The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harry_Smith64
Cool, thanks a lot! It would be pretty selfish of me to clog up this thread with my computer related woes :biggrin:

Plus all us computer builders are normally in that section :smile:
Hi Everyone,

Some exciting things happening at Bournemouth. Check out the new VFX Hub; a partnership between BU and AUCB; as well a whole ton of industry folk. Keep your eyes peeled for some very cool news very soon...

http://www.internationalvfxhub.com/
Does anyone know anything about Uclan (University Of Central Lancashire)? I've been on the website and talked to someone from the uni, but I'd still like a personal opinion from someone...
Reply 2203
Have you tried searching Youtube for Uclan + showreel or Uclan + animation? That will give you an idea about the work produced there.
Reply 2204
Hi moid, Saf and student room,
I am keen to work in America, and I found out one way to get there is by having a masters degree. I am due to finish BA Computer Animation Arts next year and would love to study some more and open up more opportunities for myself, where is the best place to do an MA in animation?

I am happy to stay in England or go abroad. Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by monkie
Hi moid, Saf and student room,
I am keen to work in America, and I found out one way to get there is by having a masters degree. I am due to finish BA Computer Animation Arts next year and would love to study some more and open up more opportunities for myself, where is the best place to do an MA in animation?

I am happy to stay in England or go abroad. Thanks in advance :smile:

Hey,

Well; certainly for me; a Masters opened a few more doors in the international arena - it was easier to obtain a VISA as I only needed 2 years work experience instead of 4; plus the Masters qualification helped with the the point system moist countries employ. However, a Masters isn't the only thing you will need to help with landing an international job; as mentioned good work experience is key; and to get that you will need a good showreel. So I guess you will need to find a course that hopefully does all of the above in one go. NCCA offer three course, MA in 3D Animation, MA in Digital Effects and MSc in Computer Animation and Visual Effects

http://www.youtube.com/NCCA3DAnimation
http://www.youtube.com/NCCADigitalFX

I think the NCCA runs some of the best VFX and Animation Masters programmes in the country - but I know of a few others depending on what you want to study. If you are leaning on the production side then NCCA, Teesside and Abertay (for Games) are very good. If you are thinking about delving into the theory of animation and film making; then AUCB in Bournemouth is great - as is Loughborough. You may also want to look at NTFS and Farnham. Moid can help with regards to Hertfordshire MA programmes.

Hopes that helpful.

Cheers

Saf
Reply 2206
Original post by Sofronis
Hey,

Well; certainly for me; a Masters opened a few more doors in the international arena - it was easier to obtain a VISA as I only needed 2 years work experience instead of 4; plus the Masters qualification helped with the the point system moist countries employ. However, a Masters isn't the only thing you will need to help with landing an international job; as mentioned good work experience is key; and to get that you will need a good showreel. So I guess you will need to find a course that hopefully does all of the above in one go. NCCA offer three course, MA in 3D Animation, MA in Digital Effects and MSc in Computer Animation and Visual Effects

http://www.youtube.com/NCCA3DAnimation
http://www.youtube.com/NCCADigitalFX

I think the NCCA runs some of the best VFX and Animation Masters programmes in the country - but I know of a few others depending on what you want to study. If you are leaning on the production side then NCCA, Teesside and Abertay (for Games) are very good. If you are thinking about delving into the theory of animation and film making; then AUCB in Bournemouth is great - as is Loughborough. You may also want to look at NTFS and Farnham. Moid can help with regards to Hertfordshire MA programmes.

Hopes that helpful.

Cheers

Saf

This is great, thank you :smile:

I will give it all some careful consideration.
I know there are some great undergraduate courses in France, Germany and Denmark, do you know of any Masters?

Thanks again
Original post by monkie
This is great, thank you :smile:

I will give it all some careful consideration.
I know there are some great undergraduate courses in France, Germany and Denmark, do you know of any Masters?

Thanks again

For me - Filmakademie is fantastic - of you are looking to study abroad - that is one my favourites. Not sure of they do a Masters though; and limited numbers I believe. Otherwise Superinfocom and Grobelin - but they are more of a Film/finishing school - great work though...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2208
I agree with Sofronis, the Film Akademie Baden-Wurttemburg is astounding - it is also free for those who have completed a degree and who can demonstrate the required level of artistic and technical skills. I don't know whether it's qualification is accepted in the US. I know that the US doesn't accept Supinfocom and Gobelins' qualifications, but there are ways around that - if you decide to study for a qualification that is not directly recognised by the Americans (by the way the Americans are reputedly some of the hardest people to get a VISA from, Canada and New Zealand are much easier) the trick to getting in is to work for an American company in the UK (or any other EU nation) and then get promoted internally to a position in the US. Admittedly not the easiest route, but it is a possibility if you don't chose a masters.

As a slight side track, you might not be aware that Animation / VFX market in the US is in major difficulties at present - many companies have gone bust and lots of production has moved to Canada where there are better tax breaks - so for the next few years I would say that the UK is a far safer job market.

Lastly the MA at Hertfordshire; there are two - one in Animation and one in Games Art. The courses both have a heavy theoretical / contextual side to them, and certainly are more useful to students that wish to push the boundaries of what animation is and define new ideas inside the area. If you do wish to learn more practical skills, all MA students at Hertfordshire can attend the BA lectures which cover pretty much every aspect of CG you can imagine, so combining the two skill areas can really help students make challenging work. I'd say that the students who get the most from these courses are those that have a clear area of research that they wish to spend a year with, that helps them to focus their goals from the start and get the results they wish.

http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/MA-Animation.cfm
http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/MA-Games-Art.cfm

Before you embark on any masters though, do consider getting some real world experience - all the best masters students I've ever taught have all worked in industry before realising what area of research they wished to get involved with, and that prior experience combined with a desire to wish to create new forms and imagery really makes for the best results.
Original post by moid
I agree with Sofronis, the Film Akademie Baden-Wurttemburg is astounding - it is also free for those who have completed a degree and who can demonstrate the required level of artistic and technical skills. I don't know whether it's qualification is accepted in the US. I know that the US doesn't accept Supinfocom and Gobelins' qualifications, but there are ways around that - if you decide to study for a qualification that is not directly recognised by the Americans (by the way the Americans are reputedly some of the hardest people to get a VISA from, Canada and New Zealand are much easier) the trick to getting in is to work for an American company in the UK (or any other EU nation) and then get promoted internally to a position in the US. Admittedly not the easiest route, but it is a possibility if you don't chose a masters.

I believe this is more or less the reason why Pixar have a Canadian office.
Reply 2210
Hey guys

Haven't been on the forum in so long (probably 2 years..) I remember finding this thread when searching for a place to study animation! Just wanted to thank everyone that ever gave advice and helped me on the way to choosing my course. Its great that this is still going and helping others out.

Quite strange to be sitting on the other side and reflecting back. Will try and put some help back into the thread if i can!

Tom
Reply 2211
Original post by osuoa
Agreed ati cards are just better, as long as you dont need the cuda tech for modelling - you dont + the added video memory is sweet for mudbox, soon though some cuda techs like iray and mari will take over and an nvidia card will be required, but not now.

No.
Reply 2212
Hi all,
i'm accepted in glamorgan university for motion graphic n visual fx.what do you think? Is this course/uni good?
Hey!

Recently, I've seen a few of my friends that already got a confirmation during this summer before the actual results day (from various courses). And I'm sat here panicking whether I'd get in :frown: I'm just wondering out of curiosity if any universities from Bournemouth or Hertfordshire have done this? - obviously not for everyone. I'm assuming some universities are doing this but not all? I don't know I'm just petrified D:

Also if you're one grade off from your offer by one grade boundary yet the other two grade offers you've excelled in. Would you still be considered into the course?

Hannah
Reply 2214
I don't know if Hertfordshire have such a system - and I'm on holiday at the moment so won't be able to check for you until after the results come out, by which point you'll know the answer to that question :smile: Regarding being one grade off - last year our Vice Chancellor allowed students to be accepted if they were one grade (20 UCAS points) lower than the required value for the course; I don't know if that is being repeated this year, but I would imagine so.

I wouldn't panic about things you can't do anything about (easy for me to say this I know), but look at it this way - you'll either have the scores you want in which case you go to university, or if you didn't, you can try clearing (although you still need the entry requirements for UH in clearing) or you take an art foundation course which will instantly give you the score required to get entry to any animation course and then you go to university the year after. If you were offered a place at either Hertfordshire or Bournemouth you're not likely to be crap :smile: So look at studying animation at degree level as an inevitable impending doom / educational experience that will either happen this September or the September afterwards :smile:

If you think about it, that's better odds than you can get at any bookmakers :smile:
Got my place at Hertfordshire for 3D animation :smile:, I'm really excited! Just thought I'd see if anyone else is doing the same course this september?
Reply 2216
Hey guys is anyone starting MSc Digital Effects at Kent September time?
Reply 2217
Original post by JeezeJess
Got my place at Hertfordshire for 3D animation :smile:, I'm really excited! Just thought I'd see if anyone else is doing the same course this september?

Hey,

Congratz on getting your place- im doing 3D animation at hertfordshire also :smile:
Reply 2218
Hello guys,

Basically Ive been checking Ucas Track entire day, and nothing has changed. As it was a conditional offer, it's still the same...I've applied for VFX in hertfordshire.
Got into Computer Arts Animation at Bournemouth :biggrin: So happy right now.

Quick Reply

Latest