The Student Room Group

She's 18, I'm 24???

To me that seems weird. Not the 6 year age gap, but more the stage she is at. She only turned 18 two months ago.

I've started to get close to this girl (I totally didn't intend to), and her close to me. I have been resistant so far due to the age gap, but I do feel like I'm developing feelings for her.

Dunno what other people's thoughts are on it?

I suppose it's slightly weird and awkward for the following reasons:

- My family know hers. We aren't really close, I haven't had much interaction with them, but my younger brother is closer to her and her brothers.
I know her mum from working at a coffee shop, and I know her dad from playing football with him.

- I've kinda seen her grow up. When she was 6, I was 12, 8/14, 10/16, 13/19, 15/21, 17/23, etc.

- I've helped out for as a youth leader whilst she was a member (again little interaction).

I'm worried it all just looks a bit odd, like I've waited for her to turn 18, and how do I explain that to the parents?

I think it all came about coincidently when some weird man approached her and a friend, I recognised them and saw they were having difficulty with him, and made sure he jogged on.

Dunno. I kinda don't want her to like me, and I don't want to like her as I think it'll just being trouble.
I don't see what the problem is.

You're both over the legal age of consent, hell, you could have gone out with her two years ago if you really wanted to.

If you really like her then go for it, but if you think it's going to be awkward being in a relationship with someone 6 years younger than you, then forget about it. You don't want her to feel like you're ashamed to be seen holding hands with her down the street or something stupid like that.
Reply 2
Did she confess to you or something?
Don't see what the problem is, she's 18 now and it's not a massive age gap.
The age gap isn't that significant so no problemo
Create a negative imagery of her in your mind.
My boyfriend is 4 years older, we started going out when i had just turned 17 and he was 21 and it wasn't a big deal. My mum and sister already knew him (he was my sisters best friend) and they were glad that i was going out with someone mature, who would treat me with respect. Given you're both adults it really shouldn't matter. My parents have a 7 year age gap, my grandparents a 6 year too. It's just a really common thing, as long as you're both adults and don't think the age gap is an issue then it won't be :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by pryk009

Confess what?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Confess what?

Did she say she likes you or something? -.-

I kinda can understand your situation. My family is friend with another family and we kids grow up together. I saw my childhood friend grow up and I sometimes helped her (but did not meet her often). I would really feel awkward to date her (3 years difference, not much).

In your situation, it is really up to both of you if you really want to start the relation. But if she did not confess (again if she did not say she wanna you as bf), then try to hold yourself. 18 is not much different from 17 and 16. You need to consider whether it is really possible a serious relationship (if she is mature and act as an adult or not)...
Reply 9
Well, I was in a similar circumstance but I'm the girl in the story :tongue:

I had turned 18 two months before and met my to-be fiancé while I was out with some friends. He was 27 at the time, but I thought he was more towards 24 (like he thought I was older!).

We have now got engaged after over three and a half years and are looking to buy a house next year.

Age is just a number OP (after legal consent age anyway). Don't let it hold you back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't see anything wrong with it, however I'm a couple years younger than you and I personally couldn't do it. All that matters is that it is legal and you two are okay with it.

If you like her, go for it.
If you don't want to be with her because of the 'situation' then don't

Only you know what is best and what your heart/mind is telling you. Yes it may look like you waited for her to get to 18, but people have opinions on everything and only you know deep down your true intentions and that it is merely a coincidence you like her now.

Good Luck man
The fact that you saw her growing up is perhaps a little unusual, but the fact remains that you like her and it sounds like you're trying to fight your feelings on the subject.

If you are compatible, then neither the age gap, nor her youth are that important. I was 17 years and 20 days old when I met my boyfriend who was a few months shy of turning 30 - luckily, neither of us knew exactly how old the other was and we were happy just to get to know each other as people. Now we've been together almost four years.

If you like her and think that you could be compatible, then go for it! The worst that can happen is it doesn't work out and everyone takes that risk with any relationship, regardless of age.
I feel like I repeat this on pretty much a weekly basis on TSR. It's fine.

I was 17, he was 24. It was no big deal then, and it's no big deal now (he's just recently turned 38 and I'll be 31 in less than a fortnight).
Nothing wrong with it....you're at the same life stage...
Original post by baldeosingh
Nothing wrong with it....you're at the same life stage...

Yeah it would be weird as hell if you were 61 and she was just 18. Still legal, but weird as hell. You, on the other hand, are only 24. So, that's not as weird. Not weird at all, in my honest opinion.
Original post by MaseratiJay
Don't see anything wrong with it, however I'm a couple years younger than you and I personally couldn't do it. All that matters is that it is legal and you two are okay with it.

If you like her, go for it.
If you don't want to be with her because of the 'situation' then don't

Only you know what is best and what your heart/mind is telling you. Yes it may look like you waited for her to get to 18, but people have opinions on everything and only you know deep down your true intentions and that it is merely a coincidence you like her now.

Good Luck man

Original post by Plumstone
The fact that you saw her growing up is perhaps a little unusual, but the fact remains that you like her and it sounds like you're trying to fight your feelings on the subject.

If you are compatible, then neither the age gap, nor her youth are that important. I was 17 years and 20 days old when I met my boyfriend who was a few months shy of turning 30 - luckily, neither of us knew exactly how old the other was and we were happy just to get to know each other as people. Now we've been together almost four years.

If you like her and think that you could be compatible, then go for it! The worst that can happen is it doesn't work out and everyone takes that risk with any relationship, regardless of age.

Yeah we are compatible...but in conclusion now I feel more cormtable with the age gap, but not the situation.
I'll probably have to leave it.
Original post by pryk009

Not directly, but she's made it very clear.
She keeps telling everyone how amazing I was for 'saving her', she's flirty and affectionate (more the latter than the former).
She's always around me, talking to me, messaging me, even when I'm deflecting her.
She was talking to me, held my face in her hands, and kissed me on the forehead.
Load of stuff like that.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah we are compatible...but in conclusion now I feel more comfortable with the age gap, but not the situation.
I'll probably have to leave it.

Well nobody says you have to date her - if you don't want to then don't, but make sure that she knows it's not going to happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending