Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rockin Munki)
    Hello again guys, I'm got my place on the CVA course at Bournemouth starting next month. I've been wondering if/what kind of laptop I'll need for the course. I have a pretty good desktop which I've used for all my animating and gaming so far, so I'm not really looking to get a high end laptop unless I really need one.

I'm currently considering a chrome book or maybe an Asus transformer pad for taking notes, showing videos/presentations etc. But any insight you could give as to what I'd need one for or recommendations for specifics would be great.

Thanks
    Hey,

Congrats on the place! Its going to be a great year!! Ok so, I would suggest a tablet is pretty cool for notes or a basic laptop - I still prefer laptops as the keyboard is a lot better to type with. Galaxy Notes that come with the pen are pretty cool - good for quick sketching and idea generation. Save your money in terms of high end workstations or laptops - we provide all the hardware you will need; and if you were going to buy anything - I would suggest doing it in year two or three. Hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Apologies if this has already been asked elsewhere. Could anyone shed some light on getting into 3D animation and VFX without a relevant first degree? I'm looking to get into it and have seen a few Masters courses but most of them ask for Animation degrees or something similar. Do you have to do a Masters or are there short courses available? What would you suggest? (And yes I have Googled it... I just want to get an informed opinion on here).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

The Masters courses at the NCCA (Bournemouth University) do not necessarily require a degree course in order to study. However, you are expected to have an excellent portfolio or relevant experience in a creative field (not necessarily animation or VFX). We would discuss this at interview. Check out the details here:

http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/Cou...uter+Animation

Students who enrol on the MA3D course come from a broad background and age group. Applicants in the past have studied or worked in the field of fine art, illustration, painting, sculpture, graphic design, architecture, traditional animation, 3D visualisation, script writing, performance arts and photography. Computer knowledge is not a pre-requisite, neither is having worked in 3D before. The course tutors are more concerned with your aesthetic and/or technical abilities.

The normal requirements for embarking upon a postgraduate taught degree are:

• Bachelors Honours degree, 2:1 or above or equivalent
    • A professional qualification or diploma recognised to be equivalent to an honours degree
    • Industrial experience deemed to be equivalent to an honours degree
    • IELTS (Academic) 6.5 overall with 6.0 in all other components. Please see the International Students tab within Entry Requirements for further information
    • A portfolio of your work must accompany your application
    • An interview is required for this course.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Anyone else have other advice to offer?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if you want my opinion as well here goes! When you say getting into VFX / 3D Animation, presumably with a view to a career in the area and no previous experience in it, well that's a tough one... You don't necessarily need a degree in animation /VFX to get into a Masters in the subject ( at least not at Hertfordshire), but you do need to show a portfolio demonstrating some knowledge of the subject area, and to show how interested you are in the subject. If you don't have much previous experience you might want to consider studying part time to spread the MA over two years so you can learn more - I usually advise students who come to do the MA at Hertfordshire who have degrees in non animation subjects to do this, so that they can attend a lot of the undergraduate classes as well to pick up technical skills they may be missing. The subject is an incredibly complex one, mixing art skills and digital / technical skills, and the students that get hired tend to have a mix of these skills, and it does take a lot of time and effort to acquire enough of them to get hired in future.

Outside of a Masters, other options are private short courses. You could look at Escape Studios in London (very, very expensive) or if you solely want to be a character animator and nothing else, Animation Mentor is an online course that's worth looking at (there are others as well, but I only know of people who have studied on that course and were happy to recommend it). You could look at the online classes in VFX subjects that FXPHD run, I can recommend their training having taken part in a couple of their programmes, but most of their classes are aimed at those who already have a good knowledge of the subject and want to advance further. CGSociety also run a variety of online classes; I don't know how good they are, but many of the lecturers have high reputations in the industry.

Also how do you learn best? With a lecturer in a class where you interact with other students and there are briefs forcing you to complete things to tight deadlines, or do you learn happily from online classes, don't mind not meeting anyone physically and you are able to motivate yourself to study enough each week? That might help tell you which direction to take.

It might be a good idea to follow tutorials in the subject area at a beginner's level (Lynda.com or Digital Tutors sites can be good for that) to find out whether this really is definitely what you want to do (and it'll help you build up a portfolio for applying with) and won't cost you as much as either online courses or an MA. Or follow tutorials on Youtube for free

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! This thread has been so helpful.

I was wondering if Moid or Sofronis could please look at my life drawing? I would really like some feedback on what I've done so far as I'm starting a new life drawing course next week and I know I have improving to do!
    The ones I have drawn with people in clothes/stuff are drawn from photo site, they were still fairly quick drawings. Should I include ones like these in my portfolio, or should I only include ones I drew in actual classes from life?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9136802...7635700460406/

Last point. Does it matter about size when it comes to life drawing in the portfolio? Most of my pieces are about A4 size, a few A3.

Tak!

ReputationRep:
    If you can't get to a class, photos are better than nothing, but once you're in front of the real model you'll get a much better understanding of their volume because you're seeing them with stereo vision - you can draw from a 3 Dimensional form rather than copying from a flattened 2Dimensional representation of form (a photo). Also the chance to walk around the model to understand the body from different angles is immensely useful. Of the drawings you posted, the top five (from left to right) are worth considering for a portfolio (although I think you'll get better ones from your course!). Explain to the lecturer that you need harsh criticism and not happy tree hugging friendly hippy fine art criticism and that you won't burst into tears if he sees ten things wrong with your drawings. Chuck Jones once said that everyone has 10,000 bad drawings in them, so get them out as fast as you can By the way those top five drawings are good, the majority of the ones below are weaker so avoid those. Keep the paintings of the bull and the child, but in future look to achieve lighting across the surfaces of objects - the child particularly is 'lit flat' with little differentiation between highlight and shadow, and highlight and shadow explain surfaces and volumes to us; colour merely adds additional information afterwards. If you're unsure what I mean have a look at a few paintings by Caravaggio or Georges de la Tour or Rembrandt or the drawings of Pierre Paul Prud'hon where there is strong consideration for light and dark (chiaroscuro).

You don't have to go as extreme as those artists, but it would help add some drama and interest to your paintings which are currently at a documentary sort of level - they record what was in front of you, but you're not thinking about how to make the image exciting or appealing.

Size of drawings doesn't matter at all - once you're doing life drawings in front of a figure you'll be encouraged to work larger which will help you get more information down (and stops you getting very fiddly for a while!) plus looks impressive in interviews because of sheer scale Personally I don't mind though, whatever gives you good results. Your proportion is coming on, consider getting some details of feature areas - a page of hands in different poses, or feet drawn from angles shows attention to anatomy. You might be able to do those from friends rather than the life model (do as many full body images as you can from the classes, leave face, hands and feet to family and friends).
    If possible draw faces at night with the face lit by one desklamp on on side of the head, and a weaker lower powered source on the other side (laptop / computer monitor set to a mid blue or grey) so that you'll get strong contrast on the features - if you have a decent size mirror you could practise this with your own face. Another thought would be to try a medium with more darkness to it (you're using a 2B or similar pencil) - try charcoal and a putty rubber, or if you're more careful black conte or black and white pastel on a mid grey paper.

Are you Swedish by any chance?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Hello, thank you so much for replying to me. It's the most helpful advice I have had on anything! I wrote it all down haha

I am looking forward to working on my life drawing and other stuff!

And I have to say I am English! Though, I have some scandinavian friends.
    Thanks again for the advice and for taking time to look at my work!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

Moid, I'm Dan, sorry to be bugging you so much, I really want to apply to uni without any issues, and better be prepared now than stressed later! I'm the Portuguese guy if you remember me, haha. Thank you for the reply to the e-mail, but you ended up only answering one of the questions, and asking Dave the other one but he didn't reply, you sent this:

"Hi Dave - the applicant (Dan) is studying in Portugal and has the option to take two levels of mathematics (level A, much harder) and (level B somewhat easier) which are both at the same level as A-levels in the UK. From looking at the advice on NARIC, it says we need a grade of 10+ in Mathematics to get the equivalent for A-level maths (however we only need GCSE Maths, and there is no equivalent for that on the information on Portugal), so can we accept the applicant if he studies the easier maths route (B) rather than having to take the harder maths route so he can spend more time on his art classes? I don't need him to study the equivalent of a full A-level in Maths. Thanks."

Sofronis, I'm applying to Bournemouth as well, to the CVA course, same question, what type of math do I need to apply? I know you have a multiple choice test, is there any examples out there?

I'm pretty good at math, haha, I'm just not taking the hardest one because it's one more year and I need time to make a bad ass show-reel. If it's really needed, I have no problem in switching. I just don't want to have everything perfect and be denied because of math.

Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanDindarov)
    Hello everyone!

Sofronis, I'm applying to Bournemouth as well, to the CVA course, same question, what type of math do I need to apply? I know you have a multiple choice test, is there any examples out there?

Thank you so much!

Hey,

I would suggest doing the best Math level you can. I'm not sure what level B is supposed to be - I would imagine it is equivalent to an A/S level (first year of A'levels?). For me - its less about strategic marking and more about what you are passionate about. Do the Maths and the Art - just find some more time for the art based work - esp if you find the Maths easier, it won't matter.

For the CVA, I would suggest an good understanding of vectors, trigonometry, expressions, matrices and Logic.

It is multiple choice, but i know of no examples being out there. For a more definitive list speak to the the admin team at BU.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Its been a hectic few months here. I just wanted to share some NCCA news. Our new Postgraduate showreel is out - see here:

Our Undergraduate showreel is also here - http://vimeopro.com/nccaanimation/full-degree-show-2013

Also, our first BFX Festival in Freshers week was a huge success, attracting the best speakers from around the world. We really hope those of you studying across the UK can make it. Check out our contributors below -

Name:  ThankYou.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  103.0 KB

And lastly - if you feel like taking part in a competition next summer in Bournemouth whilst being mentored by academics, artists and supervisors from Framestore, Double-Negative, The Mill, MPC, Realise Studios, Hibbert Ralph Animation, Outpost VFX, Cinesite, NCCA and AUB - then keep your eyes peeled for an announcement in Feburary for new applications. In the mean time - check out the work created in 6 weeks, with no renderfarm and just 6 workstations per team.

http://www.bfxfestival.com/bfx-final-films-2013/

Cheers

Saf
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanDindarov)
    Hello everyone!

Moid, I'm Dan, sorry to be bugging you so much, I really want to apply to uni without any issues, and better be prepared now than stressed later! I'm the Portuguese guy if you remember me, haha. Thank you for the reply to the e-mail, but you ended up only answering one of the questions, and asking Dave the other one but he didn't reply, you sent this:

"Hi Dave - the applicant (Dan) is studying in Portugal and has the option to take two levels of mathematics (level A, much harder) and (level B somewhat easier) which are both at the same level as A-levels in the UK. From looking at the advice on NARIC, it says we need a grade of 10+ in Mathematics to get the equivalent for A-level maths (however we only need GCSE Maths, and there is no equivalent for that on the information on Portugal), so can we accept the applicant if he studies the easier maths route (B) rather than having to take the harder maths route so he can spend more time on his art classes? I don't need him to study the equivalent of a full A-level in Maths. Thanks."

I'm pretty good at math, haha, I'm just not taking the hardest one because it's one more year and I need time to make a bad ass show-reel. If it's really needed, I have no problem in switching. I just don't want to have everything perfect and be denied because of math.

Thank you so much!
    Hi Dan

Sorry about the delay in replying, it's been pretty hectic here the past couple of weeks. I'll contact Dave and ask him what the reply to your question is.

See you

Martin

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Heading off to Comic Con tomorrow and noticed that Hertfordshire will be making an appearance; I'll definitely be popping over, will moid be there?

Can't miss me, I have huge glasses

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer. I haven't read through the whole thread yet as I am pretty busy at the moment, though I will get round to it, thanks in advance for any help. Looking to have a career in 3D for games, environment modeller.
    (Currently in my last year of the BTEC in Interactive Media)

Firstly, in regards to a portfolio, assuming I have the right grades, it it possible to get into a course without much 2D art in it? As I rarely draw, in fact, I doubt any of my 2D artwork would even be portfolio worthy.

These are the only two courses I've looked at and feel drawn to, in order of preference:
    Modelling and Animation for games, Derby. (Been to an open day)
    Computer Visualisation and Animation, Bournemouth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am supposed to have submitted my UCAS application by the 31st :~(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunderboba)
    Hi all,

Heading off to Comic Con tomorrow and noticed that Hertfordshire will be making an appearance; I'll definitely be popping over, will moid be there?

Can't miss me, I have huge glasses
    Not I, but Dan (one of my colleagues) wil almost certainly be there considering he writes comics when he's not teaching If you want to have a look at the wondrous mind of Dan, check out his website http://e-merl.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chivarable)
    Hi, I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer. I haven't read through the whole thread yet as I am pretty busy at the moment, though I will get round to it, thanks in advance for any help. Looking to have a career in 3D for games, environment modeller.
    (Currently in my last year of the BTEC in Interactive Media)

Firstly, in regards to a portfolio, assuming I have the right grades, it it possible to get into a course without much 2D art in it? As I rarely draw, in fact, I doubt any of my 2D artwork would even be portfolio worthy.

These are the only two courses I've looked at and feel drawn to, in order of preference:
    Modelling and Animation for games, Derby. (Been to an open day)
    Computer Visualisation and Animation, Bournemouth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am supposed to have submitted my UCAS application by the 31st :~(
    Hey,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

You don't just need to provide a 2D drawn portfolio at Bournemouth, NCCA, but you would need to provide a portfolio that maybe showed us photography, sculpture, short animation or films, small games, paintings etc so that we can judge your creative ability. CVA course will also require maths. Hope that helps.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

If you missed the BFX Festival, or the Tech demos - then check out the BFX Archive, with talks from Maxwell Render, RealFlow and hdrlightstudio http://goo.gl/Wyv6K7

More videos to come very soon....

ReputationRep:
    Hi, all

I found that most of you guys enjoy the art side of computer animation, but i actually enjoy the technical side of it. haha and I found that there is a course called "Software Development for Animation, Games and Effects" at Bournemouth University. So does anyone know about this course? Can someone pls tell me something about it? does it require a VERY strong technical background like very good in math or programming? What is the difference between this course and CVA? and the difference between this course and those computer science courses at most of the unis??

Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanker)
    Hi, all

I found that most of you guys enjoy the art side of computer animation, but i actually enjoy the technical side of it. haha and I found that there is a course called "Software Development for Animation, Games and Effects" at Bournemouth University. So does anyone know about this course? Can someone pls tell me something about it? does it require a VERY strong technical background like very good in math or programming? What is the difference between this course and CVA? and the difference between this course and those computer science courses at most of the unis??

Thank you so much!
    Hey,

SDAGE is very much oriented toward the highly technical R&D, pipeline engineer role. Its CVA with a lot more maths, and less art. As you suggest strong maths and good programming would be useful - certainly an interest in logic and computers. If you want something with ART and Maths.Cripting/Programming - then consider CVA.

Our Undergraduate showreel is also here - http://vimeopro.com/nccaanimation/full-degree-show-2013

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sofronis)
    Hey,

SDAGE is very much oriented toward the highly technical R&D, pipeline engineer role. Its CVA with a lot more maths, and less art. As you suggest strong maths and good programming would be useful - certainly an interest in logic and computers. If you want something with ART and Maths.Cripting/Programming - then consider CVA.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you so much Sofronis! and btw, is it very hard to get in for thoes who dun have a strong technical background? even harder than CVA?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.