The Student Room Group

Creative writing Enduring love

Has anyone got any advice for writing a creative writing piece (750 words) based on Enduring Love? Thanks x:biggrin:
Moved :smile:
Reply 2
Moved?
Original post by asan1998
Has anyone got any advice for writing a creative writing piece (750 words) based on Enduring Love? Thanks x:biggrin:

Is this a re creative piece as part of the coursework? If so, what extract are you choosing? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by katinthehat
Is this a re creative piece as part of the coursework? If so, what extract are you choosing? :smile:

Yes, this is for the coursework :smile: I'm choosing the opening chapter and the balloon incident. Any help would be appreciated :smile: what about you?
Original post by asan1998
Yes, this is for the coursework :smile: I'm choosing the opening chapter and the balloon incident. Any help would be appreciated :smile: what about you?

I can help then! We actually studied this extract in our class (but I haven't read the whole novel). Our teacher advised us to take on the persona of one of the other character's approach to the 'balloon incident' - for example, one of the farm labourers, John Logan, Jed Parry, Clarissa or the granddad or grandson in the balloon.

She also told us that important elements in mimicking McEwan's style would include:

The way in which he specifically names things instead of describing them (for example, 'turkey oak' instead of 'tree' and '1987 Daumas Gassac' instead of 'wine'

His varied sentence length. Golden rule is 'Short sentence for effect, long sentence for description'.

Rhetorical questions, tension building etc...I'm sure you know most of this :wink:

Another key thing to remember if you do decide to take on a role is keeping it authentic. For example, if you use a farm labourer, he's probably going to be using a lot of colloquial language, or if you pick the doctor John Logan, he'll probably use medical jargon.

I really wanted to do re-creative, considering I also do creative writing a-level, but unfortunately it was near impossible. I was the only one in our class who wanted to do it, and she had to focus her coursework lecturing on the majority obviously. I found it was easier just to use the classwork and do an essay instead of having to go after school and learn how to structure a re-creative etc. My text is A Streetcar Named Desire :smile:

Hope this helped!
Reply 6
Original post by katinthehat
I can help then! We actually studied this extract in our class (but I haven't read the whole novel). Our teacher advised us to take on the persona of one of the other character's approach to the 'balloon incident' - for example, one of the farm labourers, John Logan, Jed Parry, Clarissa or the granddad or grandson in the balloon.

She also told us that important elements in mimicking McEwan's style would include:

The way in which he specifically names things instead of describing them (for example, 'turkey oak' instead of 'tree' and '1987 Daumas Gassac' instead of 'wine'

His varied sentence length. Golden rule is 'Short sentence for effect, long sentence for description'.

Rhetorical questions, tension building etc...I'm sure you know most of this :wink:

Another key thing to remember if you do decide to take on a role is keeping it authentic. For example, if you use a farm labourer, he's probably going to be using a lot of colloquial language, or if you pick the doctor John Logan, he'll probably use medical jargon.

I really wanted to do re-creative, considering I also do creative writing a-level, but unfortunately it was near impossible. I was the only one in our class who wanted to do it, and she had to focus her coursework lecturing on the majority obviously. I found it was easier just to use the classwork and do an essay instead of having to go after school and learn how to structure a re-creative etc. My text is A Streetcar Named Desire :smile:

Hope this helped!

Thanks so much! :smile: This helps a lot! I understood what you mean and you pretty much described what I needed. Gave in my first draft today, got a B+. I shall use your tips for my next draft :smile: thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending