47 Lines, and 3997 characters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelbenson)
    47 Lines, and 3997 characters
    heh, nice :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    heh, nice :p:
    I have a tendancy to flaunt exam board word limits throughout GCSE and A-Level, so it was actually quite abit of a shock to be forcibly limited to only using 4,000 character. I managed it in the end, but at the beginning of the "cutting down" process it was like stripping away everything that made my an appealing candidate. I guess everyone is usually in the same situation though.

ReputationRep:
    47 lines and 3998 characters , after deleting 1567 characters:mad:

ReputationRep:
    47 lines 3600 lines.
    Am I the only one who left a line between each para?
    I had to cut out alot so I could do this lol.
    Makes it alot easier to read, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    i think that u should include another three lines.my ps is of 44lines and i have some 400 characters left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shatteredmedic)
    47 lines 3600 lines.
    Am I the only one who left a line between each para?
    I had to cut out alot so I could do this lol.
    Makes it alot easier to read, in my opinion.
    I left lines between paragraphs also. Without, I had 2 lines free, and it was only a case of cutting out 100 characters to get there.

ReputationRep:
    3826 Characters, with around 45 lines used up. I had intended to leave lines between paragraphs, but that would've taken me over the 47 line limit. I've cut about 1000 characters from my original draft to get it to this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil_J)
    Lol stupid ucas. I had 4000 characters in MS word. I copied and pasted it into ucas, and it said 4010 characters! Wtf lol in the end i cut a whole chunk out realising it was un-necessary and read better without it. 47 lines and about 230 characters spare
    :five: Same here! I typed it up in word first, which told me that my character count was fine, put it into UCAS and it was just over twice the limit!:mad: It took some time scaling down too! All I can think of is that UCAS must have shorter lines! Well they definitely have crap formatting! I indented each new paragraph by only one space as I heard that it didn't let you indent them fully, but did these indentations appear at all- no they didn't! However, after all editing, my personal statement has ended up being about 45 or so characters under the maximum limit- plus I was satisfied with it!:yy: The first concise thing I've done!:p:

ReputationRep:
    grrrr.... I left lines between my paragraphs, but when I view my PS on track these lines don't exist! :eek: Its just converted into one big, clumped up paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    grrrr.... I left lines between my paragraphs, but when I view my PS on track these lines don't exist! :eek: Its just converted into one big, clumped up paragraph.
    Yep, mine too. Apparently, this is just on track though, Unis see the nice spaced version... (i dont know how true that is, dont hold me to it! )
    I hope so anyway. It looks a mess without spaces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lottie)
    Some of the best statements are the shortest ones.

46 lines/3888 characters.
    I agree!

Mine was 47 lines and 3681 characers. Nice and concise, with gaps between paragraphs!

ReputationRep:
    My statement sent dierctly to Manchester was around 4300 and something, which I really regret now as they might think it's too waffley/guess that it's longer than the 'limit' (although we were told it didn't matter if we went a bit over).

My UCAS PS is 46 lines, and 3996 characters, and better than my manchester one. Too late for regrets now though!

ReputationRep:
    I have exactly 4000 character including spaces!!

ReputationRep:
    I was dreading having to drastically cut down my first draft to the necessary 4000 characters, but was pleasantly surprised when my word count revealed I was only a few hundred over (so not too much of a task).

In the end, I used all 47 lines (with 3 blank lines to separate paragraphs) and had about 50 spare characters.

ReputationRep:
    Every one of you should look back at your PS three months later and let's see how many people cringe at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Every one of you should look back at your PS three months later and let's see how many people cringe at it.
    True say. But I think that will largely depend on the offers / rejections people receive. Someone with majority offers will psychologically believe their ps is great no matter how cheesy it may sound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Lol, sounds like you're talking from experience! :p:

ReputationRep:
    heh I think I had 0 lines and 5 characters spare. A friend of mine applying for Oxford originally had over 7000 characters and has spent the last 3 weeks chopping it down xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tNa)
    heh I think I had 0 lines and 5 characters spare. A friend of mine applying for Oxford originally had over 7000 characters and has spent the last 3 weeks chopping it down xD
    lol they had a lot to say didnt they.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.