The Student Room Group

Interested in Computer Hardware

I'm actually interested in computer hardware now. I'm not sure whether i 'm interested in software or not, because I'm not exposed to programming languages yet. I wish to study IT. I 've heard those who take up IT have good job prospects , they have higher chance to get promoted and get higher salary. Should I take Computer Science of Software Engineering? Computer science is the combination of the study of computer hardware and computer software , am i right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Is there any course that emphasize only on computer hardware?
CS and SE are both almost purely software. They do teach some hardware fundamentals, but mostly on a theoretical level.

It depends on what you mean by hardware.

If by hardware you mean things like selecting, installing, and maintaining hardware, IT would be the way to go. Unfortunately I don't know much about that industry to tell you more.

If by hardware you mean things like designing a CPU, designing PCBs, etc, electrical engineering or computer engineering would be the way to go. It's quite a bit more difficult, especially in maths (multi-variable calculus, differential equations, etc), and you do get paid quite a bit more.
Try looking into ITMB (Information Technology Management for Business) its what i study at Oxford Brookes and i know there are lots of other universities that do it. Its mainly an IT structured course but there is aspects of business thrown in. There are also programming modules within the course, but even if you don't know how to program you learn as you go along, as they start with the basics. Modules in computer hardware can be taken too
Reply 3
Original post by vickyloua95
Try looking into ITMB (Information Technology Management for Business) its what i study at Oxford Brookes and i know there are lots of other universities that do it. Its mainly an IT structured course but there is aspects of business thrown in. There are also programming modules within the course, but even if you don't know how to program you learn as you go along, as they start with the basics. Modules in computer hardware can be taken too

The programming side in ITMB. How detailed does it go into it? Can you be a programmer with the ITMB degree?
Hey guys,

sorry to intrude - but i was looking for some insight on my choice of degree. I'm an international student looking to move to the UK for undergrad studies. About to send off UCAS. I have my sights set on an ITMB degree - is it worth moving countries for?

I'm doing Maths, Business, Applied ICT & English Language at A2 (3As 1B at AS, 7A*s 1A at iGCSE) - what chance do I stand at eg Manchester/QMUL?

Many thanks
Also, if i drop english language what would that do to my chances?
If you want hardware go for Electrical Engineering. If you want software, go for Computer Science. :smile: Graduates from these courses are in demand, the other courses like IT... I'd stay away from those.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I am living in Vancouver. So please suggest me near my area.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending