Gibbster99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of applying to study japanese language at uni and was wondering if it's worth it? I've heard a lot of good and bad things and can't make up my mind.😕 please let me know your opinion and which universities you think are good 😉
Squaresquirrel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gibbster99)
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of applying to study japanese language at uni and was wondering if it's worth it? I've heard a lot of good and bad things and can't make up my mind.😕 please let me know your opinion and which universities you think are good 😉
Hi there, I think Japanese is a great thing to study at uni - it shows you have all the skills gained in other Arts degrees plus language skills. I would mention though that Japanese is a very hard language to learn, you really need to be committed if you want to do well at it and even then it will take a lot of hard work (both inside and outside of class) to become fluent. Just make sure that it's what you want to do and that you have a serious reason for learning it, (all the people in my class whose reasons were 'I love anime soooooooooo much' have dropped out already and it's not even the end of term 1 . . . ) it might be worth learning the kana and a few basic grammar points before applying to see if it for you?

As for unis, in my (completely biased) opinion, SOAS is hands down the place to go - the quality of teaching here is immense and it's international nature means you will naturally just meet Japanese natives pretty much all the time.

Any other questions just ask me
Gibbster99
Rep:
?
Thanks you for your opinion, may I ask what results you had to get to enter SOAS? However if it's personal you don't need to answer, I hear that you go to japan in the 3rd year is that true? Is so are you looking forward to it? What was your reason for doing japanese at uni if you don't mind sharing? xx
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you're just doing it because you like anime then don't bother, they all drop out within the first month once they realise the amount of work it is.

Otherwise yeah, if you genuinely have good Japanese then you'll find a good job there. I recommend doing a joint honours because they don't like foreigners who just have a Japanese degree with no other skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gibbster99
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply, have you ever studied japanese? If so how was it? Did you do the year abroad? I would love to hear about it x
Kaylaleigh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did Japanese for a year at UEA alongside French. After first year I dropped Japanese. I thought Japanese was what I wanted, I'd studied it before and have an aptitude for languages so didn't find the language side too difficult (but the writing, jeez, after a few hundred kanji, you'll know)

Lots of people dropped it though. Many did double honours with another language like me so just switched to the one language. It must have the highest drop out rate of any course here! If you do go for it, I recommend doing double honours so that you have a back up plan. As said above, if it's just for the anime, stop right there and stick with the subtitles.

But anyway, I figured in the end that while I enjoyed it, I'd never be as good as it as I am/will become in French, and also I'd never live or work in Japan, nor use Japanese outside of Japan. I'm jealous of those spending their year abroad in Japan but besides that I'm glad to have dropped it to focus on French. It's more work than you think, and at uni the courses are fast tracked, we supposedly went from ab initio to post A level in one year (Though my Post A level French was inevitably much much better)
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The year abroad is a life changing experience. Alot of people were fortunate enough to study Japanese in high school and college but within less than a year you'll surpass that level. As was mentioned above they are fast tracked depending on your Uni. Some universities (like York) go at a snails pace so they'll learn very little on their year abroad as you need to be at a certain standard to even benefit properly. So the way some universities will push you is absolutely necessary in my opinion.
Near the end you'll be expected to learn over 60 kanji a week. About 4-5 pages of vocab on top of the grammar study. Not to mention the extra stuff you'll be doing if it's joint honours.

It's worth it though as very few native English speakers can speak well enough. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Squaresquirrel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks you for your opinion, may I ask what results you had to get to enter SOAS? However if it's personal you don't need to answer, I hear that you go to japan in the 3rd year is that true? Is so are you looking forward to it? What was your reason for doing japanese at uni if you don't mind sharing? xx
I got BBB at A level, but I am a mature student and had mitigating circumstances so I think that was taken into account. Ye. we have a year abroad in third year, I'm really looking forward to it - there are so many options of where to go for it at SOAS too
My reasons for doing Japanese are pretty complicated but short version is: Wanted to be a doctor - decided it wasn't for me - wanted to become a translator - studied Chinese at Leeds - couldn't do the year abroad so was forced to drop out - looked at other languages - chose Japanese. Although looking back I don't know why I didn't do Japanese from the off, Its definitely the right degree for me, just took a bit of searching to find it.

(Original post by Kaylaleigh)
I did Japanese for a year at UEA alongside French. After first year I dropped Japanese. I thought Japanese was what I wanted, I'd studied it before and have an aptitude for languages so didn't find the language side too difficult (but the writing, jeez, after a few hundred kanji, you'll know)

Lots of people dropped it though. Many did double honours with another language like me so just switched to the one language. It must have the highest drop out rate of any course here! If you do go for it, I recommend doing double honours so that you have a back up plan. As said above, if it's just for the anime, stop right there and stick with the subtitles.

But anyway, I figured in the end that while I enjoyed it, I'd never be as good as it as I am/will become in French, and also I'd never live or work in Japan, nor use Japanese outside of Japan. I'm jealous of those spending their year abroad in Japan but besides that I'm glad to have dropped it to focus on French. It's more work than you think, and at uni the courses are fast tracked, we supposedly went from ab initio to post A level in one year (Though my Post A level French was inevitably much much better)
This. The drop out rate (at SOAS at least) is huge. only about 30% make it through the first year, I'm not trying to be discouraging or anything, but just prepare yourself.
Gibbster99
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for you suggestions I really appreciate it, I have been learning korean for a while now and have decided to do joint japanese and korean even though it will be difficult I will stick it out as I know that I'm moving to japan and Korea once I'm out of uni xx
5845forest
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks everyone for you suggestions I really appreciate it, I have been learning korean for a while now and have decided to do joint japanese and korean even though it will be difficult I will stick it out as I know that I'm moving to japan and Korea once I'm out of uni xx
That's an awesome choice and good luck with it. It will be a very challenging degree though. I study French and Japanese at UEA and only doing one Asian language is difficult enough. You have to be very dedicated as both the languages are so different to English, although I'm sure you already know this
Good luck and congrats on your choice
Gibbster99
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5845forest)
That's an awesome choice and good luck with it. It will be a very challenging degree though. I study French and Japanese at UEA and only doing one Asian language is difficult enough. You have to be very dedicated as both the languages are so different to English, although I'm sure you already know this
Thank you for all your help and good luck with your degree as well. I appreciate all the advice and wish all of you the best in life 😉 xx
Marian3
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 5845forest)
Hello!! I will start translation and Media with Japanese and Spanish, do you have any advice?
I have studied some japanese before, so I know hiragana/katakana but no kanji yet, do you think i should start from beginners? Not sure what to do...

thanks
584forest
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Marian3)
Hello!! I will start translation and Media with Japanese and Spanish, do you have any advice?
I have studied some japanese before, so I know hiragana/katakana but no kanji yet, do you think i should start from beginners? Not sure what to do...

thanks
The fact that you already know hiragana and katakana is great, as it really helps speed up learning if you already know these alphabets. You don't need to know any kanji before you start the course, but of course, even if you already know only a few, it will help, particuarly with regards to how they are read.

Because you don't know any kanji, I would suggest that you start from beginners, as you'll start learning kanji from week 3 of the course.

With regards to general advice, I would say that you definately need to work hard, and keep up with the workload, otherwise it piles up quickly. Also, something that really helps me to improve throughout the course is understanding my weak points (e.g listening, reading etc) and taking steps to improve them. For example, my weaker area is listening, and so I listen to a news broadcast and JLPT materials everyday, and it really does help. Sorry if my advice seems a bit obvious, but it really does make a difference. Hope this helps and have a great time at UEA
ZunaKai
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I know its been a while since this thread was active, but I was wondering how your plans went? Did you end up taking joint Japanese and Korean, and how did you find moving, if you did? It's just that I'm considering taking the same thing, and its possible that, ultimately, I want to move to Japan after uni too I doubt you'll even see this lol but if you do, I'd love to hear your experience!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (27)
38.57%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (6)
8.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
5.71%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (21)
30%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (7)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (5)
7.14%

Watched Threads