How to show convergence of a sequence?

Watch
poorform
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have this question and other similar ones and I'm getting stuck.

Does

\displaystyle a_n=\frac{2+7n(-1)^n+n^2}{1+n^2} converge?

If so find the limit.

I am having real trouble with these types of questions I know about the sandwich theorem and trying to show \displaystyle a_n is unbounded therefore divergent but I'm very bad.

Please help.
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you come across algebra of limits? This may prove to be useful
poorform
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)
Have you come across algebra of limits? This may prove to be useful
\displaystyle \frac{2-7n+n^2}{1+n^2} \leqslant a_n \leqslant  \frac{2+7n+n^2}{1+n^2}

Then dividing the fractions on both sides (top and bottom) by \displaystyle n^2 and applying the AOL for sums products and quotients we get.

\displaystyle 1 \leqslant a_n \leqslant  1 and so \displaystyle a_n \rightarrow 1

Is this right?
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by poorform)
I have this question and other similar ones and I'm getting stuck.

Does

\displaystyle a_n=\frac{2+7n(-1)^n+n^2}{1+n^2} converge?

If so find the limit.

I am having real trouble with these types of questions I know about the sandwich theorem and trying to show \displaystyle a_n is unbounded therefore divergent but I'm very bad.

Please help.

From the point of a "method mathematician" and not a purist

if you divide top and bottom by n2

then you get terms of O(1/n) and O(1/n2) which tend to zero as n tends to infinity

the limit is 1
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
From the point of a "method mathematician" and not a purist

if you divide top and bottom by n2

then you get terms of O(1/n) and O(1/n2) which tend to zero as n tends to infinity

the limit is 1
These questions are (almost) universally expected to be done from a "first principles" pure point of view, in which case that isn't going to be acceptable. (Although it would be perfectly acceptable in a pure course at postgrad level ironically).
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by poorform)
\displaystyle \frac{2-7n+n^2}{1+n^2} \leqslant a_n \leqslant  \frac{2+7n+n^2}{1+n^2}

Then dividing the fractions on both sides (top and bottom) by \displaystyle n^2 and applying the AOL for sums products and quotients we get.

\displaystyle 1 \leqslant a_n \leqslant  1 and so \displaystyle a_n \rightarrow 1

Is this right?
Yes that's fine.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
These questions are (almost) universally expected to be done from a "first principles" pure point of view, in which case that isn't going to be acceptable. (Although it would be perfectly acceptable in a pure course at postgrad level ironically).
I have no idea what is expected but I suspected that might have been the case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads