Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all
    am working currentsly full time (pish i know) and i feel i have missed out on the student life and want to next year be a STUDENT fullt ime but the only problem is am not sure where to start because i have sevral hurddles these are as follows.

(1) Me and my fiancee currently rent a flat and if so if it would be possible we would consider moving out of our flat and some where closer and cheaper to the college.

(2) student accomadation. we are just engaged and we would like to rent a student accomadation to ourselfs is this possible and would it be cheaper than what we pay just now (600 pounds) encluding bills.

(3) what bills do students get i know in glasgow we do and the south lanarkshire area do not have to pay council tax so what bills are there.

(4) what does the uni or colleges offer to help out with funding and bussiaries and stuff.

(5) i just wnat to say please help i want all your info i do not care if it is a story about your first time as a student or in accommadation am at this point willing to accept all info so please any information you have please shanre

thank you for your time
    cheers
    andy & nic

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much all of these ponts will depend on which universities you're considering studying at. I'd suggest you should either get in touch with the ones you're interested in (or, possibly more usefully, with someone at their Student's Union), or perhaps let us know where you're intereted in going to study, so that students at those unis can give their input.

ReputationRep:
    may be better to post in general uni discussion, or the glasgow forum

ReputationRep:
    wrong forum........................... ......

ReputationRep:
    Hey Andy and Nic,

Most universities do offer accommodation for couples as to whether it would just be to yourselves would depend on the university. I advise you to inquire with them directly.

A lot of student accommodation is all inclusive during the first year so your weekly rent will include water, gas, electricity etc however most do not include telephone (most of the time you can't even get one and have to use a mobile) and television-again inquire with the university your interested in.

If you don't live in student accommodation your rent tends to only cover the room your staying in and you will have to pay gas, electricity, water, phone rental/usage bill and any other extras or amenities on top of that. You would also need to purchase insurance. If you are staying in university accommodation then Endsleigh is the only company that cover halls and they do cover accommodation outside university as well.

Different universities have different policies about bursaries. Normally you need to be under a certain wage barrier; again check with the university.

My advice would be to inquire with the university and get an application in fairly soonish, then if you get an offer you can try and apply for accommodation earlier and get a better choice!

All the best,

Root xx

ReputationRep:
    Copy and paste your post into uni discussion, you'll get a lot more replies. you can't really base your entire post in health and relationships because it concerns your fiancee aswell. People in Uni forum will be able to answer most your questions x

ReputationRep:
    its goign to be a course in social science at the moment at a college could be stow or somewhere else but would loive to move to edinburgh as i like edinburgh but its a long move from east kilbride let me knwo what use all think

ReputationRep:
    its goign to be a course in social science at the moment at a college could be stow or somewhere else but would loive to move to edinburgh as i like edinburgh but its a long move from east kilbride let me knwo what use all think please

(Original post by Skull_Creature)
    Hi all
    am working currently full time (crap i know) and i feel i have missed out on the student life and want to next year be a STUDENT fullt ime but the only problem is am not sure where to start because i have sevral hurddles these are as follows.

(1) Me and my fiancee currently rent a flat and if so if it would be possible we would consider moving out of our flat and some where closer and cheaper to the college.

(2) student accomadation. we are just engaged and we would like to rent a student accomadation to ourselfs is this possible and would it be cheaper than what we pay just now (600 pounds) encluding bills.

(3) what bills do students get i know in glasgow we do and the south lanarkshire area do not have to pay council tax so what bills are there.

(4) what does the uni or colleges offer to help out with funding and bussiaries and stuff.

(5) i just wnat to say please help i want all your info i do not care if it is a story about your first time as a student or in accommadation am at this point willing to accept all info so please any information you have please shanre

thank you for your time
    cheers
    andy & nic
    I was just about to advise you to post your questions in the University 'student finance' sub-forum when I see you have already taken Sol's advice and done so!

Hope you get good advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all
    am working currentsly full time (pish i know) and i feel i have missed out on the student life and want to next year be a STUDENT fullt ime but the only problem is am not sure where to start because i have sevral hurddles these are as follows.

(1) Me and my fiancee currently rent a flat and if so if it would be possible we would consider moving out of our flat and some where closer and cheaperto the college.
    the two usually contradict each other..

I dont know whether they would let you share a room in a student accommocation, but it says in the prospectus that the offer some flats for couples, just call the accommodation office!

How to contact Residential Services

Located at 73 Great George Street, Residential Services is a short walk from the University Library and is close to the University Main Building.

To telephone the Office, please dial the main University switchboard: 0141 339 8855. Then ask for the appropriate extension from the list below:

Admissions:
    * University Residences 4743
    * Leased Flats 0137
    * Socrates / Erasmus 0137
    * University owned flats 6182
    * Family Accommodation 4544/0137
    * Private Accommodation 4544

The most important line for admissions to Halls, Student Apartments, Kelvinhaugh Residences, Queen Margaret Residences and Murano Street Student Village is:

0141 330 4743 - a special direct line.

We also have a fax: 0141 330 4080

E-mail - [email protected]

Lines can be busy, especially from mid-August onwards, so you may have to wait to be connected.

The Office is open for callers in person between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday. Telephone enquiries 9am - 5pm.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You'll need to look at student accomodation. You may not be eligable for any uni owned places, as there's 2 of you but you're not married. And it might be cheaper, but probably won't be as good.

Only students don't pay council tax, so if your fiancee isn't a student then you'd still need to pay council tax (but you get a 25% reduction if there's only one non-student in the household)

Help depends on the uni. You can get an idea by looking around their website, or by asking them.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot of unis have "family" accomodation - don't know if this applies to independant partner though (ie, you might have to support her/be married/have kids to qualify).

Will you be a mature student?

ReputationRep:
    some unis have couple rooms. or studio flats for couples. but i would have assumed u both had to be at the uni to get one. i dunno mebbies not.or are u both going anyways.

as far as i know if ur a student u dont pay council tax.

if u stay in university student halls bills like gas and electricity are in with the price usually i think. but the universities accommodation brochure will tell u whats in.but if u stay in privately rented housing u pay the bills on top of the rent.but the closer u move to the uni (as in walking distance) rent will go up because all the other students will obviously want to live there too.

grants depend on what uni and ur age, whether ur classed as an independant or mature student or not.

ReputationRep:
    If you live in student accomodation (ie halls of residence, or a house where all the occupants are FT students) I dont think you'll have to pay council tax. But if you live in private accommodation I think you will have to pay, but you'll get some sort of discount, I get 25% off mine.

Some universities do have university accommodation, but, they are normally allocated on a 'need' basis, so preference will be given to married couples, people with children, disabled parents etc etc.

You could easily get shared accomodation within a house though, there are loads of student houses by me going at £30-£60 a week, obviously they are shared though, so if you wanted a house to yourself you might have to pay a higher price.

ReputationRep:
    yes am 23

ReputationRep:
    If you're a mature student I think that the accomodation available varies - the application process is slightly different and I think that the considerations for accomodation is different too. (In other words, if you were 19 with a fiance they'd treat you differently). Speak to the unis - they'll be able to tell you what's available far better than we can.

Oh, and I think (only think, mind you) that financial stuff depends on your marital status if you're under 25. So your partner's income won't be taken into account unless you're married to her.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this thread in a few different places??? Its getting really confusing because I did actually reply to one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Going to uni just to experience "student life" isn't the best idea in my opinion. You actually need to study and things, you know?

But anyway,

One of the girls on my course commutes from East Kilbryde to Edinburgh every day for class

Things you need to pay for - tuition fees are paid for Scottish student in Scotland on your first degree or HND. You will need to pay the graduate endowment when you graduate though. You'll need to pay for wherever you're living, plus any transport costs, plus books, plus money to live on etc.

You can get a student loan to help with this, but your actual uni probably won't give you anything unless you are really really hard up for cash.

Getting into actual halls or the like is unlikely if you want to live with your fiancee. Student accommodation is for students after all.

Renting a flat for two for £600 inc. bills is probably doable. A flat with all student residents in Edinburgh doesn't pay council tax. If there's a non-student, they get 25% off council tax.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.