The Student Room Group

I hate certificates

Background story: Im a high achieving pupil at a state school and I get my fair share of awards. However, and I don't wanna sound ungrateful, all my awards are just pieces of paper with 'congratulations' on them.
In my school people have recieved iPads, kindles, chromebooks and headphones for: turning up to school and making good progress.

Does this happen to anyone else? It just peeves me off when my friends say: you always get awards. Wrong! I try my hardest and get useless crap which harms the environment, Ive never had more than that, and one of my friends just got a kindle for scoring well in a quiz. Its just not fair how some people are overlooked :frown: rant over
(edited 9 years ago)
Private school problems

Posted from TSR Mobile
Poor Tarquin.

Edit: it seems this new generation of students expect more than simply a sense of achievement; they feel they are now entitled to electronics for doing a few GCSEs!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Kindles?! Chromebooks?!?! iPads?!?!?! ....

Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Private school problems

Posted from TSR Mobile

^ It would seem so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by chidchilli

^ It would seem so...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Private school problems

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by chidchilli

^ It would seem so...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd think so, well its actually a state school. They give this free stuff to the worst pupils coz they mostly come from run down families to encourage them to come. It means that they cant afford to heat the sixth form properly so we have to sit in coats
Is this post in the right section? This area is for teacher training.

I agree with the others, I was also a high achieving pupil at school and the most I got was a pen. If you're the one who finishes with all the qualifications you need to get to where you want in life, a good career will be your reward. You shouldn't need or expect flashy prizes; it's not like anyone gives you anything for free in the real world.
Original post by Veggiechic6
Is this post in the right section? This area is for teacher training.

I agree with the others, I was also a high achieving pupil at school and the most I got was a pen. If you're the one who finishes with all the qualifications you need to get to where you want in life, a good career will be your reward. You shouldn't need or expect flashy prizes; it's not like anyone gives you anything for free in the real world.

I totally agree with this! I was the highest scoring student at school in my GCSE year, yet all of the awards went to other people in the year, including the award for Best Academic Achievement... so I know how you feel! But as has been said, if you are encouraged by free things, you will fail later on in life because 99% of the time, it takes actual work to get something that you want.
Reply 7
Original post by possum_box
Background story: Im a high achieving pupil at a state school and I get my fair share of awards. However, and I don't wanna sound ungrateful, all my awards are just pieces of paper with 'congratulations' on them.
In my school people have recieved iPads, kindles, chromebooks and headphones for: turning up to school and making good progress.

Does this happen to anyone else? It just peeves me off when my friends say: you always get awards. Wrong! I try my hardest and get useless crap which harms the environment, Ive never had more than that, and one of my friends just got a kindle for scoring well in a quiz. Its just not fair how some people are overlooked :frown: rant over

I hate you:smile:
Original post by Veggiechic6
If you're the one who finishes with all the qualifications you need to get to where you want in life, a good career will be your reward. You shouldn't need or expect flashy prizes; it's not like anyone gives you anything for free in the real world.

Word.
You talk sense, I like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest