Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fool of a took)
    I was wondering if anyone else who had applied to herts of bournemouth for Computer Animation Arts (not visulization) had had an offer from them yet? Im worried because its been a month and a half now and no interview from either herts of bournemouth!
    I just thought I'd let you know that even though you're applying for the arts, they interview together I think, as the course has a same first year

It took my ages to get my interview last year, so I wouldn't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, as a response to the overall question of this thread I have applied to Bournemouth, Hertfordshire, Teeside, Wales-Newport and Portsmouth.
    Bournemouth because everyone knows it is the best in the UK, hertfordshire because of very positive feedback I had heard from some of the students that went there (I dont know why it is not skillset accredited)
    Well we are, but not as a solo course like the others - we have Media Academy Status which meant that Skillset felt the entire Film/Animation area deserved an award. However we are also filling out the wretched paperwork for the damn thing at present. However if I were you I would not choose a course because it has Skillset accreditation, I would choose it because the work of the students there impresses you.

Wales newport was on the top 20 in the world list that 3d world magazine did,
    Have you looked into how they arrived at that list? It's not based on how many students get jobs or how good the lecturers are or what the facilities are, it's based on whether the college ever got any films shortlisted at six particular animation festivals worldwide. The really daft thing is that 3DWorld didn't do their homework because half those festivals are 2D animation festivals, so they are ranking many of the 3D courses on the good work that a 2D course at the same college has done! That's great news if you want to be a 2D animator, not so useful if you like 3D.

however they are way too drawing and art based for my liking as I have much prefer making 3d modelling and animation on the computer
    Well I hate to disappoint you but if you want to get a job in animation you will need to be able to draw - we push drawing skills enormously at Herts because we know that if you don't have life drawing in your portfolio at the end of the course most companies won't touch you. There are some exceptions - if you wish to be a particle TD, or some form of motion graphics artist, or tracking/roto work or a programmer then that's fine, but if you're interested in modelling / animation then you need drawing skills.

I was wondering if anyone else who had applied to herts of bournemouth for Computer Animation Arts (not visulization) had had an offer from them yet? Im worried because its been a month and a half now and no interview from either herts of bournemouth!
    We only do our first interviews this Friday, we start later than most because (like Bournemouth) we don't have to recruit all year round. Give it month and if you haven't heard anything PM me your email and real name and I'll go and prod the admissions staff if you like.

Teeside and wales-newport have already offered me interviews, but I dont think I will go to newports as Ive realised how arty it is.
    Why not go? (if it's not too far) because you can have a look round, see the work of the students and get an idea of how good or not a college is - I would advise visiting at least four different places because that way you can make a decision based on experience, not just other people's opinions - by joining a degree you are potentially changing or fixing the direction of the rest of your life, while at the same time acquiring a gigantic debt that will take you at least ten years to pay off. If I was you I would make sure I had seen as many places as possible to ensure I went to the right course.

SORRY for long post! one more thing. Moid are you a lecturer at hertforshide or something, sorry just gathered that from the way you are talking?
    Don't apologise, this is the rest of your life, make sure you find out as much as possible before you make your decision. Ask as many questions as you can.

Yes I'm a lecturer at Hertfordshire, I've also taught at 5 other animation courses in the UK. So treat everything I say about Herts as having a slight bias to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NLight)
    Same, I applied at the end of November and I still haven't had a reply. I'm not worried as Herts interview everyone who applies, so I guess this year their just a bit behind. Not to worry though, it gives me more time to get a portfolio ready
    We only start interviews this week, so unless you applied in the first week of October you'll have some more time to wait Do spend it improving your portfolio, it needs to be good. If you want advice or opinions on it post a link.

Moid, I'm also looking into building a new PC for my first year. I've built a few before, but they've all been built for gamers, so I know what makes a good gaming PC, but I'm not too sure what makes a good 3D PC.

I've been reading about the push for realtime viewport rendering and obviously that's going to require a decent graphics card, but the only other uses I can think of for a graphics card in 3D is sculpting, texture painting and perhaps some sims. So would you say I should prioritise the processor or the graphics card? Also would you say for 3D work, bear in mind I may use the PC for some occasional gaming, I should get a consumer gaming card, like a GTX 280, or a workstation card like the QuadroFX and Firepro?

Finallly, solid state drives? Do you think their worth the money?

Thanks
    Well I wouldn't call myself an expert here on hardware (I pick up a lot of it from the other lecturers who are more that way inclined, I'm an artist, albeit a fairly technical one). However a PC that is good for games will probably be good for 3D, although be careful about PCs that are overclocked to hell, 3D rendering tends to melt them unless they've got very good cooling. In terms of realtime rendering I generally go with NVidia simply because of bad experiences with ATI cards and more importantly for the future with new versions of Mental Ray shaders being able to use the CUDA instructions to render some of the 3D scene on the GPU while the CPU takes care of the rest - this should lead to a massive speed increase in rendering. However, at present, the most important thing in 3D is the processor and this will continue for a few more years. Lots of RAM as well. If you can afford triple channel DDR3 go with it. 4GB absolute minimum. You'll want more later

If you want to play games or model in 3D I would go with a consumer card - the high end cards are nice (I've used a few in different companies I've worked at) but for the small increase in viewport speed they are not worth the cost. Also, they are crap for games! Many years ago if you wanted to do professional 3D you had to have a high end card - I remember one of my previous bosses paying a £1000 for a 32MB card (a looooong time ago) for me to use, and that was at a time when the fastest consumer card had 4MB or RAM... it was amazingly fast compared to what I'd used before, but the differences now are not worth the cost - modern graphics cards are so fast it's amazing.

I haven't yet owned a solid state drive - I like the idea, and I've had more than my fair share of hard drive failures, but for me they are too expensive and not large enough - it's cheaper to buy two larger drives and use one as a duplicate / backup of the other. Of course if someone offered me one I wouldn't say no!

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry i'm new to this student room thing i just searched the site for animation and this post came up with the most responses.
    I just wanted to ask people that are applying for 3d animation at university a quick question.

Has anyone that applied to Hertfordshire for 3d animation got and interview or even a response of any kind? I've recieved offers and interviews from all my other choices but only an email from Hertfordshire saying they will get to me after New Years. The only reason i ask is because my brother (who is also applying to uni and Herts) got an interview there weeks ago and there are people in my sixthform that also have offers from there.

I know i'm probably just a bit paranoid, but its one of my top choices

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the opinion - don't panic we don't start interviewing until this Friday so unless you applied on the first week of October you will have to wait a while. If you don't hear anything after a month PM me with your real name and email and I'll go and prod the admissions staff and wake them up

Look at it this way, it gives you longer to work on your portfolio... and you need to spend as much time as you can on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moid)
    We only start interviews this week, so unless you applied in the first week of October you'll have some more time to wait Do spend it improving your portfolio, it needs to be good. If you want advice or opinions on it post a link.
    That's a relief! I could really use the extra time, my exams seem to be taking up the bulk of my time at the moment. Some of the work I've done I've uploaded to my DeviantArt account, which you can have a look at here: http://affinityfx.deviantart.com/gallery/ I really would appreciate some critique on the environments if you have the time

(Original post by moid)
    Well I wouldn't call myself an expert here on hardware (I pick up a lot of it from the other lecturers who are more that way inclined, I'm an artist, albeit a fairly technical one). However a PC that is good for games will probably be good for 3D, although be careful about PCs that are overclocked to hell, 3D rendering tends to melt them unless they've got very good cooling. In terms of realtime rendering I generally go with NVidia simply because of bad experiences with ATI cards and more importantly for the future with new versions of Mental Ray shaders being able to use the CUDA instructions to render some of the 3D scene on the GPU while the CPU takes care of the rest - this should lead to a massive speed increase in rendering. However, at present, the most important thing in 3D is the processor and this will continue for a few more years. Lots of RAM as well. If you can afford triple channel DDR3 go with it. 4GB absolute minimum. You'll want more later

If you want to play games or model in 3D I would go with a consumer card - the high end cards are nice (I've used a few in different companies I've worked at) but for the small increase in viewport speed they are not worth the cost. Also, they are crap for games! Many years ago if you wanted to do professional 3D you had to have a high end card - I remember one of my previous bosses paying a £1000 for a 32MB card (a looooong time ago) for me to use, and that was at a time when the fastest consumer card had 4MB or RAM... it was amazingly fast compared to what I'd used before, but the differences now are not worth the cost - modern graphics cards are so fast it's amazing.

I haven't yet owned a solid state drive - I like the idea, and I've had more than my fair share of hard drive failures, but for me they are too expensive and not large enough - it's cheaper to buy two larger drives and use one as a duplicate / backup of the other. Of course if someone offered me one I wouldn't say no!
    Good I'm glad your not advising a high end card, that really would have killed my budget I read about the new Mental Ray shaders not long ago, to be honest I was surprised that renderers haven't been taking advantage of the GPU already, it seems like a waste of power otherwise, I guess they were just waiting for the hardware to catch up. You mention an increase in render times with Mental Ray, what about Vray, does Herts use that at all? Its just that the new Vray RT seems to be really impressive, it would certainly take a lot the guess work out and in the end save a lot of otherwise wasted time. I was really surprised to read that it doesn't use the GPU at all, just the CPU, even with realtime GI it doesn't use any hardware acceleration! I guess that's another reason to prioritise the processor.

I think I'll be looking towards an Nvidia GTX card, probably something like a 275, perhaps a 280 if I can spare the money. Although in 8 months time when I build this PC, there maybe a new range out, in fact there must probably will be.

Oh and another question, if you don't mind answering, do you think two 24" monitors would be an overkill? I use two 21" Samsungs at the moment, and as much as I like them, they don't display colour very accurately. I understand that's partly because their TN panels, do you think it would be worth spending the extra money to get an IPS based screen?

Well SSDs are fairly new, apparently the speed increase in phenomenal, but I agree, the price is just too high. Perhaps in 8 months time they may come down in price, who knows!

Thanks again Martin, you've answered a lot of my questions in the past, for that I'm very grateful

ReputationRep:
    so when do herts and bournemouth start the next batch of interviews, i havent got replies from them yet but im scared since im in South america for a few more months and hope i get back in time.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much Moid, thats really taken a load off my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactusboi)
    so when do herts and bournemouth start the next batch of interviews, i havent got replies from them yet but im scared since im in South america for a few more months and hope i get back in time.
    I just got my letter from hertfordshire today so maybe you'l l be getting one soon? It says that i should bring a piece of written work which I'm a bit concerned about seeing as i haven't written an essay since year 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamhands)
    I just got my letter from hertfordshire today so maybe you'l l be getting one soon? It says that i should bring a piece of written work which I'm a bit concerned about seeing as i haven't written an essay since year 11
    Yeah I got my letter from Hertfordshire today as well, my interviews on the 29th January. I wouldn't worry to much about the essay, from what I heard they're not that important for the animation interviews. I think the letter explaining about the portfolio was a general one for all the courses, not specifically for the animation courses, so I don't think all the information mentioned is a necessity. Although I may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactusboi)
    Herts starts tomorrow and we interview every Friday until the end of May.

ReputationRep:
    That really depends on who interviews you, some lecturers are more keen on written skills than other (I like to read essays to see if the candidate can actually write and form a debate and construct arguements etc), but we are all interested in seeing your art first. I don't think we've ever turned anyone down for bringing a poor essay along, usually poor essays and poor artwork go hand in hand so we reject on the basis of poor artwork. You will have to have passed Maths and English GCSE as well as your UCAS points though. You do realise that you have to write essays as part of a degree though don't you? They are a quarter of the grades and you can't pass without completing them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got my letter from Hertfordshire today as well, my interviews on the 29th January. I wouldn't worry to much about the essay, from what I heard they're not that important for the animation interviews. I think the letter explaining about the portfolio was a general one for all the courses, not specifically for the animation courses, so I don't think all the information mentioned is a necessity. Although I may be wrong.
    You are right, the university has a one-size-fits-all approach to the information going out to applicants, but that will hopefully end very soon Anyway as you say the essay is not so important - I'd much rather see time spent on some amazing drawings than time spent on writing a short essay to show to me. However if you can write well, please bring along an essay - if I interview you I will certainly read it.

ReputationRep:
    That's a relief! I could really use the extra time, my exams seem to be taking up the bulk of my time at the moment. Some of the work I've done I've uploaded to my DeviantArt account, which you can have a look at here: http://affinityfx.deviantart.com/gallery/ I really would appreciate some critique on the environments if you have the time
    Sure, no problem - but do you want me to write it here or reply via PM? It makes no difference to me, but I wasn't sure how you would feel about it.

Good I'm glad your not advising a high end card, that really would have killed my budget I read about the new Mental Ray shaders not long ago, to be honest I was surprised that renderers haven't been taking advantage of the GPU already, it seems like a waste of power otherwise, I guess they were just waiting for the hardware to catch up.
    The main issue is that GPUs until fairly recently did not support the sort of customisable functions / pipelines that CPUs do. Hardware rendering has been around for at least 10 years, but it was very hard to make anything look good with the renders - only very simple shader and light models were supported so although they were fast to render, the results looked ugly... and nobody likes ugly renders!

You mention an increase in render times with Mental Ray, what about Vray, does Herts use that at all? Its just that the new Vray RT seems to be really impressive, it would certainly take a lot the guess work out and in the end save a lot of otherwise wasted time. I was really surprised to read that it doesn't use the GPU at all, just the CPU, even with realtime GI it doesn't use any hardware acceleration! I guess that's another reason to prioritise the processor.
    We don't have VRay at Herts. It is a good renderer though and worth learning if you want to work in architectural / product visualisation. VRay RT only supports certain shaders and has to run in a separate window as a separate piece of software, but, yes the test videos did look good

I think I'll be looking towards an Nvidia GTX card, probably something like a 275, perhaps a 280 if I can spare the money. Although in 8 months time when I build this PC, there maybe a new range out, in fact there must probably will be.
    I'm afraid I can't really advise on graphics cards to that level, I don't follow the technology that far.

Oh and another question, if you don't mind answering, do you think two 24" monitors would be an overkill? I use two 21" Samsungs at the moment, and as much as I like them, they don't display colour very accurately. I understand that's partly because their TN panels, do you think it would be worth spending the extra money to get an IPS based screen?
    Yes It would look cool though! Unless you have seriously poor eyesight I think you'll be fine with what you have, I've just bought a 23" monitor and it is the largest screen I've ever worked on - all the companies I've ever worked for have single screen monitors because there often isn't the physical space for two monitors on a desk. If you're staying in student accommodation it might be a good idea if you can fit two large monitors on a desk before buying them. The rest of what you asked went outside my knowledge of technology though, ask me about some art

Thanks again Martin, you've answered a lot of my questions in the past, for that I'm very grateful
    No problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moid)
    Sure, no problem - but do you want me to write it here or reply via PM? It makes no difference to me, but I wasn't sure how you would feel about it.
    Thank you, I'd prefer it if you'd PM me

(Original post by moid)
    The main issue is that GPUs until fairly recently did not support the sort of customisable functions / pipelines that CPUs do. Hardware rendering has been around for at least 10 years, but it was very hard to make anything look good with the renders - only very simple shader and light models were supported so although they were fast to render, the results looked ugly... and nobody likes ugly renders!
    Oh that makes sense, and I guess many companies where apprehensive about investing in the tech if they were the first to do so. I suppose it is only the first step in changing the way rendering is handled, perhaps in the future the technology will become more usable to the industry.

(Original post by moid)
    We don't have VRay at Herts. It is a good renderer though and worth learning if you want to work in architectural / product visualisation. VRay RT only supports certain shaders and has to run in a separate window as a separate piece of software, but, yes the test videos did look good
    Oh I didn't know it was so limited, I thought it would just fit right into Max's viewport as a plugin, hopefully that may change in the future because it would surely be such a help.

(Original post by moid)
    Yes It would look cool though! Unless you have seriously poor eyesight I think you'll be fine with what you have, I've just bought a 23" monitor and it is the largest screen I've ever worked on - all the companies I've ever worked for have single screen monitors because there often isn't the physical space for two monitors on a desk. If you're staying in student accommodation it might be a good idea if you can fit two large monitors on a desk before buying them. The rest of what you asked went outside my knowledge of technology though, ask me about some art
    Yeah I had thought about size. When I came to an open day I remember thinking, would two monitors fit on that tiny desk, to be honest it probably isn't the main thing to worry about when looking at accommodation!

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter from Hertforshire as well. Very happy about it
    One quick question for anyone that also got one. It asks for a written essay. Is that about animation as I do photogrpahy and have done a few written evaluations of mine and others work but no real essays. Should i write one about recent animated films or shorts ive seen because that would be pretty cool.

What are other people doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moid)
    That really depends on who interviews you, some lecturers are more keen on written skills than other (I like to read essays to see if the candidate can actually write and form a debate and construct arguements etc), but we are all interested in seeing your art first. I don't think we've ever turned anyone down for bringing a poor essay along, usually poor essays and poor artwork go hand in hand so we reject on the basis of poor artwork. You will have to have passed Maths and English GCSE as well as your UCAS points though. You do realise that you have to write essays as part of a degree though don't you? They are a quarter of the grades and you can't pass without completing them.
    I think that I'll be fine to write essays because I don't think that I write particularly badly. I'm just not a huge fan of it. I have a 3000 word art dissertation that's coming up soon, so hopefully I'll be an essay pro by the time that I'm at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mwilde)
    I got a letter from Hertforshire as well. Very happy about it
    One quick question for anyone that also got one. It asks for a written essay. Is that about animation as I do photogrpahy and have done a few written evaluations of mine and others work but no real essays. Should i write one about recent animated films or shorts ive seen because that would be pretty cool.

What are other people doing?
    Writing about animation will be fine However writing about photography is also good, most of the staff like photography or are photographers so you're in safe water there. I would use an essay you've already written; spend the time on making better artwork - that's the priority.

ReputationRep:
    I just got my letter from hertfordshire today
    Did you also get an email from Hertfordshire or UCAS as I live overseas and the post is sometimes terrible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animata)
    Did you also get an email from Hertfordshire or UCAS as I live overseas and the post is sometimes terrible!
    No i didn't get anything by email or UCAS, sorry. Hopefully your letter will arrive soon

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2018

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.