Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Well the one that made the news reached £8,000, and she wasn't very good looking at all.
    oh how £8k would sort me out.

ReputationRep:
    8k reserve it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marina183)
    Blimey you sound like my dad.
    Think about it Smarty Pants, I'm not gonna go down there knowing NO ONE and magic myself some house mates.
    Plenty of people do it - my brother did. It's really not that hard, but don't be whinging about how poor you are if you're simply frivolous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Plenty of people do it - my brother did. It's really not that hard, but don't be whinging about how poor you are if you're simply frivolous.
    I'm not frivolous.
    If you really wnna get the entire picture then I'll tell you.

I dropped out of UCL last year cos there was no student community whatsoever....going into halls is one thing that guarantees that.

Also, after all the comotion that UCL caused I'd much rather have guaranteed accommodation already sorted ebfore I go there.

Uni is already daunting enough without having to go down there homeless and start brown nosing some strangers just to get lower rent.

ReputationRep:
    hey marina, have you had your accomodation forms for portsmouth yet???

i want them now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    hey marina, have you had your accomodation forms for portsmouth yet???

i want them now!

No not yet, they're coming next week...I rang up and asked.
    How are you gonna pay the £3000 for James Watson Halls?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not frivolous.
    If you really wnna get the entire picture then I'll tell you.

I dropped out of UCL last year cos there was no student community whatsoever....going into halls is one thing that guarantees that.

Also, after all the comotion that UCL caused I'd much rather have guaranteed accommodation already sorted ebfore I go there.

Uni is already daunting enough without having to go down there homeless and start brown nosing some strangers just to get lower rent.
    If you think there's no student community anywhere in London, you clearly weren't trying very hard.

ReputationRep:
    ooooooh, think the time for this debate has long sinced passed

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me I'm mistaken guys.

I get my Tuition fees paid when I start Uni at Portsmouth this September but I've just worked out that when I pay for my Hall Fees that leaves me with £334 to spend on food/leisure/clothes every 3 months!!!!

How the F*** am I gonna survive!!!

I'm planning on getting job in a bar or something but that's gonna sort me out about £30 a week if I'm lucky.

Please tell me how you existing students living away from home manage/have manage before I pull my hair out!!!
    savings
    get a job over the summer and save save save. The first time I went to uni I went with £600 saved from the summer in the bank and it came in very very handy for extras.

1. Work out a budget - For example look for the cheapest supermarket in your area and be really careful about what you buy. If you are a meat eater you could probably get by with a budget of £10 a week for food. I can get by with £15 now and I'm a veggie which is more expensive for quorn products etc, and I only buy things like free range eggs and fair trade tea and coffee. If you were going for shops own brands you could def live off £10 a week but you need to plan your meals in advance and shop accordingly.
    2. Plan yourself a certain amount of money per week take it out of the bank on the monday and stick it in a piggy bank only spend that much. If you overspend dont go out. It really makes you appreciate the value of money and you learn how to save quick. Go out on student nights to the places where the drinks offers are that also helps.
    3. Get your reading lists in advance and shop for books second hand. Amazon market place local second hand bookshops etc. It can literally save you hundreds if you have a course with a high volume of required reading.

It worked for me I managed to save part of my loan in my first year and that was with going out drinking three times a week you justneed to think ahead.

ReputationRep:
    No not yet, they're coming next week...I rang up and asked.
    How are you gonna pay the £3000 for James Watson Halls?
    well, i'll be getting about £3000 loan probably (???) so that covers the halls - why they're so expensive i don't know! lol! apparently the SE has the highest student debt, higher than london! that's cause the halls are so bloody expensive!!!

and then my parents said they'll give me bout £100 a week until i find a job down there and they'll start weaning me off that then - slowly hopefully!

thanks for telling me bout the forms by the way

ReputationRep:
    One piece of advise - resist the urge to spend on your credit card, if you won't be able to pay the bill every month - if you start spending on it and then can't pay the bill you'll end up having to pay interest and thats putting you in a worse position than before.

Second thing - work work work this summer! Get loads of savings cos then you can budget for a bit more each week. I did that and I've used the savings for whenever I get the urge to buy clothes!!!

My loan is £3000 and my accomodation is £2700, so that leaves me £300 for the whole year! Fortunately my parents pay the tuition fees and give me an allowance a month, but I still need to budget from what they give me to get by. I'm not talking advantage of my parents, and its still making me aware of the value of money.

ReputationRep:
    Easy ways to get money at uni that I've done:

1) Medical research.
    Let the doctors stick needles in you and take your blood, if you aren't squeemish about needles then its easy money, although they require a commitment of varying amounts of time that you might not be able to fulfill all the time. The amount of money you receive is dependent on the likely discomfort you endure and the amount of time it takes up. Similarly but less well paid there is psycological and physiological testing.

2) TV gameshow standby.
    Obviously only applies if you're near the studio. Lots of gameshows require someone to be on standby in case one of their contestants doesn't turn up. You get paid to be on standby. All you need to do is be contactable at a certain time, and if required, be at the studio in an hour ready to film. No lose situation really except you can't be on the same show more than once usually and I've now exhausted all the gameshows filmed near me.

There you go. Easy money. (And tell your parents that you're going to let them inject you with malaria for a grand cos you don't have enough money and watch them falling over themselves to give you money).....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    You realise that you're spending £20 a week for a private bathroom?

Which would you really rather have - £50 a week to spend and share a bathroom with 4 or 5 people (in Bateson Halls) or £30 a week and your own little shower room? You could even comprimise and have £45 a week and have a large room - that's a big room and enough money for at least a night out a week.

If you want advice about Portsmouth Rednirt is already studying there...I'm sure she'd be happy to give you the insider gossip
    Well I'd say i'd rather have the bathroom to myself, but then i've had it for year and money was never a big problem, I see where you're coming from though if you really are pushed for money i'm sure sharing a bathroom can't be that bad.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget the hardship fund. Now renamed and I'm not sure what. You will automatically get a £500 loan which is added to your student loan and then you may get more depending on your circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    bateson hall is supposed to be shite though! it's old, doesn't look very nice, plus rednirt herself said it was *****y!

i'm going for james watson hall - i want an en suite and that is what i shall (hopefully) get...

ooh, and another thing, portsmouth has like a million times more en-suites than shared-bathroom-places. so there is more chance of getting an ensuite, so you'd most probably have to pay the £80 anyway. yeeeeh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Well the one that made the news reached £8,000, and she wasn't very good looking at all.
    She was in my biology class at school.

We couldn't work out how she did it either.

ReputationRep:
    really? If i remember correctly she was advertising the sale of her virginity, not "just" a shag, wasnt she a lesbian tambien?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Personally I'd rather live somewhere a bit shite for 9 months and be able to go out regularly than live somewhere nice and have to stay in every night....
    each to their own, each to their own...

and who says i'll be staying in every night...stinkin' rich i am mun! myeh..

:eek:

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.