Turn on thread page Beta

Gender specific computer software watch

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040506/152/eswx2.html

I'm interested to see to what extent its true.

ReputationRep:
    I never hacked but always found loop wholes. I discovered a major flaw in Windows 3.1. Basicaly they had locked file manager and control panel etc. However on Word 6.0 if you go into help, about there was a run command. From here you had read access to the main Windows 3.11 WFG server operating system and you could run any of the programs from it! Most programs would only let you run if you were logged on as admin but solitare would run! Within in days the school were playing it instead of working so they had to delete it! The teachers all hated me for this!

ReputationRep:
    Why can't I vote for yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)

I never hack, or try to find loop-holes, I just download games and crack them. I also have a massive database of serial numbers for loads of software.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I never hacked but always found loop wholes. I discovered a major flaw in Windows 3.1. Basicaly they had locked file manager and control panel etc. However on Word 6.0 if you go into help, about there was a run command. From here you had read access to the main Windows 3.11 WFG server operating system and you could run any of the programs from it! Most programs would only let you run if you were logged on as admin but solitare would run! Within in days the school were playing it instead of working so they had to delete it! The teachers all hated me for this!
    Some of the loopholes i've found have been really bad.
    Like accessing anyones hard drive, changing admin restrictions, copying the entire schools archived files, including coursework projects etc.
    But solitaire has always worked here, and they wont remove it because the admin plays it all the time!

ReputationRep:
    win 95: hit esc at login screen, ctrl + alt + de out of a 'locked' screensaver :P
    xp: gained access to the administrator's account for my dad.
    ooh yeh changed the schools intranet content

ReputationRep:
    lol cool

ReputationRep:
    me n my mates always tried to find loop holes in secondary school. executables were banned but we managed to get them working.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the loopholes i've found have been really bad.
    Like accessing anyones hard drive, changing admin restrictions, copying the entire schools archived files, including coursework projects etc.
    But solitaire has always worked here, and they wont remove it because the admin plays it all the time!
    u don't think you could find me one or two starcraft cd keys (for use online)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    So surely just some software designed to stop anyone hacking would be the order of the day rather than gender specific software. If the technology is there to do this why would you enforce males only to use it?

I had hoped this would be more about the psychological differences between the sexes with respect to HCI, but the story can basically be summed up as 'males are more likely to hack than females'.
    How could the software be gender specific anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    me n my mates always tried to find loop holes in secondary school. executables were banned but we managed to get them working.
    during this year for some reason some idiot administator took off all the password protection on everybody in the years folder on the network server. This meant that anybody could open up and change/delete anything of anyone else in they year.

ReputationRep:

it doesn't surpise me. Most burgulars, murderers and criminals in general are more likley than not to be male.

Also males tend to have a much greater passion for technical things in general. e.g how many girls have obsessions with modifying cars or upgrading computer systems?

With these two factors combined it's not surprising that almost all hackers will be male.

ReputationRep:
    I think the basic gist of the article is pretty much right - most girls do not give a damn about hacking and don't really see the point. Same goes for computer games, there are far fewer girls actually hooked on them than boys. However, I agree with piginapoke that the answer is to have an overall more secure system rather than changing it for boys and girls.

ReputationRep:
    Surely this would just encourage boys to impersenate girls, and that makes things worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    No reason why you couldn't one piece of software for one group of people and another for another; could even have the same piece of software behaving differently depending on who was using it (e.g. male or female). Question is, why would you want to? You wouldn't really want to make the functions of the software themselves any different would you? That would be a bit of a mare... you might want to make the interface customisable to maximise usability (some people respond better to different visual stimuli than others) as currently we all pretty much use the same interface for each piece of software but we respond in different ways; interfaces need to be made more intuitive IMO, but actually behaving fundamentally different based on the sex of the user? Nah.
    actually yeh, we were taught in user interface deisgn about user classification and deciding what type of users are going to use the program, e.g. advanced users/beginners, disabled users, etc. so i suppose it would be just as plausible to make it gender specific, but that article is talking about hacking.... do they mean making gender specific hacking apps and tools :eek:

ReputationRep:
    RM connect is shite. it has so many loopholes and vulnerabilities. why are they surprised that people exploit them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    That is illegal, and anyway, the serials are checked when you go online, so it i unlikely you would be able to get online and play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    Well, officially no, but i could tell you where to look if you wanted, although i, of course, am not encouraging you to, or in any way recommending that you should.

ReputationRep:
    Well, officially no, but i could tell you where to look if you wanted, although i, of course, am not encouraging you to, or in any way recommending that you should.
    Anyway, give us something challenging, that is too easy.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't tamper with any facilities provided at school/college/uni, even if I could or was curious about it - if it breaks, or is removed, I wouldn't be able to use it either, so there's just no point.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.