Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LynseyB)
    Bramall Courts Internet, this year is absolutley cack!!!

When i were there in my first year, it was just a matter of ring up AOL, get a dail up connection, and your away....

This year £150 for a service that hardly works?? A service that took them 3 weeks to send someone out to have a look at and fix.... And one that hardly ever works...and when it does your not getting anywhere near the speeds your paying for..... If your on the higher level, you get the speed of the lower tariff.... Shocking....Would rather have my own Broadband installed, and pay for it that way, least i know im in control of my line, and im the only one going to be using it.
    They still using wireless then? The routers they are using are f***** they need replacing the broadcast power is s*** get random cut offs, I'm guessing the ISP is still MCW for Students aka con artists! You call them and they say they'll send the on site engineer round, this "engineer" is one of your senior residents, who would be able to do anything unless you are having trouble connecting for the first time, if they don't pass a message back to MCW saying they can't deal with this problem then a real engineer will/may visit the site, took them to like 4 weeks from the end to do something even though I complained all the time! They came and set up a new broadcast on a different channel which was all fine and danny until they left and it jumped back to the other weaker channel if the signal dropped at all, which ment the problems returned...stupid idiot should of delete the old signal and replaced it with the stronger one! We had to pay £180 for 256kb/s connection plus £12 set up fee (wft? it doesn't cost them anything to set you up, they already own the ip address they'll give you so what that fee goes towards is beyond me). I now hate wireless networks as a result, and I'm hearing from my lecturers that wireless is good...balls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheryl06)
    that doesn't make sense though because it would mean that my number is too many numbers wouldn't it? I'm flat 31
    It would be like calling a number and adding an internal extention on the end, you know like to call another flat it's 2 then the flat ie 05 then the room, well that is the extention, the first few digits will find charlotte court then the numbers for your flat and room is on the internal network set up, any office is like this also. I had a number that worked for last year for here however they changed the number, and must have changed it again for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    that doesn't make sense though because it would mean that my number is too many numbers wouldn't it? I'm flat 31
    Is what the guy at the site office told me. Will ask for one that works later today.

EDIT: Got my £20 refund now
    I asked Joy in the office and she said if you want your number, you've got to ask for it yourself. Also they seem to be temporarily out of service still? Forgot to ask about that..will ask later today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kam)
    Is what the guy at the site office told me. Will ask for one that works later today.

EDIT: Got my £20 refund now
    I asked Joy in the office and she said if you want your number, you've got to ask for it yourself. Also they seem to be temporarily out of service still? Forgot to ask about that..will ask later today.
    So is that where you went, was just about awake when I heard your do go and lock...

ReputationRep:
    just wondered if any one knows the phone number for the phones in our rooms if someone was to call it from somewhere external??
    Isnt an 0870 number really expensive????? When I lived there last year then the girl upstairs knew the 0114 number direct to the room. If you know the site office number then replace the last four digits with your flat then room number. Try 0114 225 then your flat number...like 02 or 11 then room number starting with 0..so 01 or 02 or 06.

Might be different this year though.

ReputationRep:
    that s right!

your number is! 0114 204 2FLAT NUMBER ROOM NUMBER (e.g. 464)

if you wangt to ring internally its 2, then the flat then the room. (e.g. 2464)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoJo123)
    that s right!

your number is! 0114 204 2FLAT NUMBER ROOM NUMBER (e.g. 464)

if you wangt to ring internally its 2, then the flat then the room. (e.g. 2464)
    It was an 08701707...number last year! I know as I called it and got through to kam's room. And I just dialed the number above with my flat and room and it is not in use tone that I get!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_Sheffield)
    Isnt an 0870 number really expensive????? When I lived there last year then the girl upstairs knew the 0114 number direct to the room. If you know the site office number then replace the last four digits with your flat then room number. Try 0114 225 then your flat number...like 02 or 11 then room number starting with 0..so 01 or 02 or 06.

Might be different this year though.
    Also not in use!

ReputationRep:
    yea its pants and not working,never mind! Got my net refund today...personally think that they were pretty tight seen as my net dint work for about 3 weeks in total and I only got a tenner for it!

ReputationRep:
    Better then nothing though, eh!

ReputationRep:
    yea its pants and not working,never mind! Got my net refund today...personally think that they were pretty tight seen as my net dint work for about 3 weeks in total and I only got a tenner for it!
    Well the money they gave probably came from telewest not doing what they said they would on time...so they probably gave us most of it between us...it is as Kam said better than nothing.

ReputationRep:
    o yea I agree that it's better than nothing!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else having random cut outs in their connection, as in like pages fail to load/time out, or msn keeps signing you out or is that just me?

ReputationRep:
    yea msn keeps signing me in and out but its not too bad

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 15, 2006

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.