You-know-who
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Okay, I remember from AS that we used either CCl4 or hexane to separate the two layers in the identification of the halogen in the halogenoalkane (the reaction of silver nitrate with ethanol and the halogenoalkane, producing precipitates of AgCl, AgBr or AgI). And for the recrystallisation of methyl-3-nitrobenzene, we dissolve it in hot ethanol. The point is, when do I use ethanol, hexane or CCl4 as a solvent for organic compounds? And which particular organic compounds dissolve in which?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by You-know-who)
Okay, I remember from AS that we used either CCl4 or hexane to separate the two layers in the identification of the halogen in the halogenoalkane (the reaction of silver nitrate with ethanol and the halogenoalkane, producing precipitates of AgCl, AgBr or AgI). And for the recrystallisation of methyl-3-nitrobenzene, we dissolve it in hot ethanol. The point is, when do I use ethanol, hexane or CCl4 as a solvent for organic compounds? And which particular organic compounds dissolve in which?
Ethanol is totally miscible with water, hence no layers. It is a good solvent when you want both organic and inorganic to react together.

Hexane is non-polar and dissolves non-polar substances.
You-know-who
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
Ethanol is totally miscible with water, hence no layers. It is a good solvent when you want both organic and inorganic to react together.

Hexane is non-polar and dissolves non-polar substances.
Thank you so much for clearing that up.
Infraspecies
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
CCl4 is basically never used. It's an awful chemical.

DCM is more prevalent.
You-know-who
Rep:
?
(Original post by Infraspecies)
CCl4 is basically never used. It's an awful chemical.

DCM is more prevalent.
DCM? Which is...?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by You-know-who)
DCM? Which is...?
dichloromethane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.7%
Excited but a bit nervous (148)
45.4%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.66%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.25%

Watched Threads