The Student Room Group

Rejection from Oxford

Hi, everyone. A few weeks ago I received a rejection letter from Oxford - they just said that they could not consider my application because so many had applied this year. Since then I have been feeling quite down and it is taking everything to go into school and be friendly and happy. My mum keeps saying to look at the good side of things - I have three brilliant offers from three great unis (am still waiting for St Andrews), and I should forget about Oxford; that it just wasn't to be. I am trying really hard to do this, but I just cannot seem to get Oxford out of my head. Has anyone got any ideas?
I'd also like to talk to anyone who has received a rejection, too.
Thank you!
x x :smile:
Don't worry too much about Oxford, honestly the class system in that school is so demoralising I think it's honestly better to go somewhere else. My sister went there, and from the outset it's very clear that there are a group of people there set above the rest, purely because of their family connections, and it's compounded by the college system which divides students up based on class and wealth.

I would say chin up, a lot of people don't go to Oxford and do get things, a lot of people do go to Oxford and waste their lives. The university you go to doesn't automatically determine the success you will have in life. If you were even in the position of applying to such a school, then you certainly have a good head on your shoulders. I'm sure you will do very well at whatever university you will attend. :smile:
oh my lovely, i love your spirit im not going to apply because i dont think im smart enough but bet you were i wish you the best of luck in the future and hope you get into uni :smile: remeber rejection is inevitable
If you are so distressed over a rejection/failure/defeat than Oxford may not have been for you.
Original post by Anonynous
If you are so distressed over a rejection/failure/defeat than Oxford may not have been for you.

How motivating you are! :dry: :lolwut:
Original post by Anonynous

Ah yeah, of course, because no Oxford student has ever been disappointed. Come on guy, don't be a troll here.
Reply 6
:smile::smile: Haha! Thank you!
I'm not distressed, just felt like a failure. It just wore me down, that's all!
And I think that deep down I knew that I had a very very very slight change - my GCSEs were ok, but I completely failed last year at AS! I was just hoping for an interview, to be honest! (That's my strongest point!)
x x
Reply 7
*sorry, 'chance'
x x:tongue:
I got a rejection too, although I wasn't expecting anything else.

If you really want to attend, then you could always apply post-A2?

Oxford isn't the be-all and end-all. You'll most likely experience fantastic teaching and some of the other places you've applied, and you'll still have a great time wherever you go, I'm sure.
Reply 9
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/national-student-survey-2014-results-show-record-levels-of-satisfaction/2015108.article

it all depends on your personal satisfaction :smile: ENJOY LIFE. who cares about a rejection from oxford? who cares about rejections at all. they rejected you, so prove 'em wrong. make them regret it! have fun, work hard and forget about it

Quick Reply

Latest