The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I am doing law at UCL. Tough course and bloody tough exams! But if you get through, it's a golden passport to any career, especially in law!!! For all you new folks coming in - welcome. One piece of advice - don't let it drag, keep up with the work, or you'll die very miserably in Easter. Have a great time and take full advantage of everything UCL has to offer (Law Society nearly always (and I mean every week!) has free drinks and receptions sponsored by various big law firms!
Man, you guys must be very clever. I got predicted AAB, just got AAA, but UCL rejected me for law.
Hey! I'm going to UCL too to do Psychology. Almost wish I'd chosen law now, free drinks!!! Should be the experience of a lifetime, I've been getting stupidly excited for the last few days as it's finally setting in!

D
-x-
Reply 23
Forgot to add, there's a UCL message board too if you want something a bit more specific:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/discussions/index.php?c=3

D
-x-
Unregistered
Yeah, I am doing law at UCL. Tough course and bloody tough exams! But if you get through, it's a golden passport to any career, especially in law!!! For all you new folks coming in - welcome. One piece of advice - don't let it drag, keep up with the work, or you'll die very miserably in Easter. Have a great time and take full advantage of everything UCL has to offer (Law Society nearly always (and I mean every week!) has free drinks and receptions sponsored by various big law firms!

Roughly how much reading do you have to do a week, and how many essays?
Reply 25
I'm not going to UCL anymore because I didn't make my grades. Needed AAA and a pass at As and I got AABB and A at AS. I wanted to go there so bad and I was really devastated when they just said no. I was only 6 and 7 marks of As in 2 subjects and I would have thought that my total ucas points might count for something but they wouldn't even give me an interview. Really competitive this law buisness. Am a bit peeved now because I got accepted into Nottingham but I went on holiday the day after results which was a bad idea because I'm not guaranteed accomodation. Got home this morning to find there's a slim chance I might be able to get somewhere completely off my campus but there's a waiting list so I'm not getting hopes up.
Toyosi
I'm not going to UCL anymore because I didn't make my grades. Needed AAA and a pass at As and I got AABB and A at AS. I wanted to go there so bad and I was really devastated when they just said no.

Honestly, it's no loss.

The UCL drop-out rate is suspiciously high; I was studying Archaeology there last year, but dropped out, and I'd estimated that by that point, about 10% of the year had already left. UCL is hideously overpriced, and the union is quite shit in all honesty. (99s, an event where all drinks cost 99p, seems like a good idea in theory but in practice? 1,000 drunk students packed into a venue the size of a shoebox dancing to 'I Think We're Alone Now' by Tiffany and waiting five hours to be served.) Yes, London has a plethora of nightclubs. You name it, London has it. The only problem is that Euston/The West End is not conducive to the type of money your average student will have.

As for the accommodation, I stayed in Schafer House which looked like a prison block, had a common room that was out of order for two months, broken curtains in my bedroom which didn't get fixed in the six months I'd stayed there, and post that regularly went astray. And, joy of joys, I was paying £82 a week for this! Some people I knew at UCL were staying in converted Victorian houses (Campbell House, I think) which had shared rooms, six flights of stairs, no lifts, and one basement kitchen/washing room which was shared between 60-odd people.

Hope all works out well for you. I have a few friends doing law in Nottingham, and they love it. I know it's tough to not get something when you have your heart set on it, but I believe things will work out for the best.
novastatic
Honestly, it's no loss.

The UCL drop-out rate is suspiciously high; I was studying Archaeology there last year, but dropped out, and I'd estimated that by that point, about 10% of the year had already left. UCL is hideously overpriced, and the union is quite shit in all honesty. (99s, an event where all drinks cost 99p, seems like a good idea in theory but in practice? 1,000 drunk students packed into a venue the size of a shoebox dancing to 'I Think We're Alone Now' by Tiffany and waiting five hours to be served.) Yes, London has a plethora of nightclubs. You name it, London has it. The only problem is that Euston/The West End is not conducive to the type of money your average student will have.

As for the accommodation, I stayed in Schafer House which looked like a prison block, had a common room that was out of order for two months, broken curtains in my bedroom which didn't get fixed in the six months I'd stayed there, and post that regularly went astray. And, joy of joys, I was paying £82 a week for this! Some people I knew at UCL were staying in converted Victorian houses (Campbell House, I think) which had shared rooms, six flights of stairs, no lifts, and one basement kitchen/washing room which was shared between 60-odd people.

Hope all works out well for you. I have a few friends doing law in Nottingham, and they love it. I know it's tough to not get something when you have your heart set on it, but I believe things will work out for the best.

well that's encouraging..... is there nothing good about UCL? I'm scared now! I'm going to that prison hole in less than a month! :'(
Unregistered
Man, you guys must be very clever. I got predicted AAB, just got AAA, but UCL rejected me for law.
So you mean you were predicted AAB by teachers, and UCL gave you an offer of AAA I assume, and that in A2 you got AAA, but still got rejected?
Reply 29
Unregistered
well that's encouraging..... is there nothing good about UCL? I'm scared now! I'm going to that prison hole in less than a month! :'(

Of course there is. I took a first in law at UCL, it's an outstanding place to do law. :-) A good career is almost assured if you do well, the academic resources (teachers and library) are brilliant. I agree that there is a drop-out population in law annually, but that is probably because some people can't cope with the vigorous academic standards demanded. Don't muck around too much, work reasonably consistently and you will be fine. With regards to workload, if you want to get a good 2.1, I would say do at least ten hours (preferably 15) independent studying each week. You will have 4-6 essays to write each term. They must be done, handed in and marked, otherwise the tutors will give you the cold shoulder! Good luck!
Reply 30
Unregistered
So you mean you were predicted AAB by teachers, and UCL gave you an offer of AAA I assume, and that in A2 you got AAA, but still got rejected?

This scenario cannot happen! If ANY institution make you a formal offer for ANY course, they are legally obligated to accept you if you meet it. I think that the person must have either not recieved a formal offer or they failed to meet some criteria of either thier offer or the matriculation (sp?) requirements of the institution, these would be some of the few cases where an institution can refuse entry to an applicant meeting thier offer.
Unregistered

No. I was predicted AAB, was interviewed by UCL for law, but was rejected outright with a polite note wishing me the very best in seeking a legal education elsewhere! I then scored AAA at A2, but UCL did not have any clearing places for law.
Guys! I have an idea! all of us who use the forum and go to UCL should wear something identifying us eg wear all blue, or something like that, so that if we see each other on the first day, we'll be able to chat! what do you think?
UCL-er
Guys! I have an idea! all of us who use the forum and go to UCL should wear something identifying us eg wear all blue, or something like that, so that if we see each other on the first day, we'll be able to chat! what do you think?

lol guess noone thinks much of my brilliant idea...
Toyosi
Am gonna be studying law there hopefully. Just wanted to talk to people who r floating in the same boat.

i am going to ucl to do Mathematics and Economics, i am so exciting and delighted now.
Reply 35
welcome to the ucl crew! c u there!
Unregistered
i am going to ucl to do Mathematics and Economics, i am so exciting and delighted now.

hey, im going to study maths at ucl 2, ill c u there
Rahul
welcome to the ucl crew! c u there!

I am starting final year law at UCL this September. Are you joining as a fresher then?

J
Unregistered
I am starting final year law at UCL this September. Are you joining as a fresher then?

J

yep sure am, cant wait. is UCL like really good, in terms of going out and stuiff, herd it is. How hard do u really have to work for sumthing like law at ucl cos thats wot im doing!
who is going to do maths at ucl?

Latest

Trending

Trending