What can we do about our letting agent not replying to anything? Watch

BioIz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Our washing machine has been broken for coming up to two weeks now. An engineer came out a week and a half ago but said that the machine would need to be replaced. Our letting agent emailed me the next day to say that he had let the landlord know and would get back to me asap as he realised it was urgent. That was 10 days ago and despite sending two emails in the interim, I have heard nothing from the letting agent about when we can expect a replacement. I'm going to ring up next week if I don't hear anything but I was wondering if anyone had tips for dealing with the letting agent on the phone? I think it's pretty unreasonable for him to just ignore us and we're all going home in two weeks so I want to get this sorted before then.

Tips would be muchappreciated!
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Firstly, there is no regulation/registration for letting agents, and they have few responsibilities in law. If they are being deliberately obstructive, the best thing to do is to try and contact the landlord directly, as at least you have some legal rights when dealing with them.

However, I would try to contact them via phone, or even go to the office in person. Sometimes emails get buried, or forgotten about, especially in a busy office.

On the phone, be polite but assertive, maybe write down all the points you want to make before hand. If they tell you the landlord is causing the delay, ask to be able to speak to them directly- ultimately, the letting agents are not the ones who are paying for the new washing machine either. I would make sure you confirm any promises in writing via email afterwards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.82%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.49%
No- I want it (68)
27.76%
No- I don't want it (17)