The Student Room Group

*Goldman Sachs - 2015 Graduate Operations Analyst*

Hello all!

I thought I'd create this thread specifically for applicants applying for the GS Operations Analyst Graduate Scheme.

I have a first round interview and was wondering if people had any tips on what type of questions may come up! As someone with no experience in banking and a degree in Biomed, I feel a little bit lost!

*edit*: this thread ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1178119 ) may be useful to some but is about 4 years old which is why I started a new one!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Munster
Hello all!

I thought I'd create this thread specifically for applicants applying for the GS Operations Analyst Graduate Scheme.

I have a first round interview and was wondering if people had any tips on what type of questions may come up! As someone with no experience in banking and a degree in Biomed, I feel a little bit lost!

*edit*: this thread ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1178119 ) may be useful to some but is about 4 years old which is why I started a new one!

Hi saw your message to my other account , ive had both round interviews and offered the job. If you have any questions just ask away.
Reply 2
Original post by knighton
Hi saw your message to my other account , ive had both round interviews and offered the job. If you have any questions just ask away.

Hey,

I've just had my first round interview yesterday and my next one is in 2 days!

Thanks so much, I'll private message you! :smile:
Reply 3
Followed the GS Op's thread to here..

knighton congrats on the job! I have my final round interview next week.

Could you tell me if they asked problem solving questions as I had a few in my first round already...and any market/technical questions?
Reply 4
Hey I had my second round interview the week before Xmas and am still waiting for a response :O

What kind of problem solving questions did you have? The second round interview is pretty much exactly the same as the first round except its three times as many interviews back to back. A lot of the questions are why do you want to do operations and do you know what the role of operations is? Because I did some research about it, they asked me a lot of follow up questions on what I knew and the only question I had which is a little bit technical is 'what else have you read recently on the news?'. This was only because I mentioned something else on the news in the answer to the previous question so it really depends on you as well! Theres a lot of follow up questions on your answers so make sure you know what you're talking about.

Good luck, I hope I've helped!

Original post by veesh
Followed the GS Op's thread to here..

knighton congrats on the job! I have my final round interview next week.

Could you tell me if they asked problem solving questions as I had a few in my first round already...and any market/technical questions?
Reply 5
Thanks for that info...but I had my second round interview last week. Essentially had the same interview!

They're still interviewing so maybe they'll make offers once they've interviewed everyone? They told me I'd hear back in a few weeks..
Reply 6
Ohh! Hope it well, I'm still waiting, they told me they'd get back to me mid-January so I'm guessing soon.

Good luck! :smile:

Original post by veesh
Thanks for that info...but I had my second round interview last week. Essentially had the same interview!

They're still interviewing so maybe they'll make offers once they've interviewed everyone? They told me I'd hear back in a few weeks..
Reply 7
Hey Munster and veesh, I would have my first round interview next monday, would you mind share the questions they asked in the first round interview? besides why GS why operation, any tips during the interview? Thanks
Reply 8
Do you guys mind sharing from what unis/degrees you are coming from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Sherry56
Hey Munster and veesh, I would have my first round interview next monday, would you mind share the questions they asked in the first round interview? besides why GS why operation, any tips during the interview? Thanks

Hi!

It's all competency based apart from those two questions. I would suggest using glass door, it helped me a lot!
http://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Interview/Goldman-Sachs-Operations-Analyst-Interview-Questions-EI_IE2800.0,13_KO14,32.htm

Original post by souman

Posted from TSR Mobile

From Warwick, did Biomed! :smile:
Reply 10
Hey, Munster, thanks for ur help!! had my first round interview yesterday, how long did u hear from them about the second round? Ar u still wait for the final response? I am also from Warwick!!! Are u still study there ?
Reply 11
Hey, Munster, thanks for ur help!! had my first round interview yesterday, how long did u hear from them about the second round? Ar u still wait for the final response? I am also from Warwick!!! Are u still study there ?

No I graduated already. I heard back the next day but I know it's different for different people! I just heard back today and unfortunately didn't get it!

Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 12
How long do goldman sachs take? Had interview earlier this week but still haven't heard back. If we don't hear back within a few days is this normally a rejection?
Reply 13
Original post by Munster
No I graduated already. I heard back the next day but I know it's different for different people! I just heard back today and unfortunately didn't get it!

Good luck with your application :smile:

Thank you!! Good luck to ur other applications!:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by sw3
How long do goldman sachs take? Had interview earlier this week but still haven't heard back. If we don't hear back within a few days is this normally a rejection?

Hey, when did u have the interview? First round ? I had mine last Monday and sill haven't heard back
I have my first round interview on Tuesday morning, any tips on where to do some research? How do I absorb as much info as possible to tuesday? Are there any questions regarding current industry news etc?
Reply 16
Hi,Munster, just got an invitation of second round in 2 days later, what did they ask in the second round? is that quite similar questions as they asked in the first round and repeated with different people? Did they ask a lot about the recent market performance of Goldman a lot? or just several follow up questions based on your answer of the questions as u mentioned? any other tips? thanks!!

Exalted Member

Joined TSR in Dec 2009

Reply 17
Original post by Mcdermott
I have my first round interview on Tuesday morning, any tips on where to do some research? How do I absorb as much info as possible to tuesday? Are there any questions regarding current industry news etc?

Hi,Munster, just got an invitation of second round in 2 days later, what did they ask in the second round? is that quite similar questions as they asked in the first round and repeated with different people? Did they ask a lot about the recent market performance of Goldman a lot? or just several follow up questions based on your answer of the questions as u mentioned? any other tips? thanks!!

Exalted Member

Joined TSR in Dec 2009

Hey,

Use the glassdoor link I posted earlier, there are alot of questions in there which may come up! Definately come up with two examples for each competency.

Second round interviews are basically exactly the same as first round, the only difference is that each person or couple of people who interview will be from the different divisions of operations (eg Data Science and engineering). The questions will be the same though. I wasn't asked any questions about the recent market performance of GS, the only question I was asked which was slightly industry based is 'What have I read in the news lately?'.

My advice is to just get all your competency questions down! Practice them and come up with good examples for each, as this is basically the whole interview! Like I said before, they do follow up on all your answers so try to practice possible questions to your follow up and answers. Also they will ask you why GS and why ops in each interview, so prepare a natural answer for that.

Don't just sound like you're rehearsing your answer. And last of all relax! Think of the interviewer as a normal person who's just getting to know you! Don't be afraid to ask questions, in fact you should always ask questions to show your interest.

I really thought my interviews went well, but I'm still waiting for my feedback! So far they've only said 'there were stronger candidates', so my best guess is that other candidates may have had some real work experience.

I don't really check my TSR often, so I may not reply very often. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by souman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya

Sorry I haven't checked TSR in weeks!

I studied Business at Cass Business School and have a Masters from there too, also in Business
Reply 19
Original post by Munster
Ohh! Hope it well, I'm still waiting, they told me they'd get back to me mid-January so I'm guessing soon.

Good luck! :smile:

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the role - good luck with your future applications!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending