Question for LPC students and graduates: GDL-LPC gap? Watch

Ross003
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I completed my GDL in 2009, but this wasn't a particularly auspicious time for training contracts, so I didn't proceed to the LPC at that point. I'm now working for a FTSE 100 company (not a law firm) which will allow me to apply in 2016 to do a training contract on completion of the LPC, with a view to doing general commercial law in-house (within that existing company, who are able to offer training contracts).

That would however mean starting the LPC in late 2016 or - more likely - early 2017. I've checked with the SRA, and there are apparently no rules about the GDL 'going stale', as I believe there are with the BSB and BPTC, and I would need to do the 7-month LPC with BPP or UoL as I couldn't afford any longer out of work.

My question for those with LPC experience is: if I successfully secure a training contract, and therefore do the LPC, to what extent do you think it will impact me that I will have had such a long (7 1/2 year) gap between the GDL and LPC, and if significant, how could I mitigate that impact?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Ross

PS In case you're wondering, I'm asking this so early because I need to make decisions in the next couple of months to set me up in the right position to apply for a training contract in 18 months' time.
Ross003
Thanks, J-SP: I wasn't clear, my plan is to complete the training contract with my existing employer, to become an in-house solicitor with them, so it's just the gap between the GDL and LPC which I am focusing on.
ragandbone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi

It isn't clear what you are asking - impact on what? It's not on your TC as you reckon you can get one of those, so it must either be on your LPC studies or your application of the law (from 2009) on your working life. I am guess you are not worried about the latter, so you must be asking, how will doing my GDL in 2009 impact on studying the LPC in 2016.

If that IS what you are asking, then this breaks down into two areas:

Changes in the law : don't worry it won't have any impact. They only teach current law on the LPC so if you spot any changes, then there must have been a change in the law. Other than that, you might encounter some changes in the law out in practise.

Studying: This will be fine also, if anything studying is easier than work, you should be old enough to manage your time and old enough to organise yourself properly

If you are actually asking something else, then reframe your question caller!

(Original post by Ross003)
Hello,

I completed my GDL in 2009, but this wasn't a particularly auspicious time for training contracts, so I didn't proceed to the LPC at that point. I'm now working for a FTSE 100 company (not a law firm) which will allow me to apply in 2016 to do a training contract on completion of the LPC, with a view to doing general commercial law in-house (within that existing company, who are able to offer training contracts).

That would however mean starting the LPC in late 2016 or - more likely - early 2017. I've checked with the SRA, and there are apparently no rules about the GDL 'going stale', as I believe there are with the BSB and BPTC, and I would need to do the 7-month LPC with BPP or UoL as I couldn't afford any longer out of work.

My question for those with LPC experience is: if I successfully secure a training contract, and therefore do the LPC, to what extent do you think it will impact me that I will have had such a long (7 1/2 year) gap between the GDL and LPC, and if significant, how could I mitigate that impact?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Ross

PS In case you're wondering, I'm asking this so early because I need to make decisions in the next couple of months to set me up in the right position to apply for a training contract in 18 months' time.
Ross003
Thanks ragandbone - you're correct, my concerns were about the impact on the LPC, which you've alleviated - thank you. (Clearer drafting required on my behalf in future...

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (205)
23.51%
Pop (215)
24.66%