The Student Room Group

A to A* students (at GCSE)

When did you start revision and how did you make time to revise for each subjects? I've only got like 5 and a half months to go so I'm starting to panic.
I do:
AQA
English Lit and Lang
Triple Science
Music

Edexcel
Maths
Computing (ICT)

WJEC
History
R.E
And French (not sure which exam board)

I want to be a doctor so I prioritize the sciences but they are so time consuming (the way I revise them personally) and I find that I don't have time for other subjects.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnimeFreak101
When did you start revision and how did you make time to revise for each subjects? I've only got like 5 and a half months to go so I'm starting to panic.
I do:
AQA
English Lit and Lang
Triple Science
Music

Edexcel
Maths
Computing (ICT)

WJEC
History
R.E

I want to be a doctor so I prioritize the sciences but they are so time consuming (the way I revise them personally) and I find that I don't have time for other subjects.

I suggest you start revising now and use revision websites like Mathswatch and Mr Bruff(english GCSE tutorial)
I can help on maths, first advice get a edexcel a mathematics linear student book from Pearson resources for about £40 or so if not then revise from websites such as mathswatchvle or Barton maths dead useful . 😊 also if you need any help on any topics feel free to private message me or ask on this thread. I'm a year 10 student who is going to do gcse maths a year early so in 2015 June by January I'll take my first mock. So I'll be working very hard, I have the book any topics you need help on private message me I'll tell you the notes from the book. Or any topics you want to know - what grades they are etc. this is also shown on mathswatchvle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chittesh14
I can help on maths, first advice get a edexcel a mathematics linear student book from Pearson resources for about £40 or so if not then revise from websites such as mathswatchvle or Barton maths dead useful . ������ also if you need any help on any topics feel free to private message me or ask on this thread. I'm a year 10 student who is going to do gcse maths a year early so in 2015 June by January I'll take my first mock. So I'll be working very hard, I have the book any topics you need help on private message me I'll tell you the notes from the book. Or any topics you want to know - what grades they are etc. this is also shown on mathswatchvle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow you're doing your GCSEs at the same time I am? Incredible! Well good luck. What subjects do you do? I think I've already gotten maths sorted. The school gave us login IDs and offered to loan us books. At the moment I am currently on a high B. :frown: This is mainly because I haven't been putting as much effort as I should into maths. My problem is just a balanced revision schedule to be honest. Making one online is of no use as it's often not flexible.
Wow you're doing your GCSEs at the same time I am? Incredible! Well good luck. What subjects do you do? I think I've already gotten maths sorted. The school gave us login IDs and offered to loan us books. At the moment I am currently on a high B. :frown: This is mainly because I haven't been putting as much effort as I should into maths. My problem is just a balanced revision schedule to be honest. Making one online is of no use as it's often not flexible.

Maths
English language
English literature
Biology
Physics
Chemistry (triple science)
Re
Computer science (ict)
Graphics
Geography

Not trying to boast, but I'm naturally clever at maths gcse if I had out effort into it, revised for every test, I'd be getting 100-% in each test! and possibly would've took my gcse in year 9 lol. Now I'm trying my best and finally got determination and am putting effort, therefore am trying to get A* in year 10 and clear maths gcse out of the way so I only have 9 gcses to do in year 11 😊 seems a lot but kicking maths out of the way helps a lot, especially when it's a core :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Started the month before, no need to start ANY earlier for GCSEs. The effort you put in, however, will determine how well you do. Unless you listen and take in a lot of things in lessons in which case not revising won't affect you as much as someone who found it difficult to keep up. :smile: Good luck
Original post by beyknowles
Started the month before, no need to start ANY earlier for GCSEs. The effort you put in, however, will determine how well you do. Unless you listen and take in a lot of things in lessons in which case not revising won't affect you as much as someone who found it difficult to keep up. :smile: Good luck

Thanks :smile: I think I'll start proper revision 3 months prior to the GCSE exams and I'll start earlier with exam papers. Especially for English in which I know I'm naturally talented in yet I find it highly appalling that I got a C when I got a lot of A*'s for the coursework.
Maths
English language
English literature
Biology
Physics
Re
Computer science (ict)
Graphics
Geography

Not trying to boast, but I'm naturally clever at maths gcse if I had out effort into it, revised for every test, I'd be getting 100-% in each test! and possibly would've took my gcse in year 9 lol. Now I'm trying my best and finally got determination and am putting effort, therefore am trying to get A* in year 10 and clear maths gcse out of the way so I only have 9 gcses to do in year 11 ������ seems a lot but kicking maths out of the way helps a lot, especially when it's a core :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exam board do you do for maths? It's Edexcel right?
What exam board do you do for maths? It's Edexcel right?

Yeh edexcel a - linear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh edexcel a - linear

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks! That's good you are now my go to guru for maths! :smile: Once I figure out how to private message X'D (kinda new to this website :biggrin:)
EDIT: Never mind found it now that I actually bothered to look :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Okay thanks! That's good you are now my go to guru for maths! :smile: Once I figure out how to private message X'D (kinda new to this website :biggrin:)
EDIT: Never mind found it now that I actually bothered to look :tongue:

Haha still an older member than me 😀 my bro told me to register dw months ago, just forgot he is my guru for maths. And thanks what a pleasure to have someone calling me a guru, really appreciate it 😃. I've got the book so I can always help you anytime, usually topics I don't understand is lack of effort from myself and not wrong teachings from the book. Today I spent an hour on simultaneous equations because I forgot the -- + rule in the equation lol kept going wrong there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha still an older member than me ������ my bro told me to register dw months ago, just forgot he is my guru for maths. And thanks what a pleasure to have someone calling me a guru, really appreciate it ������. I've got the book so I can always help you anytime, usually topics I don't understand is lack of effort from myself and not wrong teachings from the book. Today I spent an hour on simultaneous equations because I forgot the -- + rule in the equation lol kept going wrong there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really embarrassing to admit but I find the A-A*'s really easy and the C and B ones hard (not always but it can get challenging at times). To be honest if I actually paid attention or revised I should be at an A now but I just can't be bothered (at the moment anyway) I should be sleeping cause I've got ICT mock tomorrow but I'm just going to be blunt I know I WILL fail, I didn't leave enough time to revise. Either way we live and learn I suppose. One tip I shall bestow upon thee though is make sure you finish your science revision early by that I mean by the end of year 10. It helps a lot, A LOT! Don't be scared to go ahead of the class.
It's really embarrassing to admit but I find the A-A*'s really easy and the C and B ones hard (not always but it can get challenging at times). To be honest if I actually paid attention or revised I should be at an A now but I just can't be bothered (at the moment anyway) I should be sleeping cause I've got ICT mock tomorrow but I'm just going to be blunt I know I WILL fail, I didn't leave enough time to revise. Either way we live and learn I suppose. One tip I shall bestow upon thee though is make sure you finish your science revision early by that I mean by the end of year 10. It helps a lot, A LOT! Don't be scared to go ahead of the class.

I know right, seem the struggle myself, time to make it victory and industrious achievements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths
English language
English literature
Biology
Physics
Re
Computer science (ict)
Graphics
Geography

Not trying to boast, but I'm naturally clever at maths gcse if I had out effort into it, revised for every test, I'd be getting 100-% in each test! and possibly would've took my gcse in year 9 lol. Now I'm trying my best and finally got determination and am putting effort, therefore am trying to get A* in year 10 and clear maths gcse out of the way so I only have 9 gcses to do in year 11 seems a lot but kicking maths out of the way helps a lot, especially when it's a core :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I do very similar subjects to all of you and I can offer my assisstance in any subject except History. Also I'm not trying to boast or anything, but I'm naturally excellent at Maths and I did my Edexcel Higher Maths in Year 7 and I got an A* and I've done Triple Science in Y8 and got 3 A*. So I'm stronger on those subjects so PM me with any questions :smile:
Original post by Jono-Wolf
Well I do very similar subjects to all of you and I can offer my assisstance in any subject except History. Also I'm not trying to boast or anything, but I'm naturally excellent at Maths and I did my Edexcel Higher Maths in Year 7 and I got an A* and I've done Triple Science in Y8 and got 3 A*. So I'm stronger on those subjects so PM me with any questions :smile:

Wow lol that's amazing dude 😀 of I had started when I got the book I'd have done in year 8 or 9 too, but meh..
Might ask help though sometime 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do:
AQA
English Lit and Lang
Triple Science
Music

Edexcel
Maths
Computing (ICT)

WJEC
History
R.E

Revise from mathswatch, seriously she'll get you an A* straight and also get the mathswatch booklet. I can give you the mathswatch for free as a file through e-mail if you want. That is what I did.

For english lit basically just talk crap like just go above and beyond in your interpretations use the linguistic devices to help you and prepare some sentence starters that can be used in any of the poems .. that is what I did and got an A*

For history basically do flashcards learn the content inside out do extra research watch videos to enhance your understanding. That is what my sister did and got an A*

Re basically memorise the stuff like reasons and make references to the bible etc.

Good luck. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PerplexedBird
Revise from mathswatch, seriously she'll get you an A* straight and also get the mathswatch booklet. I can give you the mathswatch for free as a file through e-mail if you want. That is what I did.

For english lit basically just talk crap like just go above and beyond in your interpretations use the linguistic devices to help you and prepare some sentence starters that can be used in any of the poems .. that is what I did and got an A*

For history basically do flashcards learn the content inside out do extra research watch videos to enhance your understanding. That is what my sister did and got an A*

Re basically memorise the stuff like reasons and make references to the bible etc.

I got it for free too aha 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PerplexedBird

I have mathswatch but where did you get the free booklet from? I want one :h:
Reply 18
Just buy the CGP guides they're fab! Especially the science and geography ones.
i do:
aqa
biology
chemistry
physics
futher mathematics
geography A
music
edexcel
religious studies
enlight
ict

I did maths and Chinese gcse last year in year 10 and I got A* in both
trust me in GCSEs you just have to learn all the stuff and do loads of past papers. you will be fine. it isn't rocket science
Also try quizlet and 123helpme.com
Original post by Oreochoc
Just buy the CGP guides they're fab! Especially the science and geography ones.
i do:
aqa
biology
chemistry
physics
futher mathematics
geography A
music
edexcel
religious studies
enlight
ict

I did maths and Chinese gcse last year in year 10 and I got A* in both
trust me in GCSEs you just have to learn all the stuff and do loads of past papers. you will be fine. it isn't rocket science
Also try quizlet and 123helpme.com

Thanks for the advice! I'll just get CGP books for EVERYTHING. They are way better than my science teacher anywayz.

Quick Reply

Latest