is £30 pw shopping on one person alot?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Spacey Sprocket
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
title

Posted from TSR Mobile
AdamskiUK
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Yes and no. If you're spending £30 on decent food (including fresh fruit + veg and fresh high-grade meat), then £30 is probably slightly above average. I'd expect a decent shop to set you back £25-28.

If you're spending it on crap then £30 is a lot - hell, you can get 3 ready meals from M&S for £7...
Pseudocode
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No. I spend £60 on a shop for one person. You must eat a lot of processed food thats on offer if you're only spending that amount of money.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I think the average family grocery bill is around £85 a week. Taking into account the economies of scale 4 people can get, £30 a week will probably be around the average for a single person. It is certainly possible to eat well for considerably less with a little thought and planning.
Spacey Sprocket
Rep:
(Original post by Pseudocode)
No. I spend £60 on a shop for one person. You must eat a lot of processed food thats on offer if you're only spending that amount of money.
I pretty much have a mixture of fresh and processed food tbh. I did an online shop at ASDA which came to just under £40.

Posted from TSR Mobile
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You can eat like a (healthy) king for 20 quid and that's being generous. I used to spend 30 quid fortnightly though I would then go out and buy snacks.
Spacey Sprocket
Rep:
(Original post by scrotgrot)
You can eat like a (healthy) king for 20 quid and that's being generous. I used to spend 30 quid fortnightly though I would then go out and buy snacks.
I disagree.. what you're saying would be true if all you ate was rabbit food.. no meat or anything. You couldn't do a filling shop on 20 quid absolutely impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1221160
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Spacey Sprocket)
I disagree.. what you're saying would be true if all you ate was rabbit food.. no meat or anything. You couldn't do a filling shop on 20 quid absolutely impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course you can and many people manage on less than that. I'm an exercise obsessive and hoover up around 4,000 calories a day. My weekly budget rarely exceeds £25 without putting much emphasis on budgeting. Granted it is not a meat heavy diet but there is certainly meat in there. It requires a decent knowledge of food and cooking, but it is far from impossible.
Spacey Sprocket
Rep:
(Original post by Quantex)
Of course you can and many people manage on less than that. I'm an exercise obsessive and hoover up around 4,000 calories a day. My weekly budget rarely exceeds £25 without putting much emphasis on budgeting. Granted it is not a meat heavy diet but there is certainly meat in there. It requires a decent knowledge of food and cooking, but it is far from impossible.
Please tell me what a typical meal would be for you (breakfast lunch and dinner) and where do you shop?

Posted from TSR Mobile
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
30 quid a week is ok in my book. If I could get through a week on 20 quid I'd feel pleased with myself.
Domestrella
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
We eat meat about 5 evening meals a week. We buy nothing processed, save for the occasional tin of tomatoes for cooking with or occasionally baked beans. All vegetables are fresh. We spend £60 a week between two. It does come to a little more if we cook herb heavy meals, but even then we can go to Asian supermarkets and get ten times as much fresh herb for the price of the supermarket.
username1221160
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Please tell me what a typical meal would be for you (breakfast lunch and dinner) and where do you shop?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I generally shop in Asda or Morrisons, but I do get a lot of cheap veg from some of the local independent shops and dirt cheap spices from the local Indian shops. I also get some of my veg for free because I work on a local allotment scheme.

Food is generally made from scratch. Meals tend to be protein and complex carb heavy. So there are lots of eggs, wholegrain and legumes involved. All of which are cheap ingredients (particularly when grains and legumes are bought in dried from). I occasionally eat chicken or lean beef, but I'm not a huge meat eater. I often use recipes designed for 4 people and eat the food over a couple of days. It saves time and money.

There are plenty of blogs out there detailing how people keep their food budget down and eat well. So my fairly cheap budget, despite the amount of food I get through, is no real achievement. Jack Monore managed to feed herself and her son for £10 a week by being creative.
Spacey Sprocket
Rep:
(Original post by Quantex)
I generally shop in Asda or Morrisons, but I do get a lot of cheap veg from some of the local independent shops and dirt cheap spices from the local Indian shops. I also get some of my veg for free because I work on a local allotment scheme.

Food is generally made from scratch. Meals tend to be protein and complex carb heavy. So there are lots of eggs, wholegrain and legumes involved. All of which are cheap ingredients (particularly when grains and legumes are bought in dried from). I occasionally eat chicken or lean beef, but I'm not a huge meat eater. I often use recipes designed for 4 people and eat the food over a couple of days. It saves time and money.

There are plenty of blogs out there detailing how people keep their food budget down and eat well. So my fairly cheap budget, despite the amount of food I get through, is no real achievement. Jack Monore managed to feed herself and her son for £10 a week by being creative.
do you snack throughout the day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
3 for 10 quid meat is enough for two weeks. Vegetables about five quid if not less if you are savvy.

You can't buy expensive fancy stuff like cheese or cereal or chocolate or yoghurt and you certainly can't bodybuild on it, but you can definitely get plenty food for two meals a day on 30 quid for two weeks.

Fruit has been a bit expensive lately that's all I will say.
doodle_333
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I spend around £30 a week, I eat a bit of junk but when I cut it out for a couple of months and replaced it with healthier stuff I still spent the same... I'm sure it's possible if you're prepared to make a lot of sacrifices to spend less but I can't stand eating food I don't like
tehFrance
Report 7 years ago
title
How is that possible? I spend like £150/week, how the hell do you spend £30/week?
Spacey Sprocket
Rep:
(Original post by tehFrance)
How is that possible? I spend like £150/week, how the hell do you spend £30/week?
Troll

Posted from TSR Mobile
tehFrance
Report 7 years ago
Troll
Yes because I have money to spend on quality food I'm a troll
Spacey Sprocket
Rep:
(Original post by tehFrance)
Yes because I have money to spend on quality food I'm a troll
So you spend 150 on food pw.. you must be obesit/just greedy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tehFrance
Report 7 years ago
So you spend 150 on food pw.. you must be obesit/just greedy.
No not just food, why weren't you clear in the OP as food only is roughly £70/w
X
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (50)
26.18%
As I expected (63)
32.98%
Harder (70)
36.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.19%

Watched Threads