Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just got my accomodation preference form through but can't decide whether to put down Nelson or the new one (Colman) as my first choice, can anyone help?

I guess current students might not know too much about it, but any 'inside info' on the new block would be great! All I know is that it's similar to Nelson with your own bathroom, but the groups of flats are slightly bigger 8-10 as opposed to 6-8 or something, located between Nelson and Waveney, and the same price as the two.

What do you reckon?

ReputationRep:
    I spent a year at UEA and I stayed in the village which was great. Some friends lived in Nelson which was very nice. I am guessing the new accomodation will be just as nice/nicer. I suppose a bigger flat means you have more chance of something going on most of the time, but you may not get the close knit feel a smaller flat can offer... Both are great anyway, so just flip a coin.
    I only spent a year there because i wasn't enjoying my course, but I can highly recommend the uni, some of the buildings are a bit manky but they are making big efforts to improve them and there is a really friendly atmosphere on campus.
    If you want any more info on UEA just ask, I still only live 2 minutes away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben3085)
    located between Nelson and Waveney, and the same price as the two.

What do you reckon?
    It will be the same price as Nelson and not Waveney (Waveney is £40 p/week, whereas Nelson is £72 p/week). I'm in the Village currently (which is £64 p/week), its great but it does get annoying going in and out of campus all the time, even though it's only 10 minutes walk!

If you are wanting to be on campus in ensuite accom then there really is no difference between Nelson and Constable, and I assume that Colman will be the same. Just put these 3 as your first, second and third choices and you will end up in one of them. Personally, I would choose Colman, purely because it will be brand new and you will be the first residents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    It will be the same price as Nelson and not Waveney (Waveney is £40 p/week, whereas Nelson is £72 p/week). I'm in the Village currently (which is £64 p/week), its great but it does get annoying going in and out of campus all the time, even though it's only 10 minutes walk!

If you are wanting to be on campus in ensuite accom then there really is no difference between Nelson and Constable, and I assume that Colman will be the same. Just put these 3 as your first, second and third choices and you will end up in one of them. Personally, I would choose Colman, purely because it will be brand new and you will be the first residents.
    hehe, I live about 5 minutes away from you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting at UEA in September, is anyone starting there or have any info on what its like?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting at UEA in September, is anyone starting there or have any info on what its like?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's nice. Now can anyone else help me?

Chicken?
    Sa-ra-ra-ra?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Nelson at the moment, and i live next door to Chicken Nelson and Constable are divided up into 'houses' of 10 people - with your own seperate front door and kitchen. I don't know much about Coleman, but i suspect it'll be like Norfolk and Suffolk terraces - there'll be flats with individual entrancy bits on each floor. All three of the £72 ones are en-suite and on campus.

It really depends what you're looking for, if you want somewhere slightly quieter with better security, then go for Nelson, Constable and (i suspect) Coleman. However, if you're into the all night partyness, go into somewhere like Waveney - it has really poor security, the rooms are like shoeboxes with windows and the kitchens are TINY (and shared between 12), but you get to know a lot more people in the first couple of weeks and there tends to be something happening all the time.

As Chris said, the Village is also worth thinking about, because it's cheaper and there is a sort of 'community' atmosphere, but it IS a 10 minute walk off campus. It's not far, but when it's pissing it down outside and it's 8.45, it feels a hell of a lot longer.

Oh yeah, and Nelson and Constable don't have ovens. We have a 'microwave oven' instead which i don't trust. It's ok for doing stuff like garlic bread or pizza in, but it's not great.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me for more info!

Sx

ReputationRep:
    Ive put UEA down as my 1st choice but havent heard anything from them yet regarding accomodation or anything else! I think I'm gonna go for norfolk terrace when I get it though, I think I prefer the sound of the atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Nelson, though I think its been pretty well explained already! I wouldn't go for Mary Chapman though, however much you like the city centre life. Its annoying getting onto campus for a 9am lecture, its right next to a council estate and its not particularly nice at night. My room looks directly onto the bulding site for Colman house and this end of it is virtually done - its being painted at the moment, but it looks like its gonne be really nice (the end has wooden slats up and looks a bit like a large Swiss Chalet).

Nelson and Comstable are identical on the inside, the buildings are just different shaped. Constable also works out slightly cheaper as you are on a 34 week contact and have to move out over the Easter holiday, whereas Nelson is 38 weeks and you keep your stuff in your room the entire time from September to June. Plus you're a 60 second walk from the bar, Constable is more like 10 mins!!!

ReputationRep:
    Is norfolk terrace en suite or shared?

ReputationRep:
    shared i think

ReputationRep:
    Norfolk and Suffolk Terraces are shared bathrooms. There are 13 rooms on each corridor - 12 singles and 1 double room (which 2 people share - they're HUGE rooms though, and you do get your own space each, its just there's no door between where you and your roommate sleep) so you share a kitchen and bathroom facilities between 14 of you. The terraces are good fun though, and every bedroom has a wicked view of the lake, and there's the added bonus of living in whats possible the most unusual shaped halls of residence in the whole of the country!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to UEA so hopefully I'll get my form soon. I'm probably going to go for The Village.. I can live without a proper oven I'm sure. And the exercise would be good for me ! I'm used to walking to college 30 minutes so no problem for me.

What subject are people doing? I'm going for languages.

ReputationRep:
    ill b doin physio

ReputationRep:
    ill be doing history

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.