Turn on thread page Beta

hey guys need some help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im just wondering guys where the words acceleration and velocity originated from and i wonder if anyone can help me to understand the way they are used in physics to the way they are used in everyday life.. its just we use it sooo much in physics and im just in tht kind of pfilisophical type mood and i wondered if anyone can help me with this...im one of those ppl who once they get a question i must find the answer to it and well if anyone can help me ull be saving me a lot of sleepless hours

ReputationRep:
    hmm.. not really sure what you mean with regards to the difference between their uses in physics and everyday life...
    velocity is the speed of something in a certain direction and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.
    as for the origins - I've no idea, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Complete guess but probably Latin roots (although velos sounds more Greek). But probably some of those old science guys.

ReputationRep:
    Velocity (from Wiktionary):
    Etymology

From Latin velocitas, speed, from velox, fast
    Acceleration (from Wiktionary):
    Etymology

Latin acceleratio; compare French accélération

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.