Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Con: please:
    how many drawings from life did you include in the portfolio?

I'm not sure I'm putting enough in mine.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Con:)
    the guy at herts (ginger longish hair, funny, kl guy), said mine was good, had good life drawings but i didn't put any of my 3D characters or images in there (i knew i was missing something). He offered me a place, and even gave me some tips on the Bournemouth interview, which felt weird because he was really selling Bournemouth(the technical side anyway).

Also had a discussion, about why it wasn't on the skill set, lol, it went fine, to anyone else going to herts for an interview: its really relaxed might have to fill in a few questionnaires and they try and find out how much knowledge you have about the subject.
    That'll be Martin - He's just about one of the best teachers I've ever had, subject aside. He's immeasurably enthusiastic, and brilliantly knowledgeable. He was giving you advice in Bournemouth because I genuinely believe he wants people to do what's best for them. He's an absolutely great guy.

ReputationRep:
    @Five

I put in 10 of my best, ranging from A3 (4 of them) A2 (4 aswell) and A1(2) i have bournemouth, so im might include some more or just go with 3D

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, Con:. I look forward for this to be over, I am so stressed. I just want to finish this portfolio it's driving me nuts.
    I'm starting to see everything/one like drawing material.... :eek:
    Ahia haaiaiiaaa ahaiaiai.

ReputationRep:
    Iv had my borunemouth interview!!!

It went quite well i think. il go through it.

First we were sent upstairs to the exam room where we did some maths tests, these werent as scary as i thought they were going to be. I cant remember exact questions, but it was generally a big table of short questions or expressions, with 3 possible answers. Theres no real room for working things out and it ranged from hard things to easy stuff. Theres quite a few sin, cos, tan expressions etc, some fractions a couple of surds... I would revise most general things, but if you know As level maths you should pass. I got 86% with a few stupid mistakes i shouldnt have made lol.

The logic was fine for a couple of questions but i fudged one of them which i didnt really understand what to do. Basically it will give you a little story/explaniation of a scenario and then some true / false statements afterwards. I got 75%.

The life drawing test was cancelled, which was good and bad i guess. I had brought quite a few life drawing examples with my portfolio so i think i had enough to get through with.

The interview was simply me going through my portfolio (life drawings, graphics folder, photography folder, digital art) and talking about it with interviewer (iv forgotten who it was). Then he simply asked why i chose animation and i was done I think iv done enough to get through. Il find out in a few weeks.

Hope this helps you and doesnt give too much away at the same time

ReputationRep:
    kl, thanks

been revising for an ict exam that i had today (and yesterday) so i have done like no math revision, too week to start today so gonna have to start tomorrow(gonna go over trig, and some algebra), my interviews on Wednesday.

Gonna have to bulk up my portfolio too.

ReputationRep:
    just wondering if it is necessary to have done digital work before? I was thinking of including some 2d animation sequences and maybe a simple flipbook and some character designs so would they be ok instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thumper_bear_09)
    just wondering if it is necessary to have done digital work before? I was thinking of including some 2d animation sequences and maybe a simple flipbook and some character designs so would they be ok instead?

depends what course your applying to and where?

@tomdrum6
    Should i bring my own drawing equipment to the interview, and maths stuff, or is there no need to do in depth calculations. Also did you have a chance to look around the uni? (haven't seen it yet) How long is the Life Drawing test? (anyone who did it or knows)

ReputationRep:
    No digital is absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I just sent out the first two applications and portfolios... I will wait another week before sending the third one so they don't overlap.
    Now it's just... waiting.
    Please let's keep on updating each other. Fingers crossed for everyone!

ReputationRep:
    - Con

the maths is very basic, all you need is a pen which they provide. No calculators or anything. That can be good or bad i guess, but if you know your geenral maths yu should be absolutely fine.

The drawing we didnt do, but i would say bring some soft pencils and a rubber anyway. It looked like the test would be around an hour long, with nude models but i also got the impression we may draw some objects.

And the only chance we got to look round the uni was when we had our extended lunch, no tour or anything. Its looking nice, but i felt a bit intimidated to actually barge in to look around hehe. Last time i went the rooms were empty, so nice to see things in there. I would say look around the cafe areas and main bits, and in the animation building.

ReputationRep:
    literally just got back from my Bournemouth interview, exhausted!!!!

The tests were OK, wasn't prepared enough for the maths on, and as the last time i did maths was GCSE, 75%, and the foreign guy who is head of maths told me that it wasn't very good.

Life drawing was a a pain, like 30, 30second drawings, on a clip bored printer paper in a cramped class room (not very well planned at all). But mine were still OK.

Logic was OK it was like a written word version of cluedo, or a really bad script from murder she wrote. 80%

They really liked my portfolio, but they didn't ask me any questions about anything in the interview (i had two foreign people a women and a man). Have to say doesn't look good for me. I also looked around the uni and wasn't really impressed equipment is old and the campus isn't that great, still will consider it IF i get an offer. Little disappointed i guess, raised my hopes about the course and the uni too high, and it fell short.

ReputationRep:
    Con:, thanks for the update. I'm very confused now. Sent out application to other 2 places as I guess more suitable for me -they are more funky, I don't want to be a broom for one year if you know what I mean-, and waiting to send the BU one next week not to overlap possible interviews... now... big question mark. Actually what makes me think about the BU course is that they use Softimage, which is more for the special effects than for the animation stuff... I want to do 3d character animation. Dunno, what do you mean by old equipment though? This is weird.... they are supposed to be the top for that. Please could you be more specific?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, its not really old but just not as good as the computers that were at Herts, and no where near as powerful as the ones at Brunel, and the campus isn't great to be honest.

When i was introduced to the course i was shown, a thin sheet of acetate with the the 1st year of the course outlined on it, broken down into units, just a little table? And one of the lectures went through it, and described why people shouldn't go on the course, explaining that it is hard work and that it is not an art course, the creative side is only a very small part of the course. Comparatively when i went to brunel i had a 3D presentation in there mini imax cinema they have in the bitlab, they showed me there motion capture technology, their crazy 3D plasma screens which you don't need to where glasses with.
    Herts also did a large presentation, it just seemed that Bournemouth didn't care, they were either being arrogant, or they have already filled all the positions on the course, and they had to give us interview because they sent us all letters.(others in my group felt the same way, especially when we came out of our interviews).

Not trying to put anyone off Bournemouth its always best to make your own decision, it just didn't meet up to my expectations.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they just wanted to scare you... I hear you btw. The lack of the creative side worries me a lot. I mean... how can you be a good animator without expressing your creativity? I don't want to reduce myself to do mo-cap. I want to create an animation from scratch and from observation, and follow the example of the great Williams. Cool, at this point I really hope my other 2 choices will reply soon and give me a chance... thanks for posting your thoughts man.

ReputationRep:
    the course at bournemouth is VERY technical. we only get 2 hours a week working with Maya, and 2 hours life drawing.. you will have to teach yourself how to model characters and how to actually animate.. they just give you the basics.. as in the very basics.
    theres quite a few people in my year who are disappointed with the lack of art thats on the course, but they were told that before joining so its there fault for not realising before coming here. there is a lot of creativity involved as in the first year you work in a group to create an animation. the second year is meant to be very tough, as there are so many mini projects involving animation/modelling/scripting.
    i wouldnt go to bournemouth if you dont want to learn any maths/programming/mel scripting as it is quite tough, however those skills will probably be the most useful when applying for jobs after i've graduated.

ReputationRep:
    That's very helpful, thank you. Not sure this is the right course for me then... it sounds more like a game design course to me. That said, I am sure it is an excellent course for more technical-minded people.

ReputationRep:
    Well when i went to the interview it left a good impression, they explained that the room they used wasnt the usual room for interviews and so i didnt care about the projector being used. They also didnt try to put us off but went through the units which to me were exactly what i wanted to do. Edit - I do admit though, I didnt really get a presentation of the facilites or what you can do, i think they assumed you already knew. I hope they have alot to offer if i go there. Could anyone clear this up? Deadfish?

As far as equipment is concered...last time i went round in the summer they didnt have anything to show, so i assumed everything was brand new. The big yellow tower computers looked very powerful, whether they were is another matter. But i didnt really get a chance to properly look at all the facilities. I would agree Herts was a very nice campus and atmospher with great facilities. I also get this feel from bournemouth though (exept the campus isnt quite as good).

With the course, i understand that it is definitely for oth technical and creative. I personally dont want to go to a course where all i learn is how to use the software and animate within it, as this is relatively simple and as you say can be picked up yourself. I am more interested in being able to apply programming and maths to my animations to get better results. I feel this will ultimately lead to a much better, aniamtion director job (i think they described it as). And will also allow better quality animations and the ability to branch into SFX, games, animation and possibly programming.

Sorry for the essay, to conclude I personaly thought it was a nice place with good facilites, and had the best course for a future creer in the business. It depends how technical you want to get, if you only what to be a character ot environment Artist / animator maybe it isnt the right course.

ReputationRep:
    Just spoke to a VERY experienced cut-scene animator where I work -games industry-. They don't script. Maybe it's an exception....
    Dunno, to be honest I prefer to be a very good animator rather than a bit of everything but nothing good...
    I am so confused...
    aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    I am gonna scream now!

ReputationRep:
    scripting is a very powerful language to learn, don't underestimate what it can help you do in the future.

i dont actually know the spec of the computers im using here, but they are faster than mine which is 2.4Ghz dual core, 2GB RAM, 300gb HDD blah blah...

anyway, good luck wherever you go or do

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.