Turn on thread page Beta

Sex-linked genes - haemophilia - why can't you get a female sufferer? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you get XhXh?

Also, if anyone knows, what does co-dominance mean? I thought it was when the blending thing happens (eg you get a tortoiseshell cat) but the s-cool.co.uk says it isn't that at all. I'm confused now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    Why can't you get XhXh?
    To get a female sufferer (XhXh) you'd need to get a male sufferer (XhY) to mate with a female carrier (XhX)

(and even then, there is only a 50% chance that the female will be a sufferer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    what does co-dominance mean?
    Co-dominance means that two different alleles of a gene are expressed equally...

ReputationRep:
    Females can be affected, but only if both the parents are affected by the disease. The probability of an affected male and a carrier female mating are very small though, so this is usually not mentioned. The normal situation would be for one affected person to mate with an unaffected person, in which case, any females with the allele would be carriers, whereas all males that inherit that allele would be affected.

So in summary, females can be affected, but the mating requirements are of low probability.

EDIT - Revenged beat me too it :p: And explained it much more succintly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    EDIT - Revenged beat me too it :p: And explained it much more succintly.
    lol... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Well both explanations were good, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You can get female sufferers, but they tend not to live very long, for obvous reasons :s

ReputationRep:
    You can get female sufferers, but they tend not to live very long, for obvous reasons :s
    Yes quite, isn't it that they won't survive past menstruation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    This is totally wrong...

Haemophilia is easily treatable and recominant clotting factors have been readily available for a long time...

ReputationRep:
    I said that to my biology teacher, and he said that whilst that may be true, for the purposes of an exam question they're very unlikely to survive.

Stupid I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    I said that to my biology teacher, and he said that whilst that may be true, for the purposes of an exam question they're very unlikely to survive.

Stupid I know.

Ignore your biology teacher... He is wrong...

ReputationRep:
    Come to think of it my biology teacher was saying the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    I know it is, someone in my family somewhere is a female sufferer. However, my teacher just said that in an exam, if they ask why it's unlikely, it's because female sufferers are less likely to survive to childbearing age.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.