Turn on thread page Beta

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    haven't got this letter yet... what did it ask for? was it a definite choice or was it more like a survery so they have an idea of numbers?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if choosing between artistic animation director and a technical director courses is a permanent choice?? Because I thought they said on the interview day that we decided at the end of the 1st year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eme29)
    Does anyone know if choosing between artistic animation director and a technical director courses is a permanent choice?? Because I thought they said on the interview day that we decided at the end of the 1st year!
    I called them up and they said its not set in stone there will be flexibility but it depends on numbers, she also said, for example if you chose the art one then u decided that technical director is what u wanna do after the first year you would have to prove that you will be able to do it. and same the other way round

ReputationRep:
    I LOVED bournemouth Campus, xD and the course, which imma go into next year xD yays!

I checked out, Solent and bristol and they had the CRAPEST campuses i've seen in my whole life! X_X I hated both of those unis/courses they offered.

Solent, the tutor was such a scatterbrain when talking about the course and fondly spoke of the partying and the chilling and what not. He barely mentioned the course it's self and what he did he ranted on for hours about things that weren't that interesting.

And in Bristol the course i found was very traditional, and not very modern, like not relevant enough for the ever changing animation industry. That campus was like in a random place, and it was all breaking down and the paint on the walls are like pealing and there wasn't an ATM machine ANYWHERE on site!

I went to the institute of art here in Bournemouth too, they are quite good, but they tend to mooch off of Bournemouth uni's extracurricular facilities. The course it;s self is pretty good though, more artsy, but a very realistic course, they teach you how to work in a group environment very industry like.

*shrug* but these are just my opinions. so w/e

BUTT i like Bournemouth uni the best xD well duh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxo)
    I called them up and they said its not set in stone there will be flexibility but it depends on numbers, she also said, for example if you chose the art one then u decided that technical director is what u wanna do after the first year you would have to prove that you will be able to do it. and same the other way round
    I chose the technical director one as both my choices. Yeah thats what they said, that it would be a flexible too to me too on the phone

ReputationRep:
    hey guys. well i came across this thread when i was lookin for some good universities for animation.... and well i was first led to the very first page of this thread, and i only sorta read a couple pages about which universities r good.... so...

can u guys plz tell me somethin about universities where i could apply for animation... bachelors that is... i looked around a lil and i've got Bournemouth as the best 1... Kent and Teeside n LCC.

n oh yea, im planning to join next year... n im an international student.

n yea.. i din read beyond where Deadfish, u have finishd wid ur entrance exams at bournemouth... so wat ur a student dere now? n also u Welshboyomon... whch university ur at?......

well... i hope u guys plz help me out here...

thnx ^^

Dhaval

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhaval_5)
    n yea.. i din read beyond where Deadfish, u have finishd wid ur entrance exams at bournemouth... so wat ur a student dere now?
    Yup im here at bournemouth uni , coming to the end of my 2nd year here now. Really enjoying the course and atmosphere in bournemouth. Theres plenty of info about the uni within this thread as well as the other good uni's for animation.

ReputationRep:
    cool... so well, i kno abt the entrance exams... n im sure i can get thru them... but ders 1 another thing... im currently studyin Interactive Media Design at Raffles Design, a singapore based university.... what i was wondering is whether bournemouth accept transfer students? cuz im close to d end of my 1st year over here...

ofcourse the credits accepted will only b of d relevant modules... but even if dat can b done... den i think it wud b grt. can u Deadfish41 plz find out abt this... it wud b of grt help....

ReputationRep:
    Umm, i personally do not know about transfer students. I've never seen any on my course.. I think if you would like to start at bournemouth, then you would start from the first year. You're best option would be to contact the university yourself by email (look on their website) or by phone.

ReputationRep:
    cool... so well, i kno abt the entrance exams... n im sure i can get thru them... but ders 1 another thing... im currently studyin Interactive Media Design at Raffles Design, a singapore based university.... what i was wondering is whether bournemouth accept transfer students? cuz im close to d end of my 1st year over here...

ofcourse the credits accepted will only b of d relevant modules... but even if dat can b done... den i think it wud b grt. can u Deadfish41 plz find out abt this... it wud b of grt help....
    i'm transferring internally at BU at the moment. i also requested a transfer after the first year of my current course. i know they would most likely accept a transfer based on your current course, although you might get a conditional offer to achieve a certain pass percentage, and of course, you would have to start at year 1 here. i think you would be too late to get entry into the course this september, but if you contact them now i'm sure you could arrange to have an interview with the 2010 applicants

ReputationRep:
    I know at Hertfordshire you can swap in - some from other universities (we quite often get people from Asia coming into the third year to do their final year here) and this year we even had a guy swap from BU to come here. Occasionally we get one or two in the 2nd year, too - one guy I know hadn't even done any part of a degree beforehand, but he had a few years industry experience so they put him straight into 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    I know at Hertfordshire you can swap in - some from other universities (we quite often get people from Asia coming into the third year to do their final year here) and this year we even had a guy swap from BU to come here. Occasionally we get one or two in the 2nd year, too - one guy I know hadn't even done any part of a degree beforehand, but he had a few years industry experience so they put him straight into 2nd year.
    Out of interest, whats the BU guy's name? Did he join in the 2nd year?

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question. Whats the starting salary annually for a BU/Herts graduate or lets say animation graduate?

ReputationRep:
    thank u guys... i think based on my current course they cud put me directly in2 d 2nd year... lets c.. i dun mind if they ask me some conditions 2 b met wen i join... my grades here in my current university are on an average 79%... wel v refer it dat way here... than A or B or nethin...

so well, dats good 2 kno abt Herts.. i'll surely write dem too...

i've already writen 2 BU and Teeside abt it... n i got a reply 4m Teeside dat dey do accept transfers but they need 2 make sure whether im capable 4 dat course where my interest lie.... so i think dat way i can surely get in...

n also thanx Puch-T... im plannin 2 join next year.. not sooner...

n Deadfish41... can i call u Dan?... so yea.. can u teme wat modules (subjects) u had in ur first year.... if u can remember... so i can make out wat modules i need 2 b cleared if i wana strt 4m d 2nd year... or somethin like dat...

newys guys.. thnx alot... ^^

n animator 21... u salary depends on how good u are.... plain n simple.

ReputationRep:
    thank u guys... i think based on my current course they cud put me directly in2 d 2nd year... lets c.. i dun mind if they ask me some conditions 2 b met wen i join... my grades here in my current university are on an average 79%... wel v refer it dat way here... than A or B or nethin...

so well, dats good 2 kno abt Herts.. i'll surely write dem too...

i've already writen 2 BU and Teeside abt it... n i got a reply 4m Teeside dat dey do accept transfers but they need 2 make sure whether im capable 4 dat course where my interest lie.... so i think dat way i can surely get in...

n also thanx Puch-T... im plannin 2 join next year.. not sooner...

n Deadfish41... can i call u Dan?... so yea.. can u teme wat modules (subjects) u had in ur first year.... if u can remember... so i can make out wat modules i need 2 b cleared if i wana strt 4m d 2nd year... or somethin like dat...

newys guys.. thnx alot... ^^

n animator 21... u salary depends on how good u are.... plain n simple.
    I appreciate that English is probably not your first language, but please try and write properly; It genuinely makes it difficult to read what you're saying. Between that and the fact you've already acknowledged that you can't be bothered to read the whole thread, effectively asking us to repeat ourselves just on your behalf, and you're not exactly making it easy for us to help you.

ReputationRep:

All the modules are actually written up on the bournemouth website under "courses > Computer visualisation and animation"

First year Modules :

computer programming (20creds)
    > Exam
    > Programming project
    principles of computer systems (20creds)
    >Exam
    maths for computer graphics (20creds)
    >Exam
    animation design (30creds)
    > 2 Visual Studies Units
    > Cinematography
    > Still and Moving Image Theory
    computer animation (30creds)
    >Modelling
    >Animation
    >ShowReel

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate that English is probably not your first language, but please try and write properly; It genuinely makes it difficult to read what you're saying. Between that and the fact you've already acknowledged that you can't be bothered to read the whole thread, effectively asking us to repeat ourselves just on your behalf, and you're not exactly making it easy for us to help you.
    I'm sorry DanGrover, if my English was; in a way annoying. I was just simply writing "sms lingo" 'cause I am just used to it. I don't believe I have any flaws in my English. Maybe my vocabulary isn't that great, that's it.

Anyways, I'm sorry again. Also for bothering you guys by asking to repeat yourselves. However, I hope I can ask my doubts and expect some sort of help from you guys.

Thanks Deadfish41, I did not find that section which listed the modules when I visited the site.

I really appreciate your help so far. Thanks everybody.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry DanGrover, if my English was; in a way annoying. I was just simply writing "sms lingo" 'cause I am just used to it. I don't believe I have any flaws in my English. Maybe my vocabulary isn't that great, that's it.

Anyways, I'm sorry again. Also for bothering you guys by asking to repeat yourselves. However, I hope I can ask my doubts and expect some sort of help from you guys.

Thanks Deadfish41, I did not find that section which listed the modules when I visited the site.

I really appreciate your help so far. Thanks everybody.
    No worries man, we're all just here to help!

Anywayssss, if anyone's interested, I just finished my final year animated film project with my colleague Matt Beech (his website's in the link). Please have a watch and leave any comments you want to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRuvf_0Y3Fk&fmt=22

(Note, that's the HD version on youtube - you might need to fullscreen it to see it in all its 720p glory!).

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here been to/going to Edge Hill this Sepetember?

ReputationRep:
    No worries man, we're all just here to help!
    thanks once again everybody. tc. ^^

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2018

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.