The Student Room Group

How to show convergence of a sequence?

I have this question and other similar ones and I'm getting stuck.

Does

an=2+7n(1)n+n21+n2\displaystyle a_n=\frac{2+7n(-1)^n+n^2}{1+n^2} converge?

If so find the limit.

I am having real trouble with these types of questions I know about the sandwich theorem and trying to show an\displaystyle a_n is unbounded therefore divergent but I'm very bad.

Please help.
Have you come across algebra of limits? This may prove to be useful :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Slowbro93
Have you come across algebra of limits? This may prove to be useful :smile:

27n+n21+n2an2+7n+n21+n2\displaystyle \frac{2-7n+n^2}{1+n^2} \leqslant a_n \leqslant \frac{2+7n+n^2}{1+n^2}

Then dividing the fractions on both sides (top and bottom) by n2\displaystyle n^2 and applying the AOL for sums products and quotients we get.

1an1\displaystyle 1 \leqslant a_n \leqslant 1 and so an1\displaystyle a_n \rightarrow 1

Is this right?
Reply 3
Original post by poorform
I have this question and other similar ones and I'm getting stuck.

Does

an=2+7n(1)n+n21+n2\displaystyle a_n=\frac{2+7n(-1)^n+n^2}{1+n^2} converge?

If so find the limit.

I am having real trouble with these types of questions I know about the sandwich theorem and trying to show an\displaystyle a_n is unbounded therefore divergent but I'm very bad.

Please help.

From the point of a "method mathematician" and not a purist

if you divide top and bottom by n2

then you get terms of O(1/n) and O(1/n2) which tend to zero as n tends to infinity

the limit is 1
Original post by TeeEm
From the point of a "method mathematician" and not a purist

if you divide top and bottom by n2

then you get terms of O(1/n) and O(1/n2) which tend to zero as n tends to infinity

the limit is 1
These questions are (almost) universally expected to be done from a "first principles" pure point of view, in which case that isn't going to be acceptable. (Although it would be perfectly acceptable in a pure course at postgrad level ironically).
Original post by poorform
27n+n21+n2an2+7n+n21+n2\displaystyle \frac{2-7n+n^2}{1+n^2} \leqslant a_n \leqslant \frac{2+7n+n^2}{1+n^2}

Then dividing the fractions on both sides (top and bottom) by n2\displaystyle n^2 and applying the AOL for sums products and quotients we get.

1an1\displaystyle 1 \leqslant a_n \leqslant 1 and so an1\displaystyle a_n \rightarrow 1

Is this right?
Yes that's fine.
Reply 6
Original post by DFranklin
These questions are (almost) universally expected to be done from a "first principles" pure point of view, in which case that isn't going to be acceptable. (Although it would be perfectly acceptable in a pure course at postgrad level ironically).

I have no idea what is expected but I suspected that might have been the case.

Quick Reply

Latest