Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes. that's completely correct NLight, thanks for pointing it out - the 3D degree and the VFX degree are identical at year 1. Even the Games Art course only differs by having 6x2hour context lectures on Games Art History instead of Animation History. So you could accept the place, and swap over later in the year. This is the reason we have a common first year; because most students have not studied the subject at an earlier educational level and therefore do not know if they will enjoy it. You could get to the end of the year and decide you really want to be a Games Environment modeller - we would then just switch you to Games Art instead. We felt your portfolio was more suited towards VFX. If you decide to come on the course and tell us that you really prefer the 3D course (after doing some 3D and VFX specific modules) then we'll say fine, you've tried both and can now make a decision based on personal experience, not opinion. We often find that when we look at an applicant's portfolio we see more possibilities or skills routes than they do and we advise them on what direction we think they are best suited for - we are right far more times than we are wrong - and we know this because we allow the students to change degree if they want, and only 20% do.

If you want to study an Art Foundation I won't stop you; it will really add to your traditional art techniques and is a lot of fun

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that
    I thourght it was because my portfolio wasn't right, see my dad was mentioning about the same first year course, but i assumed if i didn't get on it now why would you let me change a year down the line.

ReputationRep:
    i have plenty of life drawings in my porfolio, but i dont have any graphic or photoshop kind of work, computer generated. i guess that sounds bad but would it be very necessary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactusboi)
    i have plenty of life drawings in my porfolio, but i dont have any graphic or photoshop kind of work, computer generated. i guess that sounds bad but would it be very necessary
    It would probably help your application quite a lot. In the email that Hertfordshire sent out they specified what they wanted and it included some 3d models so I would expect that they'd want you to at least have something, but i dunno. It also depends on where you're hoping to go. If it helps, i got an offer from Bournemouth without any digital art at all in my portfolio. I just had my a level art sketchpads, a sketchpad of life drawing and quite a lot of paintings.

ReputationRep:
    Cactusboi if your traditional work is of really high standard then you might be fine; we will accept people for animation at Hertfordshire without digital skills, but we would make a lot of recommendations about things you would need to know before starting the course - it's very risky taking someone who hasn't used Photoshop or a 3D program because they might hate the experience of using them and be happier studying illustration or some other art course where digital skills might not be so essential. Send me a link to your work if want some feedback on it, but I would recommend to you to use some animation programs before considering a degree in it, if you don't like the course you probably won't get your money back...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamhands)
    It would probably help your application quite a lot. In the email that Hertfordshire sent out they specified what they wanted and it included some 3d models so I would expect that they'd want you to at least have something, but i dunno. It also depends on where you're hoping to go. If it helps, i got an offer from Bournemouth without any digital art at all in my portfolio. I just had my a level art sketchpads, a sketchpad of life drawing and quite a lot of paintings.
    what marks did u get on the mths and logic tests

ReputationRep:
    94% on maths, 75% on logic, he didn't seem to like that, I got the guy that gave the talk -.- I don't think I got in, who were you there and what did you get :P (Group B here!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yinja)
    94% on maths, 75% on logic, he didn't seem to like that, I got the guy that gave the talk -.- I don't think I got in, who were you there and what did you get :P (Group B here!)
    ye i think i was in group B I had a nice interviewer, he had glasses and stuff. I got 80% on the logic and 56% on maths but i said im doing CAA so you can forgive me on the maths score. oh well :afro:

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I'm going to apply next year for the animation course at Bournemouth, Teeside, Hertfordshire, UCA and maybe another.
    I know that at Bournemouth you have to sit a logic and maths paper. What are they like? I have not studied maths since GCSE so I'm going to revise over the summer holidays, can anyone who has taken this paper tell me what sort of questions they ask and on what areas?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactusboi)
    what marks did u get on the mths and logic tests
    I got 97% in the maths and 80% in the logic. So I guess maybe my art wasn't as important to them as my tests and grades were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamhands)
    I got 97% in the maths and 80% in the logic. So I guess maybe my art wasn't as important to them as my tests and grades were.
    What did they say about your portfolio?

My results wern't bad but I don't think I impressed them on the interview T_T

ReputationRep:
    ello!

I was there on wednesday too, I was the kid in red with too much hair. I think i had the same interviewer as you cactusboi, Alex? Glasses, accent and he was being assessed by another guy to his left.. dunno how it went really. Alex was abit quiet and didnt ask any provoking questions so i was like talking and talking and talking and talking and he was just looking and smiling.

I got 47% on the mathies and 80% on the logico's which he said was uncommon; most normally get high on both or low on both.. i've been focused on my art over my maths so wasn't surprised by the low score i just need to put my math hat back on, probably too late now though, im good at being late - i got being late down, who wants to hire me as a late critic?

ReputationRep:
    I was the also there on Wednesday and in Group B. I was the one in the purple shirt. Got 61% in Maths and 65% in Logic. Was hoping for better but at least there's some consistency. I had the guy who did the talk too, he didn't give much away at all. He didn't seem enthusiastic or unenthusiastic with me, just have to wait and see. I think i remember you Orb with the red jeans/top and lots of blonde hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yinja)
    What did they say about your portfolio?

My results wern't bad but I don't think I impressed them on the interview T_T
    I had the same sort of feeling about the interview. I had peter comninos interviewing me and he didn't seem that enthused by my portfolio and didn't really say much about it either. The only reason that I came away feeling positive about the interview is cause he told me not to worry too much about whether I got in or not cause of my grades. He also told me at the end of the interview that I had done well but I didn't really feel that he liked me that much.

ReputationRep:
    Peter Comninos is the head of the NCCA, and is more of a technical lecturer than arty. If you do the non arts course, he'l teach you maths in your 2nd and third year. Maybe that was why he didn't say much about your portfolio, but im sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, a new comer here~ I'd like to ask for some advise on school choosing too!

I want an MA in 2D animation. My choices are UWE, Newport, Herts, and Tees (only the last one no offer yet).

UWE, Bristol -MA Animation, it's much more traditional kind
    Wales, Newport - how is Newport compared to UWE? they're similar...
    Herts - MA 2D Digital Animation, just hearing Moid tell me about it.
    Teesside University.-Applied for MA Concept Art for Games and Animation. It's just starting this year, therefore a bit risky. But I love concept art a lot.

Any word would be helpful~ I also posted the question here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1194454 but you can just drop the answer here too.

ReputationRep:
    My interview was him was the exact same jamhands. He skimmed through my portfolio and just said "ok" at the end of it. I think that's just how he does his interviews i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skuttlespike)
    I was the also there on Wednesday and in Group B. I was the one in the purple shirt. Got 61% in Maths and 65% in Logic. Was hoping for better but at least there's some consistency. I had the guy who did the talk too, he didn't give much away at all. He didn't seem enthusiastic or unenthusiastic with me, just have to wait and see. I think i remember you Orb with the red jeans/top and lots of blonde hair.
    I was the taller of the 2 asian girls that was sat next to the PC o/ Good luck with your results guys! He did say they HAD to release them by march 3rd...

ReputationRep:
    My daughter got an offer from Herts on the 19th Feb. She is sooo excited. It's for the 2D, which is what she's always wanted. She was told it was because of her life drawings, but there was some concern about her not having any flash experience. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of short summer course I could get her down this road? I've had a quick look, but there are so many different names & I'm at a loss when it comes to computer stuff!! Is it just flash that she should have a quick brush up on before her uni course starts?

Any info welcomed.

ReputationRep:
    I can't recommend any particular courses, I would recommend getting Flash, use some free online tutorials to get an understanding of how to use the interface and then get hold of Richard William's Animators Survival Kit book and start animating the exercises from that - walk, run and jumps are good for starters. Just get her to avoid all anime 'cheap' animation - the kind where the background flashes a lot and the characters remain static and only their eyes blink and mouths open, that kind, and make her draw every frame and make sure every part of the body moves! Also make sure she practices perspective drawing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.