Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation? Watch

moid
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by caustin)
Which sixth form preparations are favoured by uni for a games design degree? I have places at 2 sixth forms -one to do A levels in graphic design, computing, maths and english lit. The other to do Btec level 3 in gaming design and animation. I do not know which to go for! I would do the Btec well as its not exams at the end, but can also manage to get Bs at A levels possible A at the graphics. I want to make sure my uni application shows the best preparation, any advice anyone? I am on track for A at GCSE art but prefer the 3d element and my sixth form favours painting!
When you say Game Design are you actually talking about Game Art, or the mechanics of designing game play (Game Design in the industry means designing the game play, whereas Games Art means the actual artwork in the game). I'll assume Games Art, because I doubt there is any qualification that can prepare you for game play design Regarding what to study for Games Art depends on how well you can do at A-levels - if you can do very well (ABB or higher overall) then every university will be potentially interested in you because you won't count towards their numbers cap on students. The A-levels will probably make you a more well rounded person in terms of experience (not being completely focused on games is definitely a good thing in terms of finding inspiration and having different ways to look at problems), although I would advise a Fine Art A-Level because the most important skill you will need is that of the ability to draw. Graphic Design A-Level rarely teaches drawing skills - a certain amount of software and typographic skills, but rarely any actual art skills (admittedly there are plenty of bad A-level Fine Art teachers of course, so if you already know that yours do not have the skills to teach drawing, anatomy, perspective, colour theory and composition, then you might wish to look elsewhere). If they can teach this, learn as much as you can! Painting and drawing will outlive your 3D skills in terms of long term usage - you can teach yourself the basics of 3D without any problems; what you might not be able to teach yourself is creativity, and the aforementioned art skills. If the Gaming Design and Animation course is art skills heavy (most are nothing but learning software, and that sadly is much less than 50% of being a talented 3D artist), and teaches 3D as well, and the work of the students is impressive and the course lecturers can tell you how many of their students are now studying at the main Games Art degrees in the UK, then do that, as long as you are very sure that that is what you want to do for a career afterwards - the A-levels allow you many more possibilities in case you change your mind later on - and all of them (bar maybe Graphic Design) can be useful in a career in Games Art. And definitely do more painting
moid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lavinia94)
Hi!

Would you look at my artwork and give me some feedback?

http://lavinia94.carbonmade.com/

Thanks!
What sort of animation course are you applying for? I'm guessing 3D, but say if I'm wrong. Your life drawing is mostly very good (you could drop a few of the images with proportion issues, you have plenty of good images). The portraits are all well executed. Character concepts are well drawn, but if you have access to Photoshop, apply some Curves to the images to make the paper white, and a little Colour Balance to lower the blue hues. If the blue pencil drawings were in focus that would be lovely, a small (gentle!) application of Unsharp Mask might improve that - however if you present the originals at an interview, you can ignore this advice. Great to see some clay modelling, interesting character, and really impressive to see it translated into Maya, your topology is looking fairly clean If you want to make modelling the eye sockets easier and better, place a sphere in the scene where the eyeball is and then model the eyesocket area around that. The portfolio (in my opinion, this won't apply to every course in the UK) would really benefit from some colour paintings - the skull is great (although there should be slightly more darkness directly underneath it - in 3D that part of the shadow is known as ambient occlusion - shadows vary in density from the darkest parts nearest to the surfaces that cast them to the weakest points at their penumbra where they fade into the direct or brighter illumination in the area. I'd like to see whether you could paint a location with some composition / obvious focal point and show off perspective skills as well. Otherwise you're doing very well
Rockin Munki
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just got my offer for CVA at Bournemouth this morning! Can't wait to go there Thank you so much Sofronis and Moid for all the help.
caustin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks so much that was really useful - Im amazed at the graphics A level advice as it was opposite to what the tutor said for that department! the course Ive been accepted on was art heavy and 3d heavy but Im now seriously wavering to A levels as Im toying with Engineering now! thanks for the advice as it really made me think.
Sofronis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi all,

Just wanted to tell you all about a new Festival and competition we are running here in Bournemouth. Its open to all students (and recent graduates) who are/have studied at institutions across the UK. Its going to be great!

http://www.bfxfestival.com/competition/

Name:  Cycops_Applynow_v2.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  346.2 KB

BFX has two parts - a Festival and a competition. The student competition is designed to give you direct exposure to cutting edge practices and showcase your skills to some of the best supervisors, producers and artists in the VFX and animation industry. It takes place over summer 2013 between July and August for six weeks. Accommodation is free and a stipend is paid towards living expenses. The competition was developed by the NCCA and AUB.

As a team of 4-6 you will be tasked with creating a stunning 2-D or 3-D visual effects or animation sequence, based on a passage from classic literature. You will be mentored by experts from the leading British studios including Framestore, Double-Negative, The Mill, MPC and Cinesite and be assessed by a panel of independent judges. The best individuals on the winning teams will be given the opportunity to take up internships at some of the studios taking part in BFX. Spaces are limited!

Seriously - I've spent two years developing this with industry - its going be a fantastic - if you want to be involved take a look. No other event gives you direct contact to some of the best VFX studios in the world.

Over the next two weeks I'm doing a UK roadshow with a few colleagues to discuss the event further - so far we have confirmed Teeside (last Thursday at Animex), Bournemouth, AUB (last Thursday), Glamorgan, Newport, Portsmouth, NFTS, Ravensbourne, Central St. Martins, and Lincoln. To be confirmed are Hertfordshire, Southampton, Falmouth, Edge Hill, UWE and Swansea.

Would love to have you involved - please spread the word to other students and tutors. If we can; we will try and visit everyone.

The Festival is designed to celebrate the UK’s visual effects and animation industry, inspire the next wave of talent and share the latest knowledge. This creative extravaganza will consist screenings, master classes, an awards ceremony and other exciting events taking place across Bournemouth 25th-29th September 2013.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers Saf
Sofronis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rockin Munki)
Just got my offer for CVA at Bournemouth this morning! Can't wait to go there Thank you so much Sofronis and Moid for all the help.
Congrats - looking forward to having you here!
Shan-Sha225
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey Sofronis would you recommend geting a drawing tablet for CVA and if so what one should I get?
Sofronis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Shan-Sha225)
Hey Sofronis would you recommend geting a drawing tablet for CVA and if so what one should I get?
We have some here that you can borrow from the support desk. i would wait until you get here before purchasing anything - you'll save money as well.

Cheers
moid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm very happy to be able to publicly announce that the 2D Animation, 3D Animation and 3D Games Art degrees at the University of Hertfordshire have now been validated by Creative Skillset and given their tick of approval, meaning we join the select list of the officially approved best animation and games art degrees in the UK.

3D and 2D:
http://www.creativeskillset.org/anim...accreditation/

Games Art:
http://www.creativeskillset.org/games/accreditation/
moid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rockin Munki)
Well done, I guess I won't be seeing you in future then! Have fun, glad I helped
tangledweb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Daughter has made her decision, though didn't find it easy as the offers and options were all very good. Hopefully you'll be seeing her in the autumn at Hertfordshire, if all goes to plan.
moid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Quite understandable! I hope to see her in September as well
Sofronis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
An NCCA student doing his internship at Sidefx - not bad for a few weeks work - http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...466&Itemid=279
thunderboba
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, this is my first time posting here.

I'm in Year 12 studying a BTEC in Interactive Media and I'm currently predicted D*D*D*. I'm looking at Bournemouth, Hertfordshire and Ravensbourne (Only a last resort) for 3D Animation.

I know Bournemouth want a B in GCSE Maths, but the thing is I don't have that qualification. I've struggled with maths since junior school, had no support in high school blah blah blah and now I'm retaking at my college, but the chances of me getting even a C are zilch.

We do animation as part of our BTEC; I know how to use Maya and 3ds Max by teaching myself the software in high school. I also have a Level 3 Functional Skills in English, Maths and ICT (It's equivalent to a C and above at GCSE).

My question is, although I have a understanding of the software, subject and the passion, will not having maths hold me back? (Also, will anyone accept Functional Skills as an equivalent qualification?)

I'd really appreciate it if anyone from Bournemouth or Hertfordshire could help me out here!
moid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there

I'm one of the lecturers at Hertfordshire. I think we accept Functional Skills as a substitute for Maths GCSE; I'll have to check that for you. Regarding the lack of maths as an issue in 3D Animation, it all comes down to what area of the subject you wish to work in in the future - I wouldn't suggest programming / technical director / rigger type roles, but it wouldn't bother you in modelling / texturing / character animation etc - the more art side of the field as it were. Obviously a knowledge of maths will make some of the more complex areas of 3D Animation much easier for you; it's always worth feeling comfortable with a certain level of mathematics because 3D does involve it, usually whenever you need to solve things that are broken... you may find that if you have a practical application for maths in the software, that it will become easier to understand and use - for many people, pure mathematical theory is a major turn off; but if you can be shown that there are useful shortcuts to be gained from knowing it, you may find it easier to digest However, more of an issue though is whether your course teaches art skills, because most Interactive Media courses only teach software and don't teach traditional art skills, and those are rather vital for us (we expect some software knowledge as well, but we need to know that you can draw and paint). If you aren't being taught these areas, you have a year to push those skills to make sure that your portfolio will get you where you want to be. I can email you our advice for applicants info if you want so that you can ensure that you practice the correct skills; just PM me your email address (but you won't get a reply for a week as I'm about to go on holiday!)
thunderboba
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by moid)
Hi there

I'm one of the lecturers at Hertfordshire. I think we accept Functional Skills as a substitute for Maths GCSE; I'll have to check that for you. Regarding the lack of maths as an issue in 3D Animation, it all comes down to what area of the subject you wish to work in in the future - I wouldn't suggest programming / technical director / rigger type roles, but it wouldn't bother you in modelling / texturing / character animation etc - the more art side of the field as it were. Obviously a knowledge of maths will make some of the more complex areas of 3D Animation much easier for you; it's always worth feeling comfortable with a certain level of mathematics because 3D does involve it, usually whenever you need to solve things that are broken... you may find that if you have a practical application for maths in the software, that it will become easier to understand and use - for many people, pure mathematical theory is a major turn off; but if you can be shown that there are useful shortcuts to be gained from knowing it, you may find it easier to digest However, more of an issue though is whether your course teaches art skills, because most Interactive Media courses only teach software and don't teach traditional art skills, and those are rather vital for us (we expect some software knowledge as well, but we need to know that you can draw and paint). If you aren't being taught these areas, you have a year to push those skills to make sure that your portfolio will get you where you want to be. I can email you our advice for applicants info if you want so that you can ensure that you practice the correct skills; just PM me your email address (but you won't get a reply for a week as I'm about to go on holiday!)
Thank you so much for replying, this is a big help!

All of my tutors say that I seem to have a knowledge of maths, I just don't know that I'm doing it. My animation teacher goes on and on about how I must be doing mathematical processes because otherwise I wouldn't be able to use Maya at all. (He actually helps me with my maths paper; he opens up Maya and goes through how each question would relate to a problem while working in 3D, it's really effective!) I definitely know I don't want to enter the programming side of animation; I want to do the modelling and character animation side

I agree with you about my course however; we certainly learn more software than art skills. The closest we study is about colour theory. I finish my Maths retake in June then in Year 13 I might take an AS in Art, would you suggest that for learning the art skills I need?

Once again thank you so much for helping, I honestly wasn't expecting a lecturer to give me this much information! I'll PM you right now with my email.
crism
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just wanted to remind one thing i said many times before: whatever your choice will be steer well clear from Bournemouth and Poole College and their 3d modelling and animation course - especially BSc top up. Unfortunately, it is still Bournemouth University accredited course. Joining them you will waste both: time and money.
Sofronis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thunderboba)
Hi, this is my first time posting here.

I'm in Year 12 studying a BTEC in Interactive Media and I'm currently predicted D*D*D*. I'm looking at Bournemouth, Hertfordshire and Ravensbourne (Only a last resort) for 3D Animation.

I know Bournemouth want a B in GCSE Maths, but the thing is I don't have that qualification. I've struggled with maths since junior school, had no support in high school blah blah blah and now I'm retaking at my college, but the chances of me getting even a C are zilch.

We do animation as part of our BTEC; I know how to use Maya and 3ds Max by teaching myself the software in high school. I also have a Level 3 Functional Skills in English, Maths and ICT (It's equivalent to a C and above at GCSE).

My question is, although I have a understanding of the software, subject and the passion, will not having maths hold me back? (Also, will anyone accept Functional Skills as an equivalent qualification?)

I'd really appreciate it if anyone from Bournemouth or Hertfordshire could help me out here!
The Maths shouldn't be a problem. I spoke to the NCCA BA Course administrator and Framework Leader here and they said the following -

Yes, if she has Level 3 Functional Skills in Maths then this is a GCSE equivalent.

I believe she can apply for the CAA program see:

http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/cou...arts/none/638/

apart from their GCSE scores, applicants need to sit a maths test, a life-drawing test, a logic test, and show us their art portfolio; offers are made considering all these aspects, the students' background as well as their predicted grades.

Does that help?
Sofronis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
NCCA and BFX (http://www.bfxfestival.com) will be at FMX Festival in Stuttgart from the 23rd to 26th April 2013 if you would like to come and say hello. We will be in the School Campus Hall.

Cheers

Saf
thunderboba
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sofronis)
The Maths shouldn't be a problem. I spoke to the NCCA BA Course administrator and Framework Leader here and they said the following -

Yes, if she has Level 3 Functional Skills in Maths then this is a GCSE equivalent.

I believe she can apply for the CAA program see:

http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/cou...arts/none/638/

apart from their GCSE scores, applicants need to sit a maths test, a life-drawing test, a logic test, and show us their art portfolio; offers are made considering all these aspects, the students' background as well as their predicted grades.

Does that help?
This is great news! It's come in good timing actually, because of personal reasons I had to drop my maths retake. At least I have a qualification that will hopefully help me! Thanks so much for asking around, this has been really helpful

I've just enrolled on a life drawing course to improve my skills, and my logic's fine. Can't wait until I have to take my big test!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1366)
79.74%
Leave (347)
20.26%

Watched Threads