Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fireman John)
    Sale and Supply of Goods and Services is concerned witht he contract that you have entered into with the supplier of the service... I would suggest that this is the most relevant route for you to seek to seek re-dress.

the Law clinic is based at Collegiate, yes... A quick search of the portal will take you to this page (but I've done it for ya!) -

http://students.shu.ac.uk/ds/lawclinic/index.html

All the contact details and background info on the service is there.

If the service you are PAYING for; the service that you have ENTERED INTO A CONTRACT FOR is really so bad and sub-standard that you consider it to be unsatisfactory and not fit for the purpose you believe a reasonable person has the right to expect it to be I really would urge you to seek advice down this route... In the first instance it only needs one person to make the enquiry - the rest can just jump on the bandwagon!

**I note it states that they will not take up a case against the university... however, UNITE are UNITE... they're NOT (as far as I am aware) Sheffield Hallam University - and further to that, in my personal opinion, SHU have an interest in seeing this put right - the student community is a powerful one and the student grapevine is far-reaching... disatisfied students aren't conducive to SHU's reputation regardless of who is ultimately responsible for the disatisfaction.**
    This is against ask4. Charlotte Court is University managed. The Internet is coming from Uni via the ISP Ask4, who at the moment are renting the cable off of Hallam. So it is technically not the university however it is the university's fault as it is their cable that is causing the problem.

I think the law clinic will probably say get in touch with Offcom, who deal with complains about ISPs. I complain to them last year and nothing happened. If anyone wants to go to this law Clinic give us a shout, I'll go with you and I'll drag Kam with me, we are both on networking degree in our second year, so might be worth having around while talking to them.

ReputationRep:
    If your contract is with ASK4 - then that's who you have privity with... To that end, I would assume that the Law Clinic WOULD take it on for you. It sounds as though there is a relational aspect with the contract - but that's not your concern. You're paying money to ASK4 to provide you with a service and you don't beleive that the service is up to standard.

As for sending you to ofcom... I don't know. I really don't know enough about the Law and it's workings (yet!!!) However, as you state you have already tried that route (OFCOM), I can't imagine they'll suggest it again.

Do you want ASK4 to DELIVER or do you want out of the contract and to be reimbursed for your payments to date? These are the things you need to go to the Law Clinic with - documentary evidence of a) the contract, b) a record (even if it's just done from memory) of your telephone calls to ASK4, c) any letters exchanged between you and, d) if you still have it - records of your contact with OFCOM.

As I said - your con tract is with ASK4 - if you lot are unhappy with the service and SHU "MANAGE" the accommodation and the internet is fed from the uni - then SHU have an interest in making sure you lot are happy...

Just had another thought - Have you contacted the uni to complain? If you have and they have washed their hands of it saying "It's ASK4's responsibility" - then there is absolutely NO REASON why the Law Clinic wouldn't take it up for you.

If you haven't complained through the Uni channels - then I'd suggest this is also a port of call worth dropping in at. As I keep saying - it is in SHU's interests to make sure you lot are happy with your uni experience... reputation has a lot to do with future student's applying to SHU!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fireman John)
    If your contract is with ASK4 - then that's who you have privity with... To that end, I would assume that the Law Clinic WOULD take it on for you. It sounds as though there is a relational aspect with the contract - but that's not your concern. You're paying money to ASK4 to provide you with a service and you don't beleive that the service is up to standard.

As for sending you to ofcom... I don't know. I really don't know enough about the Law and it's workings (yet!!!) However, as you state you have already tried that route (OFCOM), I can't imagine they'll suggest it again.

Do you want ASK4 to DELIVER or do you want out of the contract and to be reimbursed for your payments to date? These are the things you need to go to the Law Clinic with - documentary evidence of a) the contract, b) a record (even if it's just done from memory) of your telephone calls to ASK4, c) any letters exchanged between you and, d) if you still have it - records of your contact with OFCOM.

As I said - your con tract is with ASK4 - if you lot are unhappy with the service and SHU "MANAGE" the accommodation and the internet is fed from the uni - then SHU have an interest in making sure you lot are happy...

Just had another thought - Have you contacted the uni to complain? If you have and they have washed their hands of it saying "It's ASK4's responsibility" - then there is absolutely NO REASON why the Law Clinic wouldn't take it up for you.

If you haven't complained through the Uni channels - then I'd suggest this is also a port of call worth dropping in at. As I keep saying - it is in SHU's interests to make sure you lot are happy with your uni experience... reputation has a lot to do with future student's applying to SHU!
    Ask4 are blaiming unis backbone for their problems and they say there is nothing they can do about it. The latest thing was a leak in the server room or a switch box or something effecting a few blocks but not all. The Internet for me has been fine, although a bit slow at times, so I have nothing to complain about really. The Ofcom thing btw was at Bramall Court last year. Here at Charlotte Court last year the Internet was free off the unis backbone which it still is off the backbone but ask4 are proving the service now. They are currently waiting for telewest to install a cable to get off of unis back bone, which is the root of the problems!

ReputationRep:
    Well, the latest problem was the cut out we just had with

I'll email the Law Clinic explaining the issues.

ReputationRep:
    i spoke to ask4 the other day and they said they have established what the problem is (coz i'm having the same problem!) and its because the cable isn't big enough for the amount of people (mainly because of the freeview) but next week another cable is being fitted so everything should be sorted. but i'm not holding my breath for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mememe555)
    i spoke to ask4 the other day and they said they have established what the problem is (coz i'm having the same problem!) and its because the cable isn't big enough for the amount of people (mainly because of the freeview) but next week another cable is being fitted so everything should be sorted. but i'm not holding my breath for it!
    Well that took them long enough, it would be the first thing they would realise there is a "bottleneck" in the system and find out where it is? That shouldn't take more than an hour to find and sort out. Since the cable isn't big enough they should of suppended the freeview service then, until the new cable is fitted. This is a failure to comply with their terms...:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Pi$$ poor planning!
    They offer additional services without thinking of the consequences?

They offer you unlimited usage and up to 4Mb broadband, but don't do the math and just get bottlenecks, then blame most of the problems on flooding and anything else but their own poor planning and mangement?!

Amateurs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kam)
    Well, the latest problem was the cut out we just had with

I'll email the Law Clinic explaining the issues.
    Let me know how you get on - I'd be very interested in hearing how it progresses.

ReputationRep:
    I dont see why they did not keep the Internet thing (I have no idea what it is called) that they had last year!!!! It was wicked!!!! Always worked and had helpful free email support! Did have to wait about a month to get the info of how to set it up though.

How is Charlotte Court...you guys might get a suprise in the New Year...but I wont say as it might not happen.

ReputationRep:
    Last years Internet here was good, yes.
    Only had a few issues in the beginning, the rest of the year, it was fine.
    Better support too.

What's the surprise? I'm interested in knowing now.
    PM me if you don't want to get anyone elses hopes up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kam)
    Last years Internet here was good, yes.
    Only had a few issues in the beginning, the rest of the year, it was fine.
    Better support too.

What's the surprise? I'm interested in knowing now.
    PM me if you don't want to get anyone elses hopes up
    Renmember that nice letter we got at Easter......
    P.S I love Rick james!!!!!!!!!! Cocaine is....

ReputationRep:
    ...a helluva drug (can't remember what we got in Easter).

I never got a reply from the Law Clinic, but never mind.
    It looks like Ask4 have had the new line put in though (on saturday I think)...speeds seem to have improved considerably

ReputationRep:
    yea it seems to have been abit better recently actually...hopefully its sorted now!

ReputationRep:
    Let's all hope it is now sorted, we think we saw the new cable being installed it's only thin!

ReputationRep:
    Bramall Courts Internet, this year is absolutley cack!!!

When i were there in my first year, it was just a matter of ring up AOL, get a dail up connection, and your away....

This year £150 for a service that hardly works?? A service that took them 3 weeks to send someone out to have a look at and fix.... And one that hardly ever works...and when it does your not getting anywhere near the speeds your paying for..... If your on the higher level, you get the speed of the lower tariff.... Shocking....Would rather have my own Broadband installed, and pay for it that way, least i know im in control of my line, and im the only one going to be using it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LynseyB)
    Bramall Courts Internet, this year is absolutley cack!!!

When i were there in my first year, it was just a matter of ring up AOL, get a dail up connection, and your away....

This year £150 for a service that hardly works?? A service that took them 3 weeks to send someone out to have a look at and fix.... And one that hardly ever works...and when it does your not getting anywhere near the speeds your paying for..... If your on the higher level, you get the speed of the lower tariff.... Shocking....Would rather have my own Broadband installed, and pay for it that way, least i know im in control of my line, and im the only one going to be using it.
    Brammal Court was like that last year too...incredibly crap, M j R can confirm that.

Back to Charlotte Court though...Ask4 are giving you back small refunds for the poor service they've delivered so far!
    They've confirmed that the new line has been put in and that things should be okay now.
    Just go to the Site Office some time during the day (over the next few days) and depending on what package you're on, you can get some money back:
    Bronze: £10
    Silver: £15
    Gold: £20

I know someone whose check bounced when signing up and they weren't chased up about it...would be funny if they claimed the money back thing...imagine, getting paid to use the Internet

ReputationRep:
    oo ta for that info....I'll be going down to the site office tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    just wondered if any one knows the phone number for the phones in our rooms if someone was to call it from somewhere external??

ReputationRep:
    It's meant to be: 087017071<insert flat number, room number>

e.g. Flat 1, room 1 would be: 08701707111

Doesn't seem to be working atm. Just get a "the number you are trying to call is temporarily out of service" message.
    Will have to ask the site staff tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    that doesn't make sense though because it would mean that my number is too many numbers wouldn't it? I'm flat 31

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 15, 2006

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.