I had 3 cups of coffee and now my heart hurts.

Watch
swirly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
im familiar with chest pains, and it definitely isnt chest pains. theres a dull ache coming from the heart.

i also have no shooting pains down my arms, so i dont think its a heart attack.

what should i do?
Dexterous
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by swirly)
im familiar with chest pains, and it definitely isnt chest pains. theres a dull ache coming from the heart.

what should i do?
See a Doctor.
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
See the doc. Drink no more coffee for one, and get your blood pressure checked.
jaffacake111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you can type this I'd say you are good but in all seriousness if you are worried ring NHS, you can't be too careful with anything heart/lung/chest related and they even have a non-emergency number (NHS Direct) who should be able to advise you further as well as 111 for situations where 999 isn't needed.
swirly
Rep:
?
(Original post by jaffacake111)
If you can type this I'd say you are good but in all seriousness if you are worried ring NHS, you can't be too careful with anything heart/lung/chest related and they even have a non-emergency number (NHS Direct) who should be able to advise you further as well as 111 for situations where 999 isn't needed.
yeah im definitely not in need of immediate medical attention. just a noticeable ache. will be ok ignoring it and sleeping it off I think.
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're having caffeine withdrawal symptoms. You need to top your caffeine levels back up to what they were before. Another 3-4 cups should do the trick. :coffee: Just in case you don't understand sarcasm, don't do that. Why do people expect to get serious medical advice from anonymous strangers on the internet?!
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yeah im definitely not in need of immediate medical attention. just a noticeable ache. will be ok ignoring it and sleeping it off I think.
If this is happening as a young person, I would seriously get it checked out. Not something to forget about in the morning.
swirly
Rep:
?
(Original post by hellodave5)
If this is happening as a young person, I would seriously get it checked out. Not something to forget about in the morning.
no its fine.

apparently coffee is a vasoconstrictor and constricts blood vessels.
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just breathe deeply for a while. If it doesn't go, get to a&e. I used to (and presumably still) have a similar thing with caffeinated drinks, so often on nights out I'd be doubled over in the toilets with a horrible pain and difficulty breathing. Took me ages to realise why it kept happening, I thought I was allergic to alcohol.
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

what should i do?

no its fine.

apparently coffee is a vasoconstrictor and constricts blood vessels.
Yah I know. But shouldn't have a heart ischemic effect with a few brews. Many mince pies? lol
swirly
Rep:
?
Yah I know. But shouldn't have a heart ischemic effect with a few brews. Many mince pies? lol
noooo

i dont eat wheat
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
noooo

i dont eat wheat
Ah, fair enough. I'm assuming its one of the other foods with a higher proportion of saturated fats that you vastly enjoy then
arminb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you suspect a heart attack, TSR should be last place to seek advice. We still have the NHS you know.
swirly
Rep:
?
Ah, fair enough. I'm assuming its one of the other foods with a higher proportion of saturated fats that you vastly enjoy then
I dont eat foods high in saturated fats:eek:

Im Paleo
jaffacake111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I don't want your death on my conscience - I've only got a (out of date?) First Aid certificate!

My aunt however is here and she is a ward Sister she says: "For most people up to 400-500mg of caffeine a day is safe and to overdose you would need even more. As a guide a cup of coffee can contain anything from 50-150mg but this is dependant on a range of factors. Have no caffeine for 24 hours and see if your symptoms improve. Of course if your symptoms do not improve, get worse or if you suspect the discomfort is not caffeine related seek medical attention in the first instance."

hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I dont eat foods high in saturated fats:eek:

Im Paleo
From the Paleocene?
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
swirly
Rep:
?
(Original post by jaffacake111)
I don't want your death on my conscience - I've only got a (out of date?) First Aid certificate!

My aunt however is here and she is a ward Sister she says: "For most people up to 400-500mg of caffeine a day is safe and to overdose you would need even more. As a guide a cup of coffee can contain anything from 50-150mg but this is dependant on a range of factors. Have no caffeine for 24 hours and see if your symptoms improve. Of course if your symptoms do not improve, get worse or if you suspect the discomfort is not caffeine related seek medical attention in the first instance."

that is too kind of you and your aunt:jumphug:
swirly
Rep:
?
From the Paleocene?
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
No LOL

the paleo diet.

early 20s.
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No LOL

the paleo diet.

early 20s.
Ah, why you gone for that mate?
swirly
Rep:
?
Ah, why you gone for that mate?
I believe you are what you eat, and to be at best capacity both in mental and physical functioning, I find it helps me.

It isnt for everyone. Some people can eat what they want and still function at their best, but me, I need to be optimal. I find that if I just eat anything, I can feel sluggish for no reason, and I dont have this with paleo.

plus once you give up all the artificial crap, you realise it didnt actually taste that great.

our bodies weren't designed to consume refined sugars, gluten, MSG, transfats, fructose syrups etc. so why put them in the body.

anyway I heavily recommend it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (73)
30.29%
No (168)
69.71%

Watched Threads