The Student Room Group

Do you need a prescription for Asda / Boots pharmacy? (Sleeping pills)

Hi all, I know this may be a stupid question but I was wondering whether you need a prescription for Asda / Boots pharmacy or can you be prescribed over the counter if you explain what the issue / what you need? I'm not registered with a GP yet - I will do that soon but I'm going home in a week so don't have the time to do it yet.

I've had really bad trouble sleeping over the past couple of months, restlessness, fatigued, etc. I've tried those herbal remedies but they don't do much and was hoping I could go into Asda / Boots and get a prescription for a slightly stronger alternative. I've put it down to the stress of University, I don't cope very well with stress, I know the best option is to find something to relieve stress but in the meantime I need sleeping pills, I don't think I could cope with another night of only 1-2 hours sleep.

Thanks.
Reply 1
They can sell you over-the-counter remedies, but for anything prescription-strength you need to see a GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need a prescription for any prescription medication at any pharmacy

The strongest you'll be able to get over the counted from a pharmacy without prescription is nytol, which is worth trying. These are not the herbal ones - you do have to ask for them over the counter and you can't pick them up off the shelf. They're quite a strong antihistamine that causes drowsiness.

Something else you could consider is melatonin supplements. Melatonin is the hormone that the body produces to make you sleepy when it gets dark. They're often used to treat jet lag.
Reply 3
Original post by LiamTSR
Hi all, I know this may be a stupid question but I was wondering whether you need a prescription for Asda / Boots pharmacy or can you be prescribed over the counter if you explain what the issue / what you need? I'm not registered with a GP yet - I will do that soon but I'm going home in a week so don't have the time to do it yet.

I've had really bad trouble sleeping over the past couple of months, restlessness, fatigued, etc. I've tried those herbal remedies but they don't do much and was hoping I could go into Asda / Boots and get a prescription for a slightly stronger alternative. I've put it down to the stress of University, I don't cope very well with stress, I know the best option is to find something to relieve stress but in the meantime I need sleeping pills, I don't think I could cope with another night of only 1-2 hours sleep.

Thanks.

Try an Antihistamine. (like Piriton) They can be sold over the counter.

Quick Reply

Latest