The Student Room Group

Think this guy likes me... but I only want him as a friend :-(

So....

Basically, there is this guy who I hang around with quite alot & we are quite good friends, but I think he really "likes" me and I am quite frankly a little worried about it.

We've only known each other since the middle of September when the course started.

We both take the same college course which means we have the EXACT same timetable so are pretty much together the majority of the time.

Although he hasn't officially asked me out, I'm pretty sure hes going OTT with signals of trying to express he likes me & as much as I appreciate the kind gestures and such, I do sometimes get annoyed but I try not to as I don't want to come across as an ungrateful spoilt so and so.

For example:
-He goes with me everywhere. He's like a shadow, literally when I'm at college the only place I can go without him following me is the ladies room!!!
-If we go into the shopping centre he always wants to buy me something. If he offered to get me a hot chocolate or something, that would be fine, but he wants to buy me DVDs, Clothes, Video games...
-He keeps trying to impress me.
-He flirts with me via texts sometimes.
-Everyone else told me the other day when he dissapeared briefly that he never stops talking about me.

Like I said, I think hes a wonderful person, I value his friendship (we always find something to talk about) and I appreciate the things he does for me.

I just hate rejecting people. I've friendzoned him once when he was getting really flirty with me a few months ago but I don't think he has got the message as I know hes going to ask me out again.

Here comes the dramatic plot twist...

There is another guy (we'll call him guy B so things don't get confusing) also doing the same course who I happen to have a crush on. Hes also a good friend and does things for me, chats with me, makes me laugh etc. I haven't shown any signs I like guy B yet BUT I feel more comfortable with him as he doesn't go Over The Top like Guy A seems too.

The even bigger plot twist is that Guy A & Guy B kind of dislike each other. Or at least tolerate each other. They seem to get on but at least once a week get annoyed and antsy with one another.

If I were to ask Guy B out, I would probably wait a few more months as I would want to be sure I knew him well enough (as Guy A is always around it is sometimes harder to have a straight, honest and non-awkward conversation with other people).

Guy A also seems to get angry easily if something annoys or upsets him.

Having 0% experience in relationships doesn't help either.

I'm really happy at college, this whole situation is the only thing bothering me. Other than that I'm quite happy.

So I have a few problems.

1) How do I get Guy A to back off a little but without harming our friendship?
2) I'm worried that if I reject Guy A but then ask out Guy B someone will get hurt (not necessarily the 3 of us but other classmates may get involved as we are all quite close friends, I don't want people taking sides).
3) As we all take the same course and spend alot of time together would it be better to just stay friends with both of them anyway?

I know I sound pathetic and ungrateful and probably a bit of a hopeless case but if anyone has some useful advice I really would appreciate it!

If you have read all the way to the end... THANKS YOU'RE AWESOME!!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
guy A has the 'clingy' syndrome

Try not to look pretty in front of guy A. Don't put up makeup, maybe make yourself a bit, a bit ugly for him so that he doesn't find you attractive and leave you alone.

Orrr smell like poop one day (for him only) and his 'desire' really dies after this.
Wow. Not like an episode out of Made in Chelsea at all :wink:

I suggest you just kind of isolate yourself away from A for a bit. Don't answer him back; he'll start to wonder why and if he's smart enough he'll realise you're just not into him. I know it'll be hard cos you do the same course but get yourself as further away from him as possible. If it gets too intense, just tell him abruptly that you don't like the attention even though you've already made it clear in the past (if you have made it clear enough)

With person B, I'd wait for a while. It's only been a few months and if it's just a crush it'll subside but if it's anything more you'll find out in a few more months and by that time you should have sorted things out with A and so you can go for B. Imo it's a bit too early.
He sounds beta
Don't worry too much about guy A's feelings, he needs to learn his behaviour is not going to make him attractive to women, you'll be helping him in the long run.
Original post by Anonymous
So....

Basically, there is this guy who I hang around with quite alot & we are quite good friends, but I think he really "likes" me and I am quite frankly a little worried about it.

We've only known each other since the middle of September when the course started.

We both take the same college course which means we have the EXACT same timetable so are pretty much together the majority of the time.

Although he hasn't officially asked me out, I'm pretty sure hes going OTT with signals of trying to express he likes me & as much as I appreciate the kind gestures and such, I do sometimes get annoyed but I try not to as I don't want to come across as an ungrateful spoilt so and so.

For example:
-He goes with me everywhere. He's like a shadow, literally when I'm at college the only place I can go without him following me is the ladies room!!!
-If we go into the shopping centre he always wants to buy me something. If he offered to get me a hot chocolate or something, that would be fine, but he wants to buy me DVDs, Clothes, Video games...
-Everyone else told me the other day when he dissapeared briefly that he never stops talking about me.

Like I said, I think hes a wonderful person, I value his friendship (we always find something to talk about) and I appreciate the things he does for me.

I just hate rejecting people. I've friendzoned him once when he was getting really flirty with me a few months ago but I don't think he has got the message as I know hes going to ask me out again.

There is another guy (we'll call him guy B so things don't get confusing) also doing the same course who I happen to have a crush on. Hes also a good friend and does things for me, chats with me, makes me laugh etc. I haven't shown any signs I like guy B yet BUT I feel more comfortable with him as he doesn't go Over The Top like Guy A seems too.

The even bigger plot twist is that Guy A & Guy B kind of dislike each other. Or at least tolerate each other. They seem to get on but at least once a week get annoyed and antsy with one another.

If I were to ask Guy B out, I would probably wait a few more months as I would want to be sure I knew him well enough (as Guy A is always around it is sometimes harder to have a straight, honest and non-awkward conversation with other people).

I'm really happy at college, this whole situation is the only thing bothering me. Other than that I'm quite happy.

2) I'm worried that if I reject Guy A but then ask out Guy B someone will get hurt (not necessarily the 3 of us but other classmates may get involved as we are all quite close friends, I don't want people taking sides).
3) As we all take the same course and spend alot of time together would it be better to just stay friends with both of them anyway?

I know I sound pathetic and ungrateful and probably a bit of a hopeless case but if anyone has some useful advice I really would appreciate it!

No!

This is...

TOO RELATABLE. Tomorrow I'm going to ask you out.

Sincerely,
Guy A
Guy A is ridiculously clingy, you seriously need to give him the signals to back off. Just telling him straight would be best
Original post by redeleven
he needs to learn to be more of an ******* to women, then they will like him more

No, just not follow them round like a puppy and try to buy their affection. Feel free to spoil your girlfriend, but never spoil a girl in hopes of making her your girlfriend. As for following them round everywhere, I shouldn't need to explain why you shouldn't do that.

Don't treat women badly, but don't treat them like they're better than you.
Reply 8
Thanks for the advice everyone!!! I've +1'd all you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Mankytoes
No, just not follow them round like a puppy and try to buy their affection. Feel free to spoil your girlfriend, but never spoil a girl in hopes of making her your girlfriend. As for following them round everywhere, I shouldn't need to explain why you shouldn't do that.

Don't treat women badly, but don't treat them like they're better than you.

Exactly my point!
If we were already together I wouldn't have a problem with it.

He even asked what MY PARENTS wanted for Christmas and he hasn't even met them properly!
I felt like saying "you're acting like we're engaged!"
Reply 10
Original post by Mankytoes
Don't worry too much about guy A's feelings, he needs to learn his behaviour is not going to make him attractive to women, you'll be helping him in the long run.

Because that's how he'll take rejection. I've spent enough time on TSR to know that when these clingy ass guys get rejected they go onto the internet and complain about feminism or the friend zone or how they're such a "nice guy".

Guy A sounds like a douche. Dump him and spend time with Guy B.
Reply 11
Something similar happened to me a while back. There was a boy who was in my group of friends, and he always hung around with me and tried to buy me stuff, even going as far to buy me my dinner one day when I hadn't even asked for it, and it was pretty much common knowledge that he fancied me. One night, he told me how much he loved me via text, and asked me to be his girlfriend. I didnt havr the heart to turn him down, and i didnt want to lose our friendship, so I said I'd think about it. He started out withe me more and more, and everyobody I knew kept telling me that we'd suit. Eventually, I plucked up the courage to tell him that I didn't fancy him and he cried, and spent the next few months trying to convince me to go out with him by guilt-tripping me, and telling me how much he loved me, and whined, saying that girls don't like "nice guys" like him, and I only didn't like him because he was fat. He told everyone how much he loved me, and begged a boy he knew I fancied to try and change my mind. In the end, he asked me, out of the blue, to text him a picture of my tits, and I refused. After that, he sent me a load of abuse, calling me a slag and even insulting my religion. Wasn't that nice, was he?
I know it's awkward because A and B aren't that fond of each other, but try and subtly hint to A that you fancy B. That might put him off you. Also, if he's always with you, try and arrange to meet other friends. I know this isn't what you're doing at all, but he might think that by spending all your time with him, you're leading him on to think that you fancy him.
Two birds, one stone coming right up!

Arrange something with Guy B (coffee/whatever) for a time that you're usually with Guy A. At some point, say to guy A, "well, I better get going, I'm meeting up with Guy B for coffee, so I'll see you later?". And then walk off. If you're lucky, Guy A will come on TSR and will be told where he's going wrong, and if not you can just rinse and repeat until he gets the idea. And of course you're getting to know Guy B in the process so if Guy A goes crazy and tries to kill you, there'll hopefully be a witness.
Ahh, the old classic :') Guy A is clearly trying to win your love
Once again thanks for all the advice. :smile:

I've reached my limit of +1's today though :frown:
Dump both? ... enjoy your school life!
if selecting one makes your situation awkward, then select guy C or none! little interest is not worth the trouble in my honest opinion.2
So....

For example:

Yeh he aint just gonna want to be friends...
Exactly my point!
If we were already together I wouldn't have a problem with it.

He even asked what MY PARENTS wanted for Christmas and he hasn't even met them properly!
I felt like saying "you're acting like we're engaged!"

It sounds like his thought process is that if he treats you like a girlfriend, you'll become one, like you'll think "this is great how he treats me, I should be his girlfriend". He needs to learn you need to show you're attractive in yourself, you can't buy affection.

Original post by tomtjl
Because that's how he'll take rejection. I've spent enough time on TSR to know that when these clingy ass guys get rejected they go onto the internet and complain about feminism or the friend zone or how they're such a "nice guy".

Guy A sounds like a douche. Dump him and spend time with Guy B.

Rejection ****ing sucks, and yeah, he'll probably act out at first, but in the long term he'll learn, we all do eventually.
Reply 18
I think sometimes you need to sit and think is it easier for us all to just stay friends

BUT

You also deserve to be happy, i have this problem where I cant seem to hurt anyone either (I was with my ex for two years and for atleast 8 months of it I wanted to finish it and stay friends but knew it wouldnt happen) sometimes you need to be selfish.

People get hurt in life, everyone does, heartbreak will happen to us all (my mums advice) and shes right.

You just have to decide if you want to hurt anybody and still have to see them at college.
Choose Guy D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending