Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation? Watch

Deadfish41
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Purbeck is probably the best choice for accommodation as its in better condition than cranbourne, is an ensuite, and is right next to the town and beach. Also its where i lived for my first year ..

Only downside is you have to take a bus to uni everyday which is cheap (40p a journey) or you could walk it (30mins walk) .

You can't apply for accommodation until you've got an unconditional offer, basically if you have a conditional offer, you can only apply on the day of results. I applied at 7am on results morning to make sure i got purbeck as i knew it was the most popular choice.
Art Nerd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im at Bournemouth studying Computer Animation and live in Cranbourne house on Lansdowne Campus
I would recomend living on the lansdowne campus (either Cranbourne or Purbeck) because its a ten minute walk to all the shops, the beach and the clubs...so the only public transport you'd ever need to use would be the bus to uni which costs £4 for a ten journey bus card. If you lived on talbot campus you would save £4 for the bus journeys but taxis to the clubs would cost you a lot more. Out of purbeck and cranbourne a lo of people would choose purbeck, its a lot newer, but ive had a great experience living in cranbourne, and its a bit cheaper. some of the flats are party flats, but a lot of them vary, living in halls it can be loud, but if you need to do work you can lock yourself in your room and get it done. the atmosphere in halls is brilliant and you'll never get the chance to live in halls again so i'd say choose Cranbourne or Purbeck! hope that helps, will post my opinions on the course when i have a little more time :P love Abbie x
shodizzypirate
Report 10 years ago
Hey everyone, I've read this entire thread pretty much digging up information on Bournemouth. I'm from Austin, Texas, USA and I got a conditional offer for BA Hons computer visualization and animation and I'm trying to decide. Currently I'm admitted at University of Texas under a computer science major, but the problem is that UT has no digital graphics whatsoever, only traditional fine arts (painting, drawing). I've been set on Bournemouth for a while, I'm just debating if it is worth the move and cost to go to a university which has exactly what I want, or if I should stick it out at UT comp sci and get a masters in animation afterward. Any advice would be awesome!
cookiejar
Report 10 years ago
UWE anyone? I heard they built a new building specifically for animation.
slokcin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
-----------
kk8899
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shodizzypirate)
Hey everyone, I've read this entire thread pretty much digging up information on Bournemouth. I'm from Austin, Texas, USA and I got a conditional offer for BA Hons computer visualization and animation and I'm trying to decide. Currently I'm admitted at University of Texas under a computer science major, but the problem is that UT has no digital graphics whatsoever, only traditional fine arts (painting, drawing). I've been set on Bournemouth for a while, I'm just debating if it is worth the move and cost to go to a university which has exactly what I want, or if I should stick it out at UT comp sci and get a masters in animation afterward. Any advice would be awesome!
it is hard choice man!!

i may be staying ut and then study for a master degree. since u won't waste those credit or knowlege from ur course and pick up some elective from the fine art course is not a bad idea!!.

and may i know why u want to be studying in uk since usa also got some very good school for animation, like parson , pratt, school of visual art, south california and NYU....i am just curious. and of course u can do it in uk too, the RCA.

hope it helps!!
thumper_bear_09
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by slokcin)
Thinking of applying to Bournemouth but i was wondering, do they expect you to be competent with computer programming etc. before the course or do they start from scratch during? Any info appreciated
nope because I'm not but I got an offer
shodizzypirate
Report 10 years ago
hey kk8899, thanks for the advice *hug* UT isn't a bad school, a bit too close to home since it's about a 25 min drive from my house, plus about 40ish kids from my school are all headed there. Austin is such a big game and film city that it's really weird for there to be no animation or digital media courses. I did get into USC and NYU, but those are actually more expensive than Bournemouth (roughly $50,000 a year, minimum). I don't want to go to an pure art school like Savannah or Pratt since it's better to be strong in the technical part too.
Deadfish41
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by slokcin)
Thinking of applying to Bournemouth but i was wondering, do they expect you to be competent with computer programming etc. before the course or do they start from scratch during? Any info appreciated
You are not expected to know any programming when starting the course. I've never done it before, and they go reallllllllllly slow teaching you all the basics. You'll probably feel that theres a lot of different programming languages to learn in the first year, but it will all come together in the end. You'll learn C programming, MEL (maya embedded language) and shell programming (which is part of the principles of computer systems module). They expect you to know nothing about programming when starting which is why they go through it slowly for people to understand it better.

hope that helps.
thumper_bear_09
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shodizzypirate)
hey kk8899, thanks for the advice *hug* UT isn't a bad school, a bit too close to home since it's about a 25 min drive from my house, plus about 40ish kids from my school are all headed there. Austin is such a big game and film city that it's really weird for there to be no animation or digital media courses. I did get into USC and NYU, but those are actually more expensive than Bournemouth (roughly $50,000 a year, minimum). I don't want to go to an pure art school like Savannah or Pratt since it's better to be strong in the technical part too.
I think the cost would be a major concern for me as to where I would chose. The fact that Bournemouth has a good industry reputation, good facilites and would give you the skills needed for the industry I think it would be a good choice But I am biased since thats where I'm headed :p:
tomdrum6
Report 10 years ago
$50,000 a year :O

I though £3000 was enough

Well for me i heard bounremouth was ranked as #1 uk and #8 in the world, which is a great statistic, and will give me the best skills for the animation industry and to get as high up as possible.

Now to get my 3 b's
Con:
Report 10 years ago
Yeah 50,00 is steep,

same im just focusing on meeting the requirements, there are lots of good places to study in the US for animation but if the fees are that high i can understand coming to the UK, including travel and accommodation it would work out cheaper. Bournemouth is also a very good place to study animation, especially if you are interested in the technical side of the industry. Coming from a Computer Science degree, you should be ok with the work load.

Places voted by a 3d magazine in the UK as the best for animation in the US and canada are:
Ringling college of art, Florida
Academy of art, California
Savannah College of Art and Design, Georgia

well they are the top three, sadly couldn't find any in Texas, but if your looking to get away then England could be a good choice.

Is anyone doing IB, and if you have an offer what is it (if you don't mind saying), my friend wanted to know, he is looking at almost straight 6's with a few 7's (not sure how it work but hes says that quite good)
shodizzypirate
Report 10 years ago
Bournemouth definitely sounds like it would be an amazing and very useful experience. Doesn't hurt that you guys have some of the best music. I just saw Radiohead in Houston last night and I'm pretty sure I could die happy now. Well, I'll just have to keep thinking about this one.

Thanks guys!
Con:
Report 10 years ago
Where is the best postgraduate course for animation? (i know there are a few types) just thinking about the future. I here Kent has one of the best.
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on stats, guys. They're (the 3d world ones) based mostly on how many films get into festivals (two of the five which are in Japan). Look at the work students are producing yourself, as judges all look for different things (some panels will place emphasis on story, some on surrealist or inventive animation, some on traditional, commercial animation). Check out their websites, check out alumni websites and films, check out youtube channels etc.
karthik4u
Report 10 years ago
hi.i want to know the best university for 3d computer animation among these universities.can u tell me.
university of glamorgan
or
bounemouth university
or
glasgow university
or
university of kent
or
wales,newport
or
dundee university
or
bedfordhire or any other university?
Deadfish41
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Theres lots of information throughout this thread which is really helpful for you to make your mind up on which uni you prefer to go to. Bournemouth and Teesside are "meant" to be the top uni's for 3D animation.

Go on the skillset website to find more information on the top 6 uni's for animation in the country.

Good luck.
Con:
Report 10 years ago
I think it has a lot to do with your personal taste, through my research and visiting unis i find Bournemouth University to be the best (for me anyway) it also has the the most recognition for its 3D animation courses, although it does lead to the technical side of the industry. If you are interested in the creative i would suggest looking at Hertfordshire University as i was also highly impressed with their course and would certainly recommend it.

Hope this helps.
Eamonn2007
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Deadfish41)
May i ask what were your reasons to rejecting bournemouth and choosing teesside?
Hey.

Yeah, I got into Bournemouth no problems, (despite the life drawing test being a *****, but 100%'d the maths/logic) but from what I saw of the place and how it made me feel... it was just far too clinical. Not only that, but my Jesus does Teesside have far cooler stuff. And a lot more money is being poured into the university.

Also, I have heard a few horror stories from Bournemouth students. One guy I know had all of his work lost by a tutor, and another just plain hated his tutor, and basically said to me that he wished he'd gone to Teesside.

This is going to sound harsh, but Teesside has more of a... shall we say 'friendly' and less stuck up atmostphere. I don't want to be part of that egotistical shadow they hold over you at Bournemouth.

Plus, on my interview day at Teesside I met some really cool students who I pretty much clicked with instantly. So I got the feeling I'll be happier at Teesside.

So yeah. There are my reasons in honest *******ry. =]
mftx5kt3
Report 10 years ago
Hi everybody,

My name is Kevin. I am a recent university graduate having just completed a BA in History of Art. I am looking to do a Masters in Animation, but have not got enough materials for my portfolio, and am wanting to enroll in a portfolio preparation course at CSM / or other art colleges (please advice which one is the best, and which sorta price range am i looking at?)

Could you please advice me whether or not these courses are good enough to help me to build up a good portfolio for my entrance to do a MA in Animation (hopefully Bournemouth - that'd be a dream)

Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate your patience and advice.

Kevin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads