Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

I really need some help (and I think I´m not the only one).
    I apllied for 3D animation at:

University of Galmorgan/Cardiff (ATRIUM)
    Swansea Metropolitan University
    Glyndwr University
    University of Greenwich
    Bournemouth University

All Universities accepted me (maybe because I´m from Germany and they need some more international students?)

And now I have to decide...

My favorites are Cardiff and Swansea.
    I visited both, and got a tour around Cardiff-Campus, it was really great!
    But In Swansea the Campus was closed, so I could´n see anything..

Is there someone who can tell me which University is better?
    At Cardiff they will learn 3dsMax, what is it in Swansea?
    The girl who shown me around at cardiff told me it is the best University for Animation (she has to say that), and Swansea is really bad. Is this right?

Thanks for all answeres, I really have to decide soon!

ReputationRep:
    Well yes thanks woemogget, but just because BU is number 1 on "league table" it does not have to be the most interesting and praxis orientated Uni.

An I was looking at all this stuff by myself, Cardiff has got a nice website, but SMU´s is really bad. And I don´t care what the Universities tell me, they can say whatever they want. I want to know it by the students!

And I am from Germany, nobody care about the name of the Universities. They just want to see what I learned/can. Portfolio is more important than names.

But thanks for the answer..

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the era when people cared about university name here is basically over, too - it used to be the case that, in the UK, "We need to get an animation graduate" was the same thing as "We need to get a Bournemouth graduate" (note, this is an anecdote stolen from the big thread on cgtalk about this subject), but it's really changed now. Don't get me wrong, BU is still a great university, but the general quality is improving so much accross the board that it's not as simple as ignoring everyone not from BU anymore. Indeed, Hert's prestige is rising too (check out the latest [and first!] issue of 3D Artist!), so it's slightly disheartening to see they're not on your list, but hey-ho! That said, I wouldn't expect the fact that I'm at Herts would ever help me get a job over someone with a better portfolio from a less well known uni.

Incidentally, universities won't really care if you're German - Germany's in the EU, so you pay the same fees that we do. It's the non-EU international students (who pay about 3 times more!) that they look out for!

ReputationRep:
    Well alright then, my portfolio was good enough all Universities accepted me. But I still don´t know where to go.

Is there nobody who feels like a student who can say more than a career advisor or a 3D newspaper about the life as a 3D-animation-student at ATRIUM/Glamorgan University or Swansea Met?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i dont go to either of those universities so i can't really help you there. The general life of a 3D animator is long and stressful. Most probably, the software will occasional screw up at random moments to frustrate you from time to time as well lol. Which ever uni you go to, you will have a huge work load with about 3-5 deadlines set each term as well as exams (thats what i get at bournemouth).

apart from all those negatives, living and studying in bournemouth is great and i do enjoy animation a lot. Just read through this thread to get an idea of what other universities that do animation is like.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed - get used to a facebook front page full of status updates saying "NO I DON'T WANT TO SEND AN ERROR REPORT ARGHHH!"

ReputationRep:
    deadfish, what exams do you do at bournemouth? and how many? And then do you get exams that are just dedicated to maths questions because you have to learn maths along side the computer animation dont you. so i was wondering if the course is split up so it feels like your back at college where you have to focus on 4 different areas of the course and you get work assignments and exams that just focus on work that you cant exactly talk about animation with it aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Just like being back at college when it comes to exams. The maths we learn is obviously related to 3D graphics such as vectors and matrices etc.. the programming paper is all about programming, and the computer systems paper is similar to ICT back in college.
    My exams were as follows..

first year - 3 exams : programming, maths, and computer systems.
    second year - 3 exams : programming, maths, and operating systems.
    third year - 2 exams: programming, animation system techniques.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadfish41)
    Just like being back at college when it comes to exams. The maths we learn is obviously related to 3D graphics such as vectors and matrices etc.. the programming paper is all about programming, and the computer systems paper is similar to ICT back in college.
    My exams were as follows..

first year - 3 exams : programming, maths, and computer systems.
    second year - 3 exams : programming, maths, and operating systems.
    third year - 2 exams: programming, animation system techniques.
    Oh thanks for that its very helpful information.
    how long are theses exams? are they only half an hour tests or are they tests you get yourself worked up for throughout the whole year? so its like being back with the gcses again? or do you study the tests as assements to pass gradually through the year along with the other assignments?

also what is the exams situation like for hertfordshire?!

thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Each exam is 3hours long and includes the topics we learn throughout the year, similar to Alevels. The exams are actually quite a large percentage of our overall grades i believe. Maths, and the computer systems modules are fully assessed with exams. The programming unit however is something like 40% coursework, 60% exam i think.

ReputationRep:
    No exams at all at Herts, all coursework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woemogget)
    Hey, deadfish, with accomodation, is it you have to ring up on results day once you confirm your choice and get it that way?!
    Hey, i was a bit of a loser, and stayed up till like 7am refreshing ucas track page until it changed to an unconditional.. then i filled out the online application form on the BU site straight away.

Edit: forgot to say, yeah you have to wait until your offer changes to unconditional on the track page before you can apply for accommodation. As soon as it does you can apply either online, or by phone.

ReputationRep:
    EUUGH i really thing im not gonna do well in my maths exam and not meet the conditions BU gave me. WHAT SHALL I DO!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxo)
    EUUGH i really thing im not gonna do well in my maths exam and not meet the conditions BU gave me. WHAT SHALL I DO!!!!
    Any particular area(s) / topic(s) in maths you struggling with?

ReputationRep:
    Heya, is anyone here going to be doing computer viz and animation at bournemouth in September??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eme29)
    Heya, is anyone here going to be doing computer viz and animation at bournemouth in September??
    yup quite a few people are...but yeah I'm starting this September. You looking forward to it?

ReputationRep:
    yeah can't wait, as long as i make my offer...
    need ABC, what's your offer??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eme29)
    yeah can't wait, as long as i make my offer...
    need ABC, what's your offer??
    Well lets hope for the best .

Yeah I cant wait to start...Literally counting down the months.
    My offer is DMM for my BTEC course...In A Level terms thats an ABB.

What subjects you gotta get ABC for?

You from london?

ReputationRep:
    A - dt
    B - biology
    C - geography

what are you taking a BTEC in?
    Yeah im in shepherds bush so right in london, wherebouts r u?

ReputationRep:
    A - dt
    B - biology
    C - geography

what are you taking a BTEC in?
    Yeah im in shepherds bush so right in london, wherebouts r u?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2018

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.