The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

cactusboi
but id like the option of being able to take it around with me and stuff. and dont say to me get an external harddrive. wouldnt it just be easier with a laptop? or do most people use pcs.
why should i build a desktop over a laptop? I could get the same power but just for an extra cost

You honestly couldn't dude, most desktop GPU's are the width of of a laptop these days.

At the end of the day its up to you, its your time and money but when i was thinking of applying to Uni i spent a lot of time hunting down students work on youtube and faculty sites and time after time you see half assed playblasts because "my computer couldn't render the animation" with a sad face which is really pathetic.

As an example if i was going to build a PC today it would look something like this:

To be fair i never spent a whole lot of time on this but its roughly the way i'd go, lots of hard drive space, decent CPU and the best GPU (non-industry) on the market. Housed in a nice case on a nice board with a quality power supply with an after market CPU cooler to enable me to get the CPU up to 4ghz with some breathing room.

Now i may be wrong but i seriously doubt theres a laptop on the market that would compete with the above in terms of bang for buck.

I don't know what the course structures like at Bournemouth but if the classes are intensive you'll probably be using the uni's hardware more than your own which given the uni's reputation i assume is pretty current. If the classes don't take up too much of your time the mobility of your work station is less of a concern.

Laptops are very rarely value for money and considering how the software we work with makes full use of RAM, CPU as well as GPU it makes sense not to skimp for the sake of style/convenience.

Well, to me at least. :p:
Wozzie
You honestly couldn't dude, most desktop GPU's are the width of of a laptop these days.

At the end of the day its up to you, its your time and money but when i was thinking of applying to Uni i spent a lot of time hunting down students work on youtube and faculty sites and time after time you see half assed playblasts because "my computer couldn't render the animation" with a sad face which is really pathetic.

As an example if i was going to build a PC today it would look something like this:

To be fair i never spent a whole lot of time on this but its roughly the way i'd go, lots of hard drive space, decent CPU and the best GPU (non-industry) on the market. Housed in a nice case on a nice board with a quality power supply with an after market CPU cooler to enable me to get the CPU up to 4ghz with some breathing room.

Now i may be wrong but i seriously doubt theres a laptop on the market that would compete with the above in terms of bang for buck.

I don't know what the course structures like at Bournemouth but if the classes are intensive you'll probably be using the uni's hardware more than your own which given the uni's reputation i assume is pretty current. If the classes don't take up too much of your time the mobility of your work station is less of a concern.

Laptops are very rarely value for money and considering how the software we work with makes full use of RAM, CPU as well as GPU it makes sense not to skimp for the sake of style/convenience.

Well, to me at least. :p:

Thx for the help and advice, uve done well to put me off buying a laptop.
Perhaps I could buy a cheap laptop to do work on at home or elsewhere and do the rendering at uni
Reply 1082
cactusboi
Thx for the help and advice, uve done well to put me off buying a laptop.
Perhaps I could buy a cheap laptop to do work on at home or elsewhere and do the rendering at uni

At Bournemouth we have access to our computer labs 24/7 so if you really needed to do work you can always come to uni and do some work. Depending on where you live, but when we have deadlines coming up everyone lives in the labs, we've seen dawn in these labs, so I wouldn't worry about not being able to work.
You really don't need a computer at all. Like Marink said, we have 24/7 almost 360 days of the year open labs. you don't need a computer. When i was going to start i was freaking out about getting myself a computer, but when i got here i realized you don't actually need one. Save the money and get an epic one in the 2nd/3rd year.
Reply 1084
ColonelMoore
Hello everyone.

After much forum lurking, I decided to join up. I got an unconditional offer from herts for 3D Games Art, starting September, and I wondered if anyone else here is doing Games Art? Seems like not many people really mention it.

Also, although I've been using 3D apps for nearly two years (mostly Maya), my traditional art skills are not really up to much right now. This is mostly because I haven't done any drawing since taking Art at school. I did get an A in it at GCSE, and was generally one of the better artists in my class. However, I'd just like to know how difficult it is to pick up these life drawing skills and such, since GCSE art is mostly weird pop art stuff. "Hey look guys, four cans of soup in different colours, yay!"

I did dabble in some perspective drawing, and I had no trouble with the concept of it really, but life drawing is something that worries me.

Thanks
ColonelMoore

Hi ColonelMoore

You'd get more response about the other Games Art students if you post on the Herts student forum, if you haven't been sent the link PM me and I'll forward it to you. There's a thread there for all of next year's students to get to know each other before they join.

In terms of learning to draw, that comes down to how well you observe what is in front of you, plus advice from lecturers and also knowledge of anatomy (for life drawing) and perspective (for environment work). We teach both, but I'd recommend you practice a lot before arriving, all the best students are talented in both traditional and digital skills - if you want to be really good at digital art you will need traditional skills. If life drawing bothers you do what we say on the advice email we send out (I'm wondering if you didn't get this?) and find a local adult education course and join over the Summer and get drawing!
Reply 1085
SooulRiderr
Hi everyone,

I have been studying at Edge Hill university for the past year. Without saying too much, I would advise everyone to stay away from the course. Poor teaching and facilities.

I'm also looking at Hertfordshire. The reels are a lot better than anything I've seen anywhere else. I will shoot off some emails and phone calls on Monday, but I fear I may have already missed the bandwagon - is it too late for me to join? Can anyone tell me their experiences of process of getting into the uni?

Thanks for the compliment :smile: I have to say the chances are that yes, you have missed the bandwagon I'm afraid, the course is full. We do have one interview day left on June 10th, but you'll have to be astoundingly talented to get in, unless you are hoping to transfer into our level 2? Again you'll have to show you have all the level 1 skills we teach, and that's very rare - most first years from elsewhere applying for our second year have to go through our first year because without those skills it's almost impossible to pass year 2. The skills we want first years to have seem to be what most universities teach at level 2. If you are serious about coming to Herts come for an interview if you like and we could give you honest feedback about you portfolio and where you need practice. You could take a year out, practice and earn some cash and then apply again for year one, we'd see that as someone who is very serious about the course and not someone who likes watching cartoons so making them is bound to be fun... if you are going to do that, PM me and I'll send you some extra advice.
Reply 1086
hey guys... i just gave my math and logic tests and they were pretty easy. eager to know the results. hope i get an unconditional offer soon! :smile: if anyone needs to know about the tests or have any questions.. feel free to ask or pm me!

and i guess everyone's right that a desktop is more superior in performance with less cost as compared to a laptop of the same level of performance if not inferior! i already have a laptop, so that's another issue. and it works great with powerful softwares like Maya '10. but downfall is it heats up too much and the battery life is reduced. so you have to keep it plugged all the time you use it, which is not advisable for laptops. so yea, desktop is more of a popular choice. and i'd agree with agatha of getting one later in year 2 or so! :smile:

cheers x
Aggie-agatha
You really don't need a computer at all. Like Marink said, we have 24/7 almost 360 days of the year open labs. you don't need a computer. When i was going to start i was freaking out about getting myself a computer, but when i got here i realized you don't actually need one. Save the money and get an epic one in the 2nd/3rd year.

Ok thx to you and marink.

you contradict your point by saying "Save the money and get an epic one in the 2nd/3rd year" what is you of meaning?
Reply 1088
cactusboi
Ok thx to you and marink.

you contradict your point by saying "Save the money and get an epic one in the 2nd/3rd year" what is you of meaning?

heya,

she meant, save the money now (as you don't really need it) and buy one later in the 2nd/3rd year! :smile:
cactusboi
could use some suggestions:
need a laptop for uni, will be doing CA at bournemouth this year.
Whats the minimum graphics I need and stuff or just a recommendation would be nice.

A recent graphic card isn't that important these days, an old 6200 gfxcard can do a 1.5-2mil polygon scene at a editable framerate, unless your going to use 3ds maxs new renderer quicksilver (GPU + CPU) I'd advise spending the money on getting atleast 4-6gb of ram so you can use 64bit rendering, a quad core cpu and around 1tb or hdd space for textures and render passes.
Other than that, make sure you get a secondary monitor for referencing.
since the consensus is i dont need to buy a laptop (or pc) for uni. any other recommendations? I have some books in mind
cactusboi
since the consensus is i dont need to buy a laptop (or pc) for uni. any other recommendations? I have some books in mind

First things that come to mind are a wacom pen tablet, 3dconnexion mouse, and a external harddrive.
Reply 1092
osuoa
First things that come to mind are a wacom pen tablet, 3dconnexion mouse, and a external harddrive.

agree with osuoa. esp the wacom pen tablet! :smile:
osuoa

Ditto on that, tablet is an essential piece of kit. Not so sure about the 3dconnexion mouse as you won't miss what you never had but with student discounts you can get them at stupidly low prices.

I'll be getting one but have gotten on perfectly well without it up until now.
im taking this is the tablet? penis
so i guess they dont have them at uni, are these the tablets that you use to handdraw things through maya and stuff
cactusboi
im taking this is the tablet? penis
so i guess they dont have them at uni, are these the tablets that you use to handdraw things through maya and stuff

Yea that's what you want, it's most useful in sculpting programs like zbrush.
Reply 1096
cactusboi

Yeah, I'd go with the tablet, they are so useful, saved my life a few times this year with projects. And yeah, the bamboo you looked at was really good.

Ermm, as far as books go, I'd recommend the Animators Survival Kit and also Code by Charles Petzold, that will be your Bible this year. Also possibly Mathematics for Computer Graphics by John Vince is also pretty helpful with the maths side of things.

Other than that I didn't really need much else for Bournemouth, other than art supplies, like an A3 sketchbook, pencils etc.
Reply 1097
Marink
Yeah, I'd go with the tablet, they are so useful, saved my life a few times this year with projects. And yeah, the bamboo you looked at was really good.

Ermm, as far as books go, I'd recommend the Animators Survival Kit and also Code by Charles Petzold, that will be your Bible this year. Also possibly Mathematics for Computer Graphics by John Vince is also pretty helpful with the maths side of things.

Other than that I didn't really need much else for Bournemouth, other than art supplies, like an A3 sketchbook, pencils etc.

thanks a lot marink. i'm planning to get a tablet soon. if i'm lucky i'll get an intuos 4! :smile:

also thanks for the books advice.. i'll look for them once i'm in bournemouth! roughly 3 more months! so excited, can't wait to be there!!! :biggrin:
Reply 1098
dhaval_5
thanks a lot marink. i'm planning to get a tablet soon. if i'm lucky i'll get an intuos 4! :smile:

also thanks for the books advice.. i'll look for them once i'm in bournemouth! roughly 3 more months! so excited, can't wait to be there!!! :biggrin:

Haha no problem, always happy to help, btw if you're heading to Bournemouth this september, I'll be one of your PAL Leaders and we've set up a facebook group for next year, so you can join it and meet people starting the course next year too.
Animator's Survival Guide is my recommendation too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest