The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Hey could someone help me please. I want to look mainly at 2D animation and so far have liked the looks of Hertfordshire and The Arts Institute at Bournemouth but dont know which one would be best to put at no1 on UCAS and also need one more route B and two route A's. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me as soon as possible:smile:
Reply 361
yes i would like to see some portfolio exampels!
Hey

I know the maths test in BU is multiple choice if I gather correctly, but I just wana know if your allowed to use calculators in the maths test at BU: e.g. for some instances of trignometry when using sin, cos or tan to find an unknow angle.

Thanks

And those who have their interview on the 14th Good Luck
nope no calculators allowed if i can remember correctly. bring one just in case its changed since my time.
Oh ok. Thanks Dan.
Reply 365
woemogget
Hallo all, um I was wondering if anyone knew what they look for in your portfolio? I'm assuming life drawing is obviously a very big part of it but what else do they look for?

Also, anyone going on the 14th, I'll be there too!! Ahaha. :smile:

Helooo, im going on the 14th too :biggrin: in my portfolio ive put life drawing, paintings, and loads of photos of my 3d work which i had quite a pit of, and then i might bring my sketchbook but not sure coz i think irs rubbish, dont really know exactly what theyre looking for, bit worried as most my art isnt literal so they might not like it :frown: we'll see
Innuendo_anonymous
Hey could someone help me please. I want to look mainly at 2D animation and so far have liked the looks of Hertfordshire and The Arts Institute at Bournemouth but dont know which one would be best to put at no1 on UCAS and also need one more route B and two route A's. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me as soon as possible:smile:

I'm researching this for my daughter. I've found the two you are talking about, I have also found Maidstone, Farnham, Bedfordshire & Portsmouth, so I will be looking further into those too, take a browse at their websites. :smile:
To everyone already in Uni - Did you all have to do a diploma foundation in art & design? I've been reading about it & I've read that you only have to do this if you are still not sure which art to choose. As my daughter knows she only wants to do animation, should she still be going for this before Uni?

Thanx.
How long after interview generaly does it take for BU to tell you wether you got in?
dharmadoodle
To everyone already in Uni - Did you all have to do a diploma foundation in art & design? I've been reading about it & I've read that you only have to do this if you are still not sure which art to choose. As my daughter knows she only wants to do animation, should she still be going for this before Uni?

Thanx.

For some universities it is a necessity but for Bournemouth and others more reputable for the course, it isn't needed. If she is dead set on animation then I'd advise her to just apply straight to university. She could always apply for a foundation degree too, incase she is rejected.

On another note guys, I withdrew, apologies for being so traitorous! Let me know how you get on all those who go on the 14th.
I want to take Animation course. Shld I go for Bournemouth or Arts Institute at Bournemouth?? Whats the difference?
Reply 371
Hi,

I've applied to Portsmouth, Swansea, Teesside, Herts and Bournemouth for animation.

I've got interviews at all except Swansea, I was just wondering about the portfolio as I'm coming into animation from the technology side,
How many pictures would they expect?
What sort of level drawing would they want, GCSE, A Level?

And have I got a chance in getting into say bournemouth even though I haven't done art at GCSE or A Level?

Thanks for your help
Reply 372
@ Animator21

The Arts institute Bournemouth course is 2D animation
Bournemouth NCCA is 3D

@Marink
It really depends on how good your drawing skills are, if they are still at a good standard then they may over look it, or if you have incredible digital skills then this could also work in your favour

@Woemogget
Chill, and good luck to all those you have upcoming interviews.

@dharmadoodle
This really depends on how good your daughters drawing/art skills are, there are a couple of people with weak drawings skills on my course (Herts) and they are struggling at the moment so would definitely have benefited from doing a foundation/diploma. I went straight from Alevels to the course because of some extra life drawing classes i had been taking for a couple of years, so it is definitely possible to get on without one, but you have to consider her skills.

@Everyone
This is the same for the technically side of the course, students must be prepared to put the extra effort in and work that extra hour in labs after a 6hr day of lectures or they wont achieve anything. Drawing skills are vital in this industry, so if you are unable to draw now then get practising!!:biggrin:
Choice 1: Bournemouth University (B50) Computer Visualisation and Animation (W280)
Choice 2: University of Hertfordshire (H36) 3D Digital Animation (W617)
Choice 3: Southampton Solent University (S30) Animation (E615, Route B preference:1)
Choice 4: University of Teesside (T20) Computer Animation (GW42)
Choice 5: University of the Arts London (U65) Animation (W616)

Here are my choices. Have to submit in around 12 hours. UCAS. Are they fine? Any other good institute for animation. Please tell. Also for Southhampton, should I got for Animation with foundation studies or only Animation? Whats the difference? Would that be an extra year or something? And they have course code E615 and also W615 for Animation. I can see that in UCAS, but on southhampton website, I can't even see Animation course. :| Whats the difference? Any other good universities?
Gd Luck All You Guys
any news on how it went and what to expect guy?
I'd like to say that Hert's interview process has gotten ridiculously more difficult in the last few years, from what I understand. I got lucky and snuck it before that happened, but honestly, I genuinely don't think, If I applied now with the folio I had back then, I'd have gotten in. Here it is. Please don't judge me!! Remember, it was three years ago!

(For what it's worth, my latest one can be seen here.)
Can anyone please tell me what being Skillset accredited actually means? Basically, is this a big deal?
Before you read it, my writing isnt so good, because ive wrote it up quick. and some of if might not make sense, but i can explain. again i apologize for the the worst english you have heard an english person speak. ha. im quite clever when i think what im talking about and im not hung over.

Hey Im applying this year to do a course in computer animation.
Im liking bournemouth, hertfordshire, glamorgan the most.

I applied to swansea and teeside also. I dont know too much about teeside except the skillset accreditation. and after talking to swansea university stand at some art and design fair thing. I really liked the sound of swansea. but then when i asked my teacher about it, and looked it up on the internet it doesnt seem so certain and sure of a good course? etc

I dont know.

Bournemouth:
-the best course or one of the best courses to apply for.
-the not so good student atmosphere.

Hertfordshire:
-sounds good and has good work from it
-but is it a good uni to live at and such

Glamorgan:
-good course, but not as good as the other courses?
-living there seems really good! relaxing, cheaper. trainstation across the way from the uni.

Swansea:
-good course?
-is it really one of the good courses to go on, and then is it orite to live there?

teeside:
-a goodish course because skillset said.
-living there ok? or not so.

I need to look into them more. but overall i just want to go on a good course and a good place to go to to be living there.

everywhere is far away from home for me. so living there happiliy is really important. i went to see my friend in sheffield, and the supermarkets are too far away, the trainstation was kinda too far away. and thats another thing with bournemouth uni, for having the uni 40 minutes away, and the asda superstore too busy to go to. if i was to live in accomodation off campus. (this is based on going there for an open day and spending two days in bournemouth)

I havent spoken to anyone whos at uni, and thought this site would help me out, because of some of you members, that seem really helpful!

Along with the whole deciding where to go, i have the other worry of getting anywhere.

at gcse i got C's, E in Re and Merit in GNVQ ict, which is allegedly equal to four gcse B grade.

then college came along. and i only have 2 A levels at C grade in film and art(graphics) i failed applied ICT for both the years, and got an E grade in media studies at AS level. So for grades im not really good. or anything to consider. but im taking an art foundation course this year. and have developed alot of good life drawings. and in my spare time I enjoy coding, designing and making websites. so i feel that because of my life drawing and nack for web coding and various computer programs. i feel personal i have the ability to do the course.

even though ive mentioned this in my personal statement with ucas. i dont think it would help me much for the whole applying and getting accepted, because of my grades. and failing ict does not help what so ever with the application. i was very good at designing and completeing the work when its there in front of me, but having to explain all the little steps for the coursework, is what made me fail. Put something in front of me and i'll mess around with how to work it, but make me approach in logically studently? then it takes the fun out of it. and i loose interest. because i know i can do it, but having to work it out and think about how im going to illustrate to the examiner how i do everything to every detail. then i see it as lots of unchallenging/learning work ive got to do. :/

so! it would be interesting to see what the uni courses are like and how your assessed. to see if im pretty much not going to do well or i could have a bit of hope.

ive wrote so much. of this and that, that youve probly got lost and it makes no sense. but! anyways. i'll explain anything if you want to reply to me.

thank you =]
dharmadoodle
Can anyone please tell me what being Skillset accredited actually means? Basically, is this a big deal?

basicly its just a website,that has a list of courses that are skillset accredited.
these courses supply the right information etc to teach people the skills needed in the animation industry. If you took any animation course, like this one i was interested in at manchester met, it was was just a course on developing and illustrative style of animation. just producing drawings, and not being told of the animation industry itself.

theres lots of factors really. but basicly it just narrows it down. and shows people which are more accepted in the animation industry if you wanted to finish uni and land yourself a job in animation.

http://www.skillset.org
it applys to other mediated courses aswell, like film and games design.

Quick Reply

Latest