NUS Launches National Audit To Investigate 'Rife' Lad Culture

Watch
Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...ef=uk-students

Do you think lad culture is a new thing that needs to be tackled or something that has always been around but lacking a label?

Also... where on earth is Lass culture?!
Falcatas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its nothing but the idea that in the mind of every man is the desire to rape and hate women.
Further proof that NUS is irrelevant today, it stands for authoritarianism in university now wants to criminalise thoughts.

Tyrants all of them.
Pseudocode
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Queen Cersei)

Do you think lad culture is a new thing that needs to be tackled or something that has always been around but lacking a label?

I think this is just another reactionary movement by people who have nothing better to do than be offended. It has become common place to label absolutely everything. Everything these days is labelled with an ist, phobic, phobia or culture ending and its getting rather annoying.

Men and women have been going out and acting like idiots whether under the influence of drink or not for years and years. Men have often done it to try and look good in the eyes of women and women have done it a lot more since liberation and winning more rights.

I cant help but feel the people that get hung up on this sort of thing are just boring people who rarely go out and have fun and therefore want to spoil it for everyone else.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's a good thing people want to get rid of it, but how exactly they're going to achieve that is beyond me. I think most likely people have always been crude - only with social media now it's in your face.
Mimir
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think it's a new thing. I just think the fact that there are rarely consequences is shown up by prevalence of social media.

Occasionally they do go to far and the Universities/Colleges these "lads" attend sanction them. It just happens too rarely to be a deterrent.
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think 'lad culture' has grown in the last few years, but like miser, I have no clue how the NUS thinks it can end it. It's a social culture which will inevitably change over time, and hopefully die down or even die out. It's kind of like fashion - popular now, but definitely won't be forever. Homophobia and racism go a long way to demonstrate this. These were once popular and perfectly acceptable views to hold, but not now - at least not in the public sphere of society. Sure, people still hold those views, but to a far lesser extent. I believe it will be a similar affair with lad culture which will regress over time. The NUS can't seriously believe it has the power to make any real significant change though, and it's deluded if it does.
DontCallMeMongo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Queen Cersei)

NUS is nothing but a bunch of weirdo multicultural fetishists doing irrelevant degrees anyway
eugenej215
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lad culture has been around forever. It's just now become commoditised and labelled.
Time Tourist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The lads should launch an investigation into the NUS to see how much of a massive pile of lefty killjoy ****ers they are...
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bunch of self-righteous students thinking that they can change the world with the power of the NUS. Whilst it is good that the problem is recogonised, in my experience the only thing that the majority of students care about regarding the NUS is the NUS Discount card.
Eboracum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To what extent do women promote and find desirable lad culture with a rejection of traditional nice guys?

I was once told to "be more of a lad" by a girl.

:lolwut:
Domestrella
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DontCallMeMongo)
NUS is nothing but a bunch of weirdo multicultural fetishists doing irrelevant degrees anyway
Which degrees do they do?
The_Mighty_Bush
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The NUS are just social authoritarians. Their answer to everything is BAN, BAN, BAN.
joey11223
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Eboracum)
To what extent do women promote and find desirable lad culture with a rejection of traditional nice guys?

I was once told to "be more of a lad" by a girl.

:lolwut:
Aye and honestly maybe I'm just oblivious to it but I don't think there's any more of a "lad culture" than there was...30+ years ago? Students have always partied hard, drank hard, guys gone after girls and vice versa. There are more students now thus you see more of it, but I don't think there;s been dramatic cultural shift in young people in the last decade or more.

I mean the phrase "boys will be boys" (lads will be lads, innit?) is as old as time.

I mean I guess if there's a very clear specific definition of what it is they can have a go, but what that'll be bar interviewing drunk guys and saying "what do you think of girls?" and the response "maaaate girls are seeeexy!"....resulting in....

CONCLUSION LAD CULTURE RIFE

..is beyond me.

Only thing I suppose I dislike a little, and it makes me feel old at 23, but I think music is getting even worse with some pretty sexist lyrics, women are meat etc. But then again the issue is a lot of it is actually produced and sung by female artists, so...they're perpetuating it anyhow. I mean sex sells so I see why, but meh every other song seems to be along the lines of "yeah....baby....yeah...girl/guy...sexy....ass....body...my place....drink....good time" (just pick a few phrases from that, shuffle the order, you don't need to construct any real defined verses or chorus, just tell them to drone it to some fairly generic beats, get famous artist to sing it, in the top 10 by next month and it's playing on loop on GEM/Capital and £££ is rolling in)
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Define "lad culture". What exactly is this "lad culture" they speak of?
DontCallMeMongo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Domestrella)
Which degrees do they do?
Post-colonial theory
Gender studies
etc
Domestrella
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DontCallMeMongo)
Post-colonial theory
Gender studies
etc
Most interesting. Who could have imagined it?
Skip_Snip
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Urgh. Huff Post ....
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The NUS is a political organisation and this is the latest fad in their political subculture. In a few years everyone will have forgotten about it and it will no longer be regarded as a surprise that 18 year olds want to have sex with each other.
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A NUS war on lad culture? Let the games begin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
33.94%
No (543)
66.06%

Watched Threads