The Student Room Group

My sister and my parents are pressurising me to do her work. Advice :/

So I'm a graduate , she's just started uni. She has only been to uni couple of times and doesn't attend any lectures. She had an assignment . My parents made me feel bad and that I've got a degree I should do it for her as that is what siblings do . I said no at first but kind of gave in after her begging.

so it turns out she got 76% in that work but she didn't even thank me for it or mention it. In fact it was my mum who told me her mark. Now she's got some more work and is expecting me to do it.

Ive made it clear I won't do it but will help. Plus my degree is in a different subject , although a humanities subject. I don't drive , she does and has been driving me to work, my friends house and shopping. She keeps going on about how much she does for me. My mum said what you did was nothing special and look what she's doing for you. She said if you want to behave like this , you're going to regret it one day and you're going to destroy your relationship with her .

My parents think I'm just being jealous that she's got a good mark now and I don't want her to have a first class degree because I Graduated with lower :frown: but this is not the point.

What to do :confused:

Scroll to see replies

You should outright refuse.

Get yourself places by public transport/learn to drive if its the sacrifice you need to make.

I understand its difficult if you're being pressured, but what you're doing is plagarism and fraud. Its illegal, it could get her kicked out of uni if caught and you're just as liable, perhaps they'd change their tune if they knew that.

If she can't be botherered with uni/can't do the work, perhaps she shouldn't be there. She can't expect other people to do the work for her in a job... its one thing to help her, perhaps by proofreading her work, but you should definitely not be doing her work for her.
Reply 2
Tell them if you are asked again you'll shop her for the previous assignment.
It doesn't benefit anyone if you do her for work for her. She won't learn anything.
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm a graduate , she's just started uni. She has only been to uni couple of times and doesn't attend any lectures. She had an assignment . My parents made me feel bad and that I've got a degree I should do it for her as that is what siblings do . I said no at first but kind of gave in after her begging.

so it turns out she got 76% in that work but she didn't even thank me for it or mention it. In fact it was my mum who told me her mark. Now she's got some more work and is expecting me to do it.

Ive made it clear I won't do it but will help. Plus my degree is in a different subject , although a humanities subject. I don't drive , she does and has been driving me to work, my friends house and shopping. She keeps going on about how much she does for me. My mum said what you did was nothing special and look what she's doing for you. She said if you want to behave like this , you're going to regret it one day and you're going to destroy your relationship with her .

My parents think I'm just being jealous that she's got a good mark now and I don't want her to have a first class degree because I Graduated with lower :frown: but this is not the point.

What to do :confused:

I know this may sound unfair but i think you should listen to your parents and help your sister if she is struggling with her work as that is what big sisters are there for. When i did my English GCSE i had support from my big sister because i was struggling(English is my second language) and i was grateful for that. Just remember when you are helping your sister you should explain to her what you are doing so that she understand and then get her to think for herself and then put all your ideas together into that one piece of work.
Original post by OU Student
It doesn't benefit anyone if you do her for work for her. She won't learn anything.

But if you explain to someone what you are doing and then get them to think for themselves. This then will not be a big issue.
Download her assignment from one of these online essay companies and then when she hands it in she will get kicked out for plageurism which is what this is.
Original post by German123
I know this may sound unfair but i think you should listen to your parents and help your sister if she is struggling with her work as that is what big sisters are there for. When i did my English GCSE i had support from my big sister because i was struggling(English is my second language) and i was grateful for that. Just remember when you are helping your sister you should explain to her what you are doing so that she understand and then get her to think for herself and then put all your ideas together into that one piece of work.

There is a big difference between helping someone and doing it for them.
Helping someone does not mean doing it for them and explaining what you're doing. Thats still plagarism. It means letting them do it for themselves and checking it, helping them to understand anything they don't, helping them to improve their work. That is not whats happening here. OP said they were happy to help.
Original post by Mimsycrafts
Download her assignment from one of these online essay companies and then when she hands it in she will get kicked out for plageurism which is what this is.

Oh and obv deny all knowledge to your parents- must be a coincidence....
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
There is a big difference between helping someone and doing it for them.
Helping someone does not mean doing it for them and explaining what you're doing. Thats still plagarism. It means letting them do it for themselves and checking it, helping them to understand anything they don't, helping them to improve their work. That is not whats happening here. OP said they were happy to help.

Fair enough but the bottom line is her parents said she should help her sister and not doing what they say is sort of wrong. I do see your point but if i were the OP i will seriously help in the sense that the person thinks for themselves aswell and contributes greatly.

I see where you are coming from with this but a GCSE and a degree level subject are two vastly different things.
i'd just ask for some cash incentives, wouldn't mind writing couple essays for that moolah.

but yeah she's gonna fail if you keep doing that **** for her.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do it for her and add random sentences that don't make sense into the middle of it. There is no way she will read it all if she can't even be bothered to write it.
I would say just refuse. If she can't be bothered to turn up to lectures or do assignments then she doesn't belong in university. And getting someone else to do it for them could easily get them kicked out if the university finds out about it, as others have already said.

Do NOT do any more of her assignments for her. Helping her is fair enough, actually doing her work for her is not.
Fair enough but the bottom line is her parents said she should help her sister and not doing what they say is sort of wrong. I do see your point but if i were the OP i will seriously help in the sense that the person thinks for themselves aswell and contributes greatly.

I'd say breaking the law is much more wrong than not doing what your parents say. Parents are not infallible beings, they can be wrong and if they are, you shouldn't blindly obey just because they're your parents.

Bottom line is, doing it for her is illegal and there is a big diffence between helping her to do the work and doing the work for her because she can't be bothered (she can't be bothered to go to lectures... if she's struggling, thats why and its her own fault and she should take the consequences). If she can't do the work, she should be in uni
There's two pretty clear distinct points here.

1. Under no circumstances should you write her assignment. Surely even your parents can see that that will be bad for your sister, and probably make her fail her exams?

2. However, giving her help / private tuition is a little different. That comes down to your relationship with your family - do you feel that what you get from them and what you get back is equal? It's not necessarily unfair for your parents to expect you to help her, particularly if you are living at home - that's between you and them.

Your parents and sister seem to be confusing the two. Is there any way you can make them see the difference?
Original post by Mimsycrafts
I see where you are coming from with this but a GCSE and a degree level subject are two vastly different things.

I do know this and fair enough but i still think that helping in the sense that the person contributes and thinks for themselves too wont be a problem well at least for me.

Helping is one thing, what the OP is being asked to do is do the work for her sister.

Your sister didnt sit your exam for you - so why should the OP.

OP I'd say stick to your guns, from what youve said your sisters difficulties are laziness and expecting someone else to bail her out. Im guessing by the attitude its your mother that usually does this
I do know this and fair enough but i still think that helping in the sense that the person contributes and thinks for themselves too wont be a problem well at least for me.

But it is clear from what the OP says the sister isnt contributing in the slightest. She is basically giving her sister the essay title and telling her to crack on. Not acceptable.

As for it being wrong to not follow what her parents say- it is her parents duty to teach her right from wrong. Plageurism will get her sister kicked out of uni
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
I'd say breaking the law is much more wrong than not doing what your parents say. Parents are not infallible beings, they can be wrong and if they are, you shouldn't blindly obey just because they're your parents.

Bottom line is, doing it for her is illegal and there is a big diffence between helping her to do the work and doing the work for her because she can't be bothered (she can't be bothered to go to lectures... if she's struggling, thats why and its her own fault and she should take the consequences). If she can't do the work, she should be in uni

Fair enough but i am not saying the OP should directly do it for her but help her as in advise her in what to do and correct her work etc.

Edit: The OP should also make her sister go to lectures.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending