john lewis or birmingham with debenhams??? :confused:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    cool- thanks!!
    i didn't even think of debenhams!!!

ooh...can't decide where to go now- solihull with john lewis or birmingham with debenhams??? :confused:
    debenhams....they have a much better range of posh frocks (but not just old ladies in corset style)

Plus you can almost certainly find something else in brum if debenhams lets you down.

Have you looked at debenhams online shopping site?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    debenhams....they have a much better range of posh frocks (but not just old ladies in corset style)
    ok- good plan....start of in birmingham and if i get totally stuck- then pop into solihull on the way home!!!

*typing in www.debeham.......as we speak!!*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interiority)
    I got a really nice one from Debenhams... You could try Selfridges in Bham, though might be a bit more pricy.
    just had a look on the debehams website and seen a couple of nice ones...so will probably look in there first....

i have also seen a nice one in monsoon but fear that other people may have got it cos it is quite a small shop...etc....

i will also try selfridges...

Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interiority)
    The Monsoon in the Bullring had loads a couple of months back.
    * makes mental note to go to bull ring tomorrow*

ReputationRep:
    ooooo, im soo excited!! My 6th form ball is 2moz!! Got my dress from a weddin/proper dress shop, its v.nice! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x Dee x)
    ooooo, im soo excited!! My 6th form ball is 2moz!! Got my dress from a weddin/proper dress shop, its v.nice! x
    oooh wow!! i will keep my eye out for shops like that......:rolleyes: or maybe look in the yellow pages :rolleyes: hmmmm......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x Dee x)
    Oh yeah, thats another option, a wedding shop, obviously you don't want a wedding dress, but you could get a nice brides maid one

ReputationRep:
    :eek: a wedding dress!!!!
    oh, phew.....you mean bridesmaids....yeah might have a look- now i have so many places to go!!
    thanks everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    :eek: a wedding dress!!!!
    oh, phew.....you mean bridesmaids....yeah might have a look- now i have so many places to go!!
    thanks everyone!!

Jigsaw in cannon st do nice dresses as does coast. Whistles can be nice as well but it depends on how much you want o spend. The max mara section in selfridges is cool as well (or was it john lewis?)

ReputationRep:
    Seem to remember I saw some nice dresses in House of Fraser when I was in Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    I am going with my boyfriend to his Sixth Form Leaving ball...it is a black tie evening wear kind of thing....and I need to buy a dress- where can I get one from?? The only places I have thought of are Monsoon and John Lewis. I live near birmingham so if anyone knows anywhere, or any shops in general that sell this kind of thing...please let me know!!
    rackhams

debenhams

M&S bizarrley had some really nice dresses recently

ReputationRep:
    The Wardrobe boutique on the coventry roed to prom dresses.

The Great Western Arcade in Bham city centre have boutiques which sell nice evening wear so its worth a peek too

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is wrong with places like TopShop, Pilot and H+M?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepper)
    What the hell is wrong with places like TopShop, Pilot and H+M?
    they don't usually do prom-style dresses.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    COAST... absolute must for prom-searching. they have some corsets to die for at the moment and some fabulous skirts. i think you could wear about anything from there for black tie... even chic black tuxedo with nothing but a teeny silk camisole/ sticky tape under could look fantastic if youre feeling brave and want to look a little different to all the frumps in their hired out ballgowns. theres quite a good coast in selfridges, but for some reason it always seems really dark in that corner so you cant see stuff well! cheaper option along the same lines: oasis, they tend to always have a few almost readymade outfits. i can never get anything to fit in monsoon, but they have some pretty stuff. i have only ever had one dress from there which was a slinky floor length squinned affair... certainly made an entrance in that one... but you have to be careful cos a lot of people go there for their black-tie outfits so you risk having a twin! my last black tie outfit was a mish-mash of a long black silk skirt and a totally see thru lace top from d&g... i bottled out last minute and wore a little corset underneath, but the plan was to brave it in my bra (!).
    choose something different - show up all those dull people in their frocks and pashminas!!!

ReputationRep:
    Try Collette Dinnigan here are her UK addresses.

LONDON

COLLETTE DINNIGAN
    26 Cale Street
    Chelsea Green
    S.W.3 3QU
    London
    Tel: +44 207 589 8897
    Fax: +44 207 589 9686
    Email:
    [email protected]

HARRODS
    87-135 Brompton Road
    Knightsbridge
    SW1X 7XL
    London
    Tel: +44 207 730 1234

COCO RIBBON
    21 Kensington Park Road
    Notting Hill W11 2EU
    Tel: +44 (0) 20 7229 1010

MIMI
    309 Kings Road
    Chelsea
    SW3 3PE
    London
    Tel: +44 (0) 20 735 17192

FENWICK OF BOND STREET
    New Bond Street 63
    London W1A 3BS
    Tel: +44 (0) 20 7629 9161
    Fax: +44 (0) 207 4099 1890

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.