Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    @ashtonised

hell yeah on getting a conditional!

i just checked my emails and ucas and i have nothing.. no letters either. hmm... should i contact them? Yeah i was at the 11th interviews, where they couldnt get the projector working lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi Orb, Be patient. Fingers crossed for you...... and good luck.

Hi Ashtonised - did they state what your conditional offer is? Like what grades do you have to get for what subjects? I wonder how they set your grades to subject if you're doing a National Diploma in Art & Design. Any idea?

Anyone - re BU - Were there a few interviewers around to interview everyone? Do they call each one up alphabetically, you think?

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks orb.
    no way where you there?! who were ya! there was a bunch of posh boys a bunch of mosher looking lad, a few shy looking lads and then a few more guys and then... a few more guys and two girls. or was there three girls? i dunno. what did you think of the tests! and the interview?! i thought the maths test was shocking what on earth was it on about!

and behappy! my conditional offer is great if i get at least a merit on this foundation course. I can get either a pass, merit or distinction. So yep im concentrating on my college work now

ReputationRep:
    Well Done Ashtonished

@ Orb

Hold in there man...hopefully it will come..Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashtonised)
    hey thanks orb.

and behappy! my conditional offer is great if i get at least a merit on this foundation course. I can get either a pass, merit or distinction. So yep im concentrating on my college work now

Wow, that's a great condition!:woo: Good luck and all the best. What foundation course are you doing?

Tashan - thanks again. Sorry, I spelt it without the 'n' but inside my head it does pronounce it with an 'n'

My girl is having her BU interview tomorow...... I'll have to hang around until she finishes and no I won't take my sleeping bag with me, lol. I'll try not to snore too loudly sitting around. Might visit the accommodation and have a chat with someone there at Talbot House. I think living on campus is easier - can dash to lectures in the morning ..... Must have early night as early start 2moro morning!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    its been 2weeks as of tommorow, the waiting is killing mee arghhhh
    i dont think ive made it they would have said by now if i had its like mind torture

@ashtonised erm, well i wasnt the dude in the suit. maybe i was the mosher guy you speak of? or the shy guy? lol i dont know i was the one who came in when the logic test was starting, i think i was the last one. i had to go back at lunch to do the maths test which was...you know, it was pretty damn confusing. I thought the algebra was ok, but the whole ting sin cos wang thing went over my head. i got interviewed first by susan, (@behappy there was 5 interviewers and my surname begins with a G so it might be alphabetical) i thought it was gonna go bad but she was really cool and made me relax and it went on for over 30min so i guess it went ok. how did you get on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by behappy8)
    Tashan - thanks again. Sorry, I spelt it without the 'n' but inside my head it does pronounce it with an 'n'
    Lol joka ...its kool, as long as u know :woo:

Good luck to all those with interviews tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    behappy, how was the interview?!

and orb, at least you had something to then do at the lunch hour break haha. i was wonder what on earth i was going to do. and yes the maths was very difficult! dont think many got it what other unis have you heard from or applied to?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for your help re tests etc. + all info. within this thread.

behappy, how was the interview?!
    Ashtonised hi, the day went well for her. She done maths revision on Monday/Tuesday night with a friend who's ace in this. There was @ 25 candidates on the day - good mix of boys/girls. She was OK with the maths, couple of questions she didn't have any clue to. Anyway it's all over, the anxiety of it all doing the tests. She scored 81% for maths and 80% for logic. When she was drawing the life drawing - this person who was walking around commented that something she drew was good lol.:yep:

She wasn't called till 3pm for the interview - Phillip was the interviewer, she said it went well. He said to her that it looks like she's interviewing him instead .... lol. Said he enjoyed looking through her work especially her sketch book and various workbook but couldn't flip through them all due to time factor. Said some of her work was quirky? I take it he likes them so it is good? Was there for about 30 mins. He feels she's a character animator and they don't get many students there taken on as that after they finish their course. There's a lot of character animators out there but less of Technical Directors. Students there are mostly taken on as Technical Directors. Maybe a traditional course might suit if she wants to do character animation. But, of course, she said she wanted to learn the techy bit too. He said she could do either of their courses at BU as she's got the ability.
    Usual questions, why do you want to do this course and why here at BU etc.

She asked the question whether she can change her choice to BA Visualisation and Animation instead of BA Computer Animation - Arts? She was told that they will all do the same thing in the first year and at the end they can decide which steam they want to go into. BU have dropped the 'BA Visualisation and Games' course so now only the other two left - not sure whether going ahead with the 'Computer Animation - Arts' course yet still.:confused: So who knows, might come back to sq. one.

Also asked why the BU Prospectus said the course is 4 years with a 1 year placement? Reply - the course is 3 years but you can do an extra year as a Master Degree - cheaper this way, save £5,000.

Somebody she met there told her that he got an unconditional offer straight after his interview at Teeside! How great is that!

OK, that's all I can remember. I was dead beat when we got back yesterday evening, ate leftovers and went to bed!!

Tomorrow, we go to University of Hertfordshire for her interview at 2pm - 3D Animation. I've already gone there last week as my other twin girl had her interview for Graphic Design - and she got an offer there and then - they're not asking for much - a pass will do! I must say I liked the animation posters - looks very good, done by students (on the wall, on the 2nd Floor (I think)) when I went around looking last week at the newish building (can't remember the name).

Once again, thank you everyone for your comments/advice re interviews, tests etc.

ReputationRep:
    Incase anyone's still interested in applying there, Bournemouth University - Computer Visualisation & Animation has gone into Ucas Extra.

ReputationRep:
    @ behappy

Sounds like it went real well....from what your saying to me sounds like she will get an offer.

And for real they dropped the Games course? My friend had an interview there yday and got put down for all three of the courses.

Wierd.:confused:

But again well done...it will pay off...ill b suprised if your daughter does not get an offer.

Hola:yep:

ReputationRep:
    behappy, that is very very good ! im sure she'll hear from them soon! im happy for you guys. You'l have to tell us when you hear from the uni.

ReputationRep:
    behappy, that is very very good ! im sure she'll hear from them soon! im happy for you guys. You'l have to tell us when you hear from the uni.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    Incase anyone's still interested in applying there, Bournemouth University - Computer Visualisation & Animation has gone into Ucas Extra.
    Hi PurpleMonkeyDishwasher, what does it mean - has gone into UCAS Extra? :confused:

Tashan, yes it does seem weird but the interviewer Phillip did say that they won't be running the Games course anymore.

Ashtonised, yeah, we're keeping our fingers crossed - now's the waiting game, I wonder how long we'll have to wait and yes, sure will let you guys know! I even saw some people came out of the interviews without carrying anything - ?no portfolios??? Really, nothing they are holding at all. They couldn't have brought a disk and no computer to play it back? Somebody did bring in a laptop. But I was truely surprised that they didn't bring anything that is visible to my eyes? Amazing. :rolleyes: Could you believe it?

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. I'll update you guys 2moro re interview at UH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomdrum6)
    Hey guys, im in the first year of animation at bournemouth

just wondering if your aware that they are bumping up the intake to 100 people, not sure how that is going to affect the course. You also get the 2nd year labs i beleive >:|

has any1 been accepted yet? cant remember when you get told?

Would be nice to get to know the 1st years

Also the Maths this year is pretty hard, simply because our current teacher likes to complicate things. People who do A level maths may find it tolerable. I only did As level.

Dont worry to much about life drawing. Theres a subject called PCS (principles of Computer systems) which is tough aswell. Many people on the course were expecting less technical stuff, so just mentioning that theres alot of "other subjects" other than learning to animate / model. Infact you pretty much pick that up from the 2nd years / yourself.

Any questions il be happy to answer if i can

Hey, ive got a conditional for bu comp animation n visulaisation. Im only doing maths AS level too, do u think im gonna struggle?
    also, this thing about having more people, do u think we'll get less attention from tutors?
    and are u enjoying the course so far?
    sorry about all the questions, pretty curious:redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woemogget)
    What?! Omg, I was always under the impression it was a competitive course?! Oh, I need help, I have to decide between Computer Science and Computer Animation...what to do what to do..
    The Hert's courses usually do, too, yet they do turn down a fair few people at interviews. If they think you're not good enough, they won't let you on, whether you apply normally or via Extra. I think the purpose of going into extra is for people torn between doing animation and another, similar discipline (art, graphics, special effects etc) who might have either changed their mind or simply not got in.

ReputationRep:
    Ashtonised, Tashan and everyone else
    Gosh, we're so happy! Guess what it's double whammy..... we went to University of Hertfordshire (UH) this afternoon (as you all know) and YES she's got an offer:yep: She was already so happy about it and now couldn't decide which one she would really want to go to if BU also give her an offer. Don't know what the conditional offer would be - have to wait to see the letter in @ 2-3 weeks time.

Anyway, on arriving home this evening, she checked her email box and got an email from UCAS so went on track to have a look and again YES from Bournemouth University:woo: Gosh so quick - only 2 days for their reply!!!....:woo: :eek3: :yep: She was so excited and called me into her room to see it on her computer. She now have the hard choice of making a decision - which will be her first? Oh, her conditional offer is she have to get from her BTEC National Diploma in Art & Design - Distinction, Merit, Merit.

So now she's got AIB to go to next Tuesday so she thinks she might not go to that interview as there's no point as you can only accept 2 offers?

Anyway, UH interview - the interviewer said she can draw and proportion is good, can invent worlds, everything was OK except she didn't bring any CG work with her but not to worry, it only means that she would have a hard time during the first 3 months or so getting to grip with CG and then she would be fine as her art will come through after. Parents could go in with the applicants to listen and watch (showed pass years animation works) their chat about the course and then we all went out of the room and they called people in - 3 interviewers so 3 interviews going on at the same time in the same room - lasts about 15 - 30 mins. My girl was in there for only @ 15 mins. I could see her through the glass on the door and she was smiling throughout her interview - she later told me that she was happy today. She was told that she can do either 3D or VFX. All the first year's are the same in their course - decide which to branch out to at the end of the 1st year.

It's gonna be hard for her to make a decision - one is very techy and the other not. Has anybody got any advice? Because she hasn't done any animation at all, it's very difficult to know which type she would really prefer to study in? Any advice, comments, pass experiences would be very much appreciated - help please?

So, Ashtonised/Tashan - have you picked your 1st and 2nd choice yet? Or have you guys not finished with all your interviews?

ReputationRep:
    So, Ashtonised/Tashan - have you picked your 1st and 2nd choice yet? Or have you guys not finished with all your interviews?
    First of WELL DONE TO YOU DAUGHTER...Hopefully see her in september if she chooses BU.

and yeah i confirmed my offer with Bournemouth s my firm choice. I withdrew my application from all my other interviews (AiB, HU, Ravensbourne and Teesside), because Bournemouth was the only place I wanted to go , so I thought I might aswell give an interview to someone who wants it.

I know that knowing some tech stuff helps in animating. Ask Dan aka Deadfish he can give your more info as he is on the course at BU or ask Dan Grover what they do a HU. But I know for fact having the tech side, as well as art/animation side does gives u a slight upper hand...correct me if im wrong but im sure it may make a person more employable.

But as I said ask Dan aka DeadFish or Dan Grover for their opinions.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxo)
    Hey, ive got a conditional for bu comp animation n visulaisation. Im only doing maths AS level too, do u think im gonna struggle?
    also, this thing about having more people, do u think we'll get less attention from tutors?
    and are u enjoying the course so far?
    sorry about all the questions, pretty curious:redface:
    Hey luxo, well i did maths AS level, and in the core subjects it will be enough. we have gone through some stuff i hadnt seen before like vectors and matrixes, but they arent impossible to ge tto grips with if you have been through maths AS.
    I would say we find our tutor doesnt explain it properly / very well. perhaps you will get someone else next year. I want to invest in a book called Maths for computer graphics, which i think will help.

Less attention...no i dont think so, i think it will be split into 2 classes, so tutor time should be the same. Im not sure if its the smartest idea to change the course, hope it keep the high quality. Means more of you guys for us to get to know though :P

yes im enjoying the course loads its really good, especially if ur interested in the tech side aswell as it goes into programming, computing and hardware. There is perhaps more tech stuff than alot of people wer expecting, and who hadnt done much before and they find it a bit tough. And ofcourse you get a group project wher eyou learn maya and how to animate. But in the first year its mainly filled with learning tech stuff and basics of the programs.

went to some studios today, cant wait to finish the course with such varied skills and work in one of those places.

ReputationRep:
    behappy8:

Well done indeed to your daughter! As for which she should do, obviously it's something only she can decide, but it's worth considering this; What she chooses now will ultimately change her life. Obviously there are lots of places you can go with either degree, many of which overlap, and if you wanted to, I'm sure you could come out of Herts with the skills to be a technical director and come out of BU with the reel to become an animator. That said, they both have their strengths and these shouldn't be ignored - as such, what she should choose is about more than simply what she'd be best at, and also ultimately on what she wants to do, because at the end of the day (in my opinion, at least) if she'd rather end up doing one job (be it arty or techy) over the other, then she should choose that degree irrespective of what she'll find harder. In the illustrious words of on of my Herts lecturers (who may well have interviewed your daughter), "There's a reason why 3D pays better than washing dishes - it's hard."

On a slightly more buzzy not, today's been good for me. I've managed to get a job interview at a games company for an artist position, and I spent tonight lazing in and around a pub on Carnaby street with a bunch of Herts alumni who're well established in the industry, schmoozing. In fact, I daresay that half of the films you watched from past students were made by people there tonight. There's a great atmosphere around everyone, I love it. Wee! (The drinking goes some way to explain any weird spelling mistakes or dodgy sentences in this post. If you find any, I apologise.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.