Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marink)
    Yeah, I'd go with the tablet, they are so useful, saved my life a few times this year with projects. And yeah, the bamboo you looked at was really good.

Ermm, as far as books go, I'd recommend the Animators Survival Kit and also Code by Charles Petzold, that will be your Bible this year. Also possibly Mathematics for Computer Graphics by John Vince is also pretty helpful with the maths side of things.

Other than that I didn't really need much else for Bournemouth, other than art supplies, like an A3 sketchbook, pencils etc.
    thanks a lot marink. i'm planning to get a tablet soon. if i'm lucky i'll get an intuos 4!

also thanks for the books advice.. i'll look for them once i'm in bournemouth! roughly 3 more months! so excited, can't wait to be there!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhaval_5)
    thanks a lot marink. i'm planning to get a tablet soon. if i'm lucky i'll get an intuos 4!

also thanks for the books advice.. i'll look for them once i'm in bournemouth! roughly 3 more months! so excited, can't wait to be there!!!
    Haha no problem, always happy to help, btw if you're heading to Bournemouth this september, I'll be one of your PAL Leaders and we've set up a facebook group for next year, so you can join it and meet people starting the course next year too.

ReputationRep:
    Animator's Survival Guide is my recommendation too

ReputationRep:
    Haha no problem, always happy to help, btw if you're heading to Bournemouth this september, I'll be one of your PAL Leaders and we've set up a facebook group for next year, so you can join it and meet people starting the course next year too.
    yup i just got confirmed a place in BACVA! which accommodation do you think is the best? i've applied for purbeck or corfe! hope i get in either of them! purbeck is my 1st choice though. and cool, i'll join the group! i've already met quite a lot who'll be at BU. it's great to know some people before hand. don't know many who'll be doing the same course with me though, just 4-5 of 'em! so you're in which year now btw?.. i know a few guys who'll be my seniors, like Gary Nisbet and Charlie Banks and a few more. looking forward to being there and getting to know you guys!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone im going to be applying for uni next year and have lots of questions that I would love answers too, been reading through the thread and it seems you guys know... so:

1. does anybody know if the courses at the university of Glamorgan or the university of Wales, Newport are any good? whats the best/worst bits, should I go to them? as I cant go to their open days I need all the info

2. Also any info about teeside would be really good, mainly if the course is enjoyable and what you thought about it in comparison to the other unis

3. Im also considering bournemouth, hertfordshire, portsmouth so any info on why a certain one is the best or whatever would be good

4. Is maths a really big part of the bournemouth course, Im not that great at it I got a B at GCSE and hope ill be able to pass the interview test

5. anyone go to Dun Laoghaire Institute of art design & technonlogy? I need as much information as possible!

How important is skillset when choosing a course?

ReputationRep:
    It might be a good idea to specify what sort of animation course you are looking for - many of those universities offer multiple forms of animation - I would guess you are looking at 3D or VFX because you are asking about the Bournemouth maths test, but you might not be looking for that sort of animation...

I can only offer info about your third and sixth question:

3. Hertfordshire is the best, easy, hands down, game over However I am somewhat biased It might be advisable to consider other poster's opinions apart from my own if you want a broader opinion. Actually a more useful piece of information is to go looking on video sites like Vimeo or Youtube for animations made by students from these colleges and then see what you think of them. Another opinion is that it depends on what you want to do at the end of your course - some of the courses you are asking about are quite experimental and fine art orientated in the animations that are produced there, whereas others are much more commercially focused - you need to know what you see yourself doing at the end of the degree and whether a job in a specific animation industry is what you want, or whether you wish to be a solo creative artist.

6. Not very important in my opinion. Skillset has no regulatory powers and until it does it's not going to be taken seriously by the animation industry. Skillset is important if you need a little logo to flash to your parents to help persuade them to part with more cash to finance your degree - it's the sort of thing that impresses parents because it's a little badge from the government, and parents like that sort of thing. The question is who do you think knows more about animation? A government quango or a group of lecturers who have industry experience? (of course if the degree you are looking at has neither of those, avoid it!). To say something good about Skillset, it does hold a few useful get togethers between animation companies and universities that are covered by it, and it does have a good list of subject matter in terms of what it thinks should be taught on an animation degree, which is a list I agree with, but then if you have any animation experience it's pretty obvious what you should be teaching, so it's mostly useful for academics who are setting a course up as opposed to animators setting a course up. It also is trying to set up greater collaboration between the industry and education, and that is potentially invaluable if they can get their goals up and running. So is it useful to a student applicant? - well theoretically if a course has Skillset approval it should be teaching a very wide range of skills to a perceived high level of quality. However if you spend some time looking at the quality of animation from many of the Skillset universities you might conclude otherwise. I would say look at the quality of the animations, if you see some that look good, google the student's names, find their websites/blogs/facebooks etc and find out where they are working. Lots of research now will pay off in the future. Especially as anyone who is going to study for a degree over the next five years is going to be paying a hell of a lot of money for it, make sure it definitely is what you want to do and that you are prepared to eat, sleep and breathe animation for three years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moid)
    It might be a good idea to specify what sort of animation course you are looking for - many of those universities offer multiple forms of animation - I would guess you are looking at 3D or VFX because you are asking about the Bournemouth maths test, but you might not be looking for that sort of animation...

I can only offer info about your third and sixth question:

3. Hertfordshire is the best, easy, hands down, game over However I am somewhat biased It might be advisable to consider other poster's opinions apart from my own if you want a broader opinion. Actually a more useful piece of information is to go looking on video sites like Vimeo or Youtube for animations made by students from these colleges and then see what you think of them. Another opinion is that it depends on what you want to do at the end of your course - some of the courses you are asking about are quite experimental and fine art orientated in the animations that are produced there, whereas others are much more commercially focused - you need to know what you see yourself doing at the end of the degree and whether a job in a specific animation industry is what you want, or whether you wish to be a solo creative artist.

6. Not very important in my opinion. Skillset has no regulatory powers and until it does it's not going to be taken seriously by the animation industry. Skillset is important if you need a little logo to flash to your parents to help persuade them to part with more cash to finance your degree - it's the sort of thing that impresses parents because it's a little badge from the government, and parents like that sort of thing. The question is who do you think knows more about animation? A government quango or a group of lecturers who have industry experience? (of course if the degree you are looking at has neither of those, avoid it!). To say something good about Skillset, it does hold a few useful get togethers between animation companies and universities that are covered by it, and it does have a good list of subject matter in terms of what it thinks should be taught on an animation degree, which is a list I agree with, but then if you have any animation experience it's pretty obvious what you should be teaching, so it's mostly useful for academics who are setting a course up as opposed to animators setting a course up. It also is trying to set up greater collaboration between the industry and education, and that is potentially invaluable if they can get their goals up and running. So is it useful to a student applicant? - well theoretically if a course has Skillset approval it should be teaching a very wide range of skills to a perceived high level of quality. However if you spend some time looking at the quality of animation from many of the Skillset universities you might conclude otherwise. I would say look at the quality of the animations, if you see some that look good, google the student's names, find their websites/blogs/facebooks etc and find out where they are working. Lots of research now will pay off in the future. Especially as anyone who is going to study for a degree over the next five years is going to be paying a hell of a lot of money for it, make sure it definitely is what you want to do and that you are prepared to eat, sleep and breathe animation for three years.

Thanks so much for your advice
    Im thinking mainly of going down the 3D route as that is what interests me most & hopefully I want to end up working for a animation company, biggest dream would be pixar or dreamworks but that will be a very long way off it it ever happens :P

Just a bit of extra info: im studing fine art, computing, graphics, medieval history and biology at AS (although im gonna drop biology or history depending on results) & an extended project in 3d computer modelling which is using 3DMax

& another question, what have people gone on to after going to hertfordshire in particular, have most found a job in animation & do any work for major names like aardman?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowyPrincess)
    Hi everyone im going to be applying for uni next year and have lots of questions that I would love answers too, been reading through the thread and it seems you guys know... so:

1. does anybody know if the courses at the university of Glamorgan or the university of Wales, Newport are any good? whats the best/worst bits, should I go to them? as I cant go to their open days I need all the info

2. Also any info about teeside would be really good, mainly if the course is enjoyable and what you thought about it in comparison to the other unis

3. Im also considering bournemouth, hertfordshire, portsmouth so any info on why a certain one is the best or whatever would be good

4. Is maths a really big part of the bournemouth course, Im not that great at it I got a B at GCSE and hope ill be able to pass the interview test

5. anyone go to Dun Laoghaire Institute of art design & technonlogy? I need as much information as possible!

1) nope, dont have a clue really, sorry :-\

2) again, no idea, but it's suppose to be good up there?

3) stay away from portsmouth especially if you're thinking of applyin to bournemouth, herts, and teesside. I am not going to tell you that bournemouth is the best, because at the moment it probably isnt as they are changing the course structure a lot. However it has an exceptionally high reputation of being the best according to the indsutry as they tend to prefer our graduates over others as we have a more well rounded technical and artistic knowledge of visual effects.
    From what i gather at herts, they teach no computer systems/animation system techniques/maths for computer graphics/programming/advanced scripting for animation.. which are all things part of the bournemouth (techy) course. Of course there is the new option of taking the arty route at bournemouth where you will only need to learn the programming, and maths for the first year. Afterwards its a lot more art based from what i've heard.

4) Yes, sorry to say but the first year does involve 2hour lectures, and a 1 hour tutorial session every week of maths. However Hammadi (the lecturer) goes incredibly slow for people like yourself who are not confident in this area. He still start from the basics and gradually the lectures will become more complex. Heres a link of the first year lectures for maths i had ;-)
    http://nccastaff.bmth.ac.uk/hncharif...CGs/maths.html

5) nope?

6) not that important i guess, however it was helpful in showing what courses i should look at as they have been accredited to be "the best" in the country. Herts should be on that list too.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Heya guys and gals,

I posted this in another section of the forum and I'm desperate for answers and opinions, since I'll be applying to a new school next year. Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heya all,

I've been reading through posts about Bournemouth's awesome animation degrees, but I'm curious to know is there a major difference between BA (Hons) Computer Visualisation and Animation and BA (Hons) Computer Animation Arts?

I've only ever heard of people praising the first one, and never heard anything of the latter

I've always wanted to concentrate on the more artistic side of 3D (being a character/environment/concept artist), but I'd really like to first hear is there any point of me applying for the more artistic degree, if it's not as good as the other one?

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your advice
    Im thinking mainly of going down the 3D route as that is what interests me most & hopefully I want to end up working for a animation company, biggest dream would be pixar or dreamworks but that will be a very long way off it it ever happens :P

Just a bit of extra info: im studing fine art, computing, graphics, medieval history and biology at AS (although im gonna drop biology or history depending on results) & an extended project in 3d computer modelling which is using 3DMax

& another question, what have people gone on to after going to hertfordshire in particular, have most found a job in animation & do any work for major names like aardman?
    OK Pixar / Dreamworks would be very very long term plans - it is extremely difficult to get VISA/working permits to work in the US for non US citizens at the moment - usually you will need at least six years work experience in the UK in similar companies to the US, you may even need a Masters as well. And your artwork will have to be exemplary.

Keep the history A-level if it teaches you to look at buildings/ clothing/ tools etc of the period, that sort of thing is invaluable knowledge for creating 'realistic' mediaeval inspired art - fantasy art for games especially. Alternatively if the biology teaches a lot of human anatomy, keep that, excellent reference for human modelling.

You will find Herts graduates in almost every major UK VFX and games company, as well as in many visualisation / simulation companies

3D/VFX

Activ8
    AixSponza
    Animated Storyboards
    BlinkInk
    Boutiq
    Cinesite
    Click 3X
    Digi-Guys
    Disney Production
    Double Negative
    EarthWare Vis
    Framestore
    Happy Finish
    Hi-ReS
    Huge Media
    ImpossibleTV
    Keyframe Studios
    Mainframe
    Moving Picture Company
    Munky
    The Mill
    Passion Pictures
    Picasso Pictures
    Pipedreams 3D
    Prime Focus
    PTE media
    Redvision
    ReelGood
    SEA NAVY
    Saddington & Baynes
    Selex SI
    Spider Eye
    StitchthatTV
    Studio AKA
    Th1ng

Games

Sony-London Studio
    Sony-Cambridge Studio
    Crytek UK
    Eurocom
    FreestyleGames
    Splash Damage
    Juice Games
    Kuju
    Blitz Games
    Frontier
    Creative Assembly
    Rare-Microsoft Games
    Rebellion Games
    Digi-Guys
    Poly Assets United Inc
    Nintendo

Visualisation

Smoothe
    PreConstruct
    Build
    Uniform
    V-Real
    Douglas Fisher
    Random 42

We don't have anyone in Aardman, but you do know that Aardman is a traditional stop motion animation studio don't you? We don't teach stop motion at Herts... although they do have a very small digital team for sky replacement/ wire removal and particle effects, but none of our graduates work there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadfish41)

3) stay away from portsmouth especially if you're thinking of applyin to bournemouth, herts, and teesside. I am not going to tell you that bournemouth is the best, because at the moment it probably isnt as they are changing the course structure a lot. However it has an exceptionally high reputation of being the best according to the indsutry as they tend to prefer our graduates over others as we have a more well rounded technical and artistic knowledge of visual effects.
    From what i gather at herts, they teach no computer systems/animation system techniques/maths for computer graphics/programming/advanced scripting for animation.. which are all things part of the bournemouth (techy) course. Of course there is the new option of taking the arty route at bournemouth where you will only need to learn the programming, and maths for the first year. Afterwards its a lot more art based from what i've heard.
    At Herts we do teach scripting, but mostly for rigging characters because we do a lot of character animation, and it's damn hard to animate without a decent rig. There is also scripting for modifying Game Engines for the Games Students so they can put custom attributes on in game assets or make changes to gameplay functionality, but we don't teach the level of maths and programming that Bournemouth do, and if you are interested in that side of 3D I would strongly recommend their course instead of ours. If you want to be an artist I would of course recommend us

(Original post by Deadfish41)
    6) not that important i guess, however it was helpful in showing what courses i should look at as they have been accredited to be "the best" in the country. Herts should be on that list too.
    Thanks very much All I can officially say about this is that we are working on it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jary)
    Heya all,

I've been reading through posts about Bournemouth's awesome animation degrees, but I'm curious to know is there a major difference between BA (Hons) Computer Visualisation and Animation and BA (Hons) Computer Animation Arts?

I've only ever heard of people praising the first one, and never heard anything of the latter

I've always wanted to concentrate on the more artistic side of 3D (being a character/environment/concept artist), but I'd really like to first hear is there any point of me applying for the more artistic degree, if it's not as good as the other one?

Thank you in advance!
    The reason why you won't have heard much about the Animation Arts course is because it's a new course and only started last year, so people haven't had a chance to experience it yet. Basically they both have the same first year so you all learn the basics of animation, modelling, effects, maths, programming etc. and then after that they split into the two difference courses.

Basically it is just as prestigious as the other course because it comes from the NCCA, as you say it focuses more on the more artistic side of animation, more on pre-production and then development, whereas the visualisation course focuses more on the all round product but is slightly more technical doing maths and programming etc. I'm sure you have but the best thing to see what's in the course would be to go here.

2. I don't go there, but after Bournemouth and Herts, I'd say Teesside is a fairly good bet to go to, they have a good centre up there.

3. If you can get into Herts and Bournemouth, don't consider Portsmouth would be my opinion. It really depends on what you want to do, if you want to be more artistic based and do more character animation and development etc I'd say go to Herts, but if you want to do a more technical course and get an all round knowledge of animation I'd say come to Bournemouth.

Bournemouth is good if you want to get a really good try at everything in animation, as you get to do both pre and post production to an in depth which is why it's so hard, but it will definitely be worth it when you graduate.

4. Depending on which course you choose at Bournemouth you will be doing maths for either 1 or the full 3 years. If you got a B then you should be able to get in as long as you just revise up on a few subjects and have a good portfolio. But as Deadfish said, they are very helpful with the maths, there were extra tutorials running throughout the year for those that wished to attend so don't think there won't be anyone else in your shoes.

6. Skillset is important but don't see it as the be all and end all, it's good for getting a measure of a place, but there are some institutions that I feel shouldn't have it and some that I feel should, Herts for instance, but it does give a good measure of somewhere to start looking.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why you won't have heard much about the Animation Arts course is because it's a new course and only started last year, so people haven't had a chance to experience it yet. Basically they both have the same first year so you all learn the basics of animation, modelling, effects, maths, programming etc. and then after that they split into the two difference courses.

Basically it is just as prestigious as the other course because it comes from the NCCA, as you say it focuses more on the more artistic side of animation, more on pre-production and then development, whereas the visualisation course focuses more on the all round product but is slightly more technical doing maths and programming etc. I'm sure you have but the best thing to see what's in the course would be to go here.
    Ok, in that case, I'm so torn about whether to choose Computer Animation Arts in Bournemouth, or 3D Digital Animation in Hertfordshire (if we imagine me getting accepted to both ). Both seem such great programs!

I'm more interested in becoming a modeller of some sort, so therefore Hertfordshire got my interest at first, but now that Bournemouth is offering something more art based too this is going to be a damn hard decision

HELP ME! lol. Give me reasons why I should choose the other over the another. I depend on you guys! :P

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephyxio)
    I was in the exact same situation only 2 months ago when I had to choose between CAA at Bournemouth or 3D Animation at Hertfordshire by the UCAS deadline.

It was such a tough decision but I chose Hertfordshire in the end because it's more arty, and I want to do character animation or modelling. Hertfordshire had 3 life drawing sessions a week too. CAA at Bournemouth still has maths in the first year because CVA and CAA share the same first year.

But it sounds like you have almost an entire year to decide (I assume you're applying for September 2011?). So just apply for both and if you're lucky enough get in to both then visit both unis and have a look for yourself

I did visit Hertfordshire for their film day a few weeks ago. And while I was giving a friend a lift to his house, I saw this angry man pacing outside his house with a metal baseball bat, which was a little bit... scary. That's one of the things that worried me about Hertfordshire - not the course but the area. Hatfield doesn't look like the nicest of places, but there are other towns nearby and better for night life/ doing things, etc
    Thank you so much for this answer.

I didn't even realise CVA and CAA shared the first year (stupid me for not looking more carefully into the curriculum). I've done a tad bit of programming before and I can really say it is not my thing. I hated it :/

Like you said, I'll just apply to both and see how it goes. Then if I'm lucky enough to get into both, I'll have to visit the campuses and see which one feels more like home to me

Yeah I've heard scary things about Hatfield but... To be totally honest, I think I'll be spending most of my time at the campus anyway (as there's not much to do outside of it, lol), so I doubt I'll bump into guys with metal baseball bats :P

ReputationRep:
    hey guys can u help me by telling how teesside university is for animation i have gone through d whole thread nd there isnt much abt teesside uni pls help me guys nd thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    If you are willing, would it be possible for someone to post/pm me a link to a couple of their drawings (either from an animation student, or from a portfolio of someone who is applying)? I'd just like to see some of the quality of the sketches, as people have posted links to actual animations, but not hand drawn designs. I understand that there is such a variety of skill levels, but I'd just like to get a feel for what is expected.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I've always had a little lurk around this thread;
    I did BA Graphic Design for first year at Salford and it was really quite awful. However, was pleased that I was able to transfer course to BA Design for Digital Media - even more happier that the co-ordinator of the course saw I had potential and allowed me to transfer into 2nd year in September.
    I've got a bit to learn - but I'm much looking forward to the combination of animation, bit of 3d, videograpghy, photography and lots of web design/web programming.
    It looks fantastic; and I know it's going to be a challenge - but in a good, and enjoyable way
    So much more potential for jobs, and lots of interesting placements they have too.
    I remember looking at the course when I applied at UCAS... and I was told by college tutors that Graphic Design was a more established/better course and you'd learn more skills... totally disagree! Ha.

Anyway, point is... I'm glad to have managed to transfer course to something that is... a good mixture of art/design, and technical. Which is good Woop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shantan)
    hey guys can u help me by telling how teesside university is for animation i have gone through d whole thread nd there isnt much abt teesside uni pls help me guys nd thanks in advance
    Well as far as I know, not that I go there, but after Herts and Bournemouth, Teesside is imo the best university for Animation in the UK, it has some really nice facilities, a good reputation and produces some good work. It just hasn't quite got the reputation of the others, but is still skillset accredited so it's pretty decent.

(Original post by uiophannah)
    If you are willing, would it be possible for someone to post/pm me a link to a couple of their drawings (either from an animation student, or from a portfolio of someone who is applying)? I'd just like to see some of the quality of the sketches, as people have posted links to actual animations, but not hand drawn designs. I understand that there is such a variety of skill levels, but I'd just like to get a feel for what is expected.
    Thank you!
    Some of my work can be found here, although I went to my interviews mainly focusing on my technical strengths so didn't really have the strongest portfolio, and as such I didn't get offered a place at Hertfordshire, however for my technical universities I did well. So it really depends what courses you're applying for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uiophannah)
    Thank you!
    hey, and some of my works from the portfolio that i submitted can be found here.
    Hope that helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.