Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeh i was in a unilet last year, but you have to find sumwhere else as theyre reserved for first years. this year i found a house with a few people on brassey rd. not too far from where your staying id say, altho charminster rd is a bit of a trek to uni

PCS is Prinicples of Computer Systems. first 2 terms, you do stuff like HTML, networking, Linux, shell scripting (command line stufF), which is the easier stuff, then you do a load of circuitry, how memory is made, processors...load of stuff i cant remember and couldnt do. didnt choose those in the exam. really gotta be on the ball in those lectures.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing a further maths AS next year: D1, FP1 and one other module. Which other module do people think would be useful for computer animation at bournemouth (or similar courses, though i suppose that there arent really any others that are as mathsy)? This year I've done C1, C2 and S1. Next year i'll also be doing C3, C4 and M1. Any advice would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamhands)
    Hey, I'm doing a further maths AS next year: D1, FP1 and one other module. Which other module do people think would be useful for computer animation at bournemouth (or similar courses, though i suppose that there arent really any others that are as mathsy)? This year I've done C1, C2 and S1. Next year i'll also be doing C3, C4 and M1. Any advice would be great
    Hi, i was also going to do further maths A2 in my 2nd year of Alevels, but in the end i couldnt be bothered because for the course you really dont need it. It doesnt exactly help that much and will only make life harder for you as the uni will give you an offer which will make you get at least a B in further maths or something similar (one of my friends from school had to,and he got the B and is on the course with me now)

I did the same modules as you, but in one year, so i didnt do maths for a whole year before coming to bournemouth, and i still found the maths easy. I know in fp1 you do imaginary numbers, and that comes up in the first year, but everything else should be fine. Especially if you're considering further maths, then the maths on the course should be a breeze.

Hope that helps a little.. i dont really know what maths is involved in further maths in comparison to what we do in uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadfish41)
    Hi, i was also going to do further maths A2 in my 2nd year of Alevels, but in the end i couldnt be bothered because for the course you really dont need it. It doesnt exactly help that much and will only make life harder for you as the uni will give you an offer which will make you get at least a B in further maths or something similar (one of my friends from school had to,and he got the B and is on the course with me now)

I did the same modules as you, but in one year, so i didnt do maths for a whole year before coming to bournemouth, and i still found the maths easy. I know in fp1 you do imaginary numbers, and that comes up in the first year, but everything else should be fine. Especially if you're considering further maths, then the maths on the course should be a breeze.

Hope that helps a little.. i dont really know what maths is involved in further maths in comparison to what we do in uni.

Okay. Thanks very much. The maths lady at my school said that i should consider doing D2 as well as D1 seeing as its all to do with algorithms and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Deadfish41, what college did you go to? and do you think that any college would have the right kind of options needed, like to go to bournemouth and be a computer animator and stuff.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone liking bournemouth and any other university they are at? Is it what u expected?

By the way, i LOVE this thread

ReputationRep:
    i can see all of you guys have been undergoing tests and lots of stuff and my question i havent got any idea of any personal interview or portfolio representation from Universitty's Prospectus and I would like to know about the entry requirements for an International Student apart from IELTS exam . Are there any ? Do I need to send my portfolio ?
    I am an Instrumentation Engineer from India . I want to pursue my education in Animation so I found Bournemouth University very interesting but I need the information regarding the requirements .
    Thanx in advance .....

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

this thread helped me very much I read all 39 pages (lol) and I finally made my decision. It's either Bournemouth or Hertfordshire (for me at least). I have some questions though.

1. I am a student in Newcastle University and I study Naval Architecture (I'm in my first year). I have also one Foundation degree in Marine Science and Technology and the marks are quite impressive (scored the highest mark in Mathematics in the class and I also have two 60s in IT & Communication and in Computer Applications). I also have an IELTS of 6 (I'm a EU student but I've been living in the UK for three years) and I also have a reference from the Undergraduate Selector (who's also my tutor) and he mentions how much I want to study Animation and that's why I want to quit Naval Architecture. But I have almost NO drawing experience. Do you think that they will accept me even though I have no drawing experience? I have a really good background though.

2. I know that I'm late and that the only way to apply now is on the phone on Thursday the 20th (that's what they said). After the deadline BU had some places available but apparently on Thursday the conditional applicants will receive their A-Level results so in case they all passed I might not be able to join for 2009. They told me that I should call them at 0830 in the morning and there might be many many people waiting on the line. Is that true?

3. On Thursday I will talk with someone from the Admission office, I'm assuming it will be something like a phone-interview. They will ask me for my qualifications etc. I'm kind of worried what can they possibly ask me other than my qualifications?

4. I saw that some of you mentioned Programming, you mean programming as in learning Java and other programming languages or learning how to use programs such as 3D-Max?

I will be in Bournemouth on Thursday (yes this is how much I want to study Animation, I will travel 6 hours by train - maybe for no reason) and I will try to talk with someone in person instead over the phone. Of course I will call them too but still I'm really worried that they might not accept me just because I have no drawing experience.

My tutor said that if I tell them that I come from Newcastle University and especially from Naval Architecture they will accept me. But still I don't think I am that good to join an Animation University such as Herts or BU. I do have a foundation degree and I'm really good in Mathematics and Computers but my Foundation was about Marine not about Arts.

I partially want you to tell me "Cheer up, stop worrying about it. They will accept you even if you don't know how to draw." but I know that this could be a lie so just tell me the truth.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I also want to thank you all (especially those answering questions) you guys have been really helpful. Without you I would probably apply to UCA.

ReputationRep:
    ok, well first of all they like to know you can draw - it is a very important part of animation, however i know people who cant draw on the course - since your not really having an interview, they probably wont ask to see any?

They are very fond of asking people to do an art foundation before appying, and doing some life drawing classes would definitely help (hertfordshire are hotter on this than bournemouth)

Its quite a jump from marine stuff to animation, they may be interested as to why you chose to do animation.

The programming at bournemouth is C / C++, and Python (within maya). i think your experience would help you alot here, they like maths aswell. Hertfordshire dont do any programming as far as i know, just work within maya or whatever.

I cant predict what they will say but good luck, guess youl have to hope people fail to get their grades...lol. No harm in applying again next year

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently about to complete my undergraduate degree in Multimedia Computing, and have after studying animation and programming for computer graphics I know this is where I want to be heading. I've decided since some of my skills are limited, I think it might be a good idea to have a bit of a structured course (and some industry ties) and take up a Masters degree (and kill two birds with one stone).

I know the term 'best' animation course is a bit debatable, but I'm ambitious and I want to study at the 'Oxford and Cambridge' equivalent of Computer Animation, and really get a good start (although I know it's what you put in, that you get out, and I'm prepared to work for it). But if anyone would provide me with some insight that lives in the UK it would be most appreciated.

P.S. My focus would be on technical direction (ie more MSc - programming based) however, if someone could also provide the artist (ie MA - character animation etc) point of view. That would be most appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have a great chance of getting offered a place, Youve already been to uni, shows that you do work! Your more mature than the majority of people applying. Your very good at the maths and so thats another plus. But with the drawing you will need something! If you are considering going down to see them one to one, then i would advice some drawings you have done... life drawing aspecially! If you havent done any drawing at all, then they may ask you to come next year, so youve done a year in drawing. as its quite important! I would say you do some drawing in your spare time or something, if its just a conversation over the phone. So that they wont have any doubts about taking you on. this is all speaking for bournemouth point of view. when i went to my hertfordshire interview, the guy was really interested in my a level film work, that was a storyboard. he was really interested in the whole concept of cinematography.

So with that said, do you have much knowledge about film? because thats going to be another important factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexPoolton)
    I'm currently about to complete my undergraduate degree in Multimedia Computing, and have after studying animation and programming for computer graphics I know this is where I want to be heading. I've decided since some of my skills are limited, I think it might be a good idea to have a bit of a structured course (and some industry ties) and take up a Masters degree (and kill two birds with one stone).

I know the term 'best' animation course is a bit debatable, but I'm ambitious and I want to study at the 'Oxford and Cambridge' equivalent of Computer Animation, and really get a good start (although I know it's what you put in, that you get out, and I'm prepared to work for it). But if anyone would provide me with some insight that lives in the UK it would be most appreciated.

P.S. My focus would be on technical direction (ie more MSc - programming based) however, if someone could also provide the artist (ie MA - character animation etc) point of view. That would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Check out the bournemouth post grad courses. They do the technical sciencey course, a digital effects course, as well as an animation artsy course (i think)

http://onlineservices.bournemouth.ac...mation&level=2

ReputationRep:
    I got in, I'm going to do animation at Bournemouth

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from University of Hertfordshire for 3D Digital Animation starting 28 Sept 2009 I'm so happy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marink)
    I got in, I'm going to do animation at Bournemouth

oh well done! I'll be seeing you there! Got facebook!? x

ReputationRep:
    bin accepted at bournemouth aswell for animation , GET INNN, cant wait, just the maths aspect putting a bit of a downer on it all but supose it wont be too dominating lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, Yes, my daughter got in too at Bournemouth. Got her results back in June. So she'll be seeing you guys there. She's also got a place in Purbeck House. Now busy getting bits and pieces for uni days!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Yanni, I'm one of the lecturers at Hertfordshire, I'll try to answer your questions if I can

(Original post by Yanni)
    Hello everyone,

this thread helped me very much I read all 39 pages (lol) and I finally made my decision. It's either Bournemouth or Hertfordshire (for me at least). I have some questions though.

1. I am a student in Newcastle University and I study Naval Architecture (I'm in my first year). I have also one Foundation degree in Marine Science and Technology and the marks are quite impressive (scored the highest mark in Mathematics in the class and I also have two 60s in IT & Communication and in Computer Applications). I also have an IELTS of 6 (I'm a EU student but I've been living in the UK for three years) and I also have a reference from the Undergraduate Selector (who's also my tutor) and he mentions how much I want to study Animation and that's why I want to quit Naval Architecture. But I have almost NO drawing experience. Do you think that they will accept me even though I have no drawing experience? I have a really good background though.
    For us at Herts drawing ability is the first thing we look for. If you can't draw, your chances of becoming a great animator (or at least an employable one) are pretty slim. So if you don't have a portfolio with good drawing in it, you'll have to have some really impressive 3D for us to consider you. We do this because the industry (post prod and games) constantly nag us to make sure animation students can draw - they won't employ you if you can't ( exceptions being programming areas, rigging, particle effects etc) We've had games companies tell us that the first thing they want to see in an applicants portfolio is their life drawing - if that's good enough then they'll look at the 3D.

Sorry to upset your fantastic previous academic record, but it doesn't count for anything with us except to state that you're obviously hard working - that's a plus, but we want to see great artistic skills, a friendly, interested, motivated student at interview - we don't mind if the student doesn't hit all the academic levels the university wants; we know that creative students often don't fit into the pigeonholes that school and FE education squeeze people into which is why we interview everyone that applies, we prefer to let a candidate's art sell them to us, and then hopefully their personality as well. It does mean we do over 400 interviews a year Each one of those is a one to one with a lecturer, we don't do any of the tricks some unis do with making you stick your portfolio in a room and then make you go away while someone looks through it without you being their to explain it.

(Original post by Yanni)
    2. I know that I'm late and that the only way to apply now is on the phone on Thursday the 20th (that's what they said). After the deadline BU had some places available but apparently on Thursday the conditional applicants will receive their A-Level results so in case they all passed I might not be able to join for 2009. They told me that I should call them at 0830 in the morning and there might be many many people waiting on the line. Is that true?

I don't know about BU, but we were full before clearing, we rarely have any places at clearing, sorry. If you didn't get in, take a year out, maybe attend a Foundation art course and get a great portfolio of drawings together and then apply for 2010.

(Original post by Yanni)
    3. On Thursday I will talk with someone from the Admission office, I'm assuming it will be something like a phone-interview. They will ask me for my qualifications etc. I'm kind of worried what can they possibly ask me other than my qualifications?
    Is this BU only or Herts? We would ask you to email a portfolio to us for consideration, but as I said before it's rare for us to have any clearing places; it usually only happens if a student decides not to study a degree and defers their place for a year.

(Original post by Yanni)
    4. I saw that some of you mentioned Programming, you mean programming as in learning Java and other programming languages or learning how to use programs such as 3D-Max?
    That's a BU question I think, Herts is much more arts based, you don't need any programming skills to come here. We concentrate on making artists.

(Original post by Yanni)
    I will be in Bournemouth on Thursday (yes this is how much I want to study Animation, I will travel 6 hours by train - maybe for no reason) and I will try to talk with someone in person instead over the phone. Of course I will call them too but still I'm really worried that they might not accept me just because I have no drawing experience.
    I admire your passion, if you didn't get in I would strongly advise learning to draw for a year and then apply to BU or Herts - that level of dedication is admirable and a sign of good potential. I hope it went well for you!

(Original post by Yanni)
    My tutor said that if I tell them that I come from Newcastle University and especially from Naval Architecture they will accept me. But still I don't think I am that good to join an Animation University such as Herts or BU. I do have a foundation degree and I'm really good in Mathematics and Computers but my Foundation was about Marine not about Arts.
    I can't offer any opinions about BU, Newcastle doesn't mean anything special to me though... good maths skills are useful to us, but more useful at BU.

(Original post by Yanni)
    I partially want you to tell me "Cheer up, stop worrying about it. They will accept you even if you don't know how to draw." but I know that this could be a lie so just tell me the truth.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I also want to thank you all (especially those answering questions) you guys have been really helpful. Without you I would probably apply to UCA.
    I don't think I can offer a cheer up message, I don't believe in lying to people, I prefer to offer helpful advice - if you got into BU, congratulations, have fun. If not I strongly advise learning to draw and use 3D programs to ensure that you enjoy animation - you say that you really badly want to do it but you don't say whether you've ever done any or used any of the software? You certainly sound like you've got the determination to get where you want, in which case one more year will not make any difference to the rest of your life and potential future career. Get drawing

ReputationRep:
    Hi Moid, you've never taught me but I think you must be one of the best teachers ever. You are incredibly helpful, at least i thought you were when you interviewed me (I secretly let other people go first to try and get interviewed by you :P) And now you're helping people here too you're like the embodiment of help. I'm still have that checklist you gave me, really useful and I'm doing an art foundation this year, so...ummmm thanks moid!!!

@ Yanni - look up andrew loomis, george bridgeman and richard williams, also full of helpfullyness.

ReputationRep:
    Well thanks very much, very kind of you to say so Are you re applying to us after finishing your Foundation course, or do you have a deferred place? Either way enjoy foundation, do as much life drawing as you can. If you want other resources to read / study I would recommend Hans Bacher's book Dream Worlds (I can't remember if it's on the hand out we give), also if you don't mind spending some money on expensive DVDs, I would particularly recommend http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/129/ The Techniques of Feng Zhu 3
    Fundamentals of Shot Design for Environments (Gnomon) if you want to improve your environment design work. He goes over a lot of the techniques in Loomis, but many students find it easier to understand the perspective skills from watching a film - Loomis' diagrams aren't for the faint hearted, but they are good if you can get your head around them.

Were you applying for one of the 3D courses? If so don't worry about having fantastic 3D skills, just ensure your 2D work is strong, we'll sort the rest out

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.