The Student Room Group

A question about quarks.

Why does the fact that quarks have colour charge mean that they can only exist inside of other particles?

Something to do with hadrons and the strong force? Or was it the weak force? And the Big Bang? I have no idea . . .

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It's called colour confinement, Wikipedia doesn't seem toknow what causes it (which is strange, as it usually knows too much aboutanything STEM related). The gist of it is that the strong force is mediated bygluons, which also have a colour charge unlike the electromagnetic force whichis mediated by neutral photons. This somehow causes the strong force to beunusually strong when quarks try to separate. Additionally, the strong force isreally strong as in Feynman diagrams, gluons are allowed to branch intomultiple gluons.
Original post by lerjj
It's called colour confinement, Wikipedia doesn't seem to know what causes it (which is strange, as it usually knows too much about anything STEM related). The gist of it is that the strong force is mediated by gluons, which also have a colour charge unlike the electromagnetic force which is mediated by neutral photons. This somehow causes the strong force to be unusually strong when quarks try to separate. Additionally, the strong force is really strong as in Feynman diagrams, gluons are allowed to branch into multiple gluons.

Thank you so much! But what does it have to do with the Big Bang?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Edminzodo
Thank you so much! But what does it have to do with the Big Bang?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You tell me, where did you hear the two mentioned together?
Original post by lerjj
You tell me, where did you hear the two mentioned together?

In the explanation of the question! But I didn't hear properly. Something about hadrons or something. I was a bit lost . . .
Reply 6
In the explanation of the question! But I didn't hear properly. Something about hadrons or something. I was a bit lost . . .

What level are you doing? I just searched the AQA As Spec for mention of quarks and colour- there is a brief paragraph on quarks with no mention of colour confinement. The word colour occurs once in the AQA Physics Spec, and it's in the A2 section on optics and astrophysics (colours of spectral lines)
Reply 7
Potentially useful site: http://www.particleadventure.org/color.html
Also, read the wiki page on colour confinement, and maybe check what HyperPhysics says about the topic.
Original post by lerjj
Potentially useful site: http://www.particleadventure.org/color.html
Also, read the wiki page on colour confinement, and maybe check what HyperPhysics says about the topic.

Thank you so much! I'm in Y12 but I'm not actually doing Physics . . . I'm just teaching myself the basics of particle Physics! Are you studying it? :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you so much! I'm in Y12 but I'm not actually doing Physics . . . I'm just teaching myself the basics of particle Physics! Are you studying it? :smile:

I'm taking As Physics at the moment, it's a shame we barely do any of this stuff! If you want a nice introduction to this stuff, QED by Richard Feynman and The Quantum Universe by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw are great pop science books. If you want more depth, you can probably find some lectures on YouTube somewhere.
Original post by lerjj
I'm taking As Physics at the moment, it's a shame we barely do any of this stuff! If you want a nice introduction to this stuff, QED by Richard Feynman and The Quantum Universe by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw are great pop science books. If you want more depth, you can probably find some lectures on YouTube somewhere.

Awesome! :five: What other subjects are you taking? Maths, I guess? How are you finding Y12?

I agree. I do wish I'd done the AS, though. Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Awesome! :five: What other subjects are you taking? Maths, I guess? How are you finding Y12?

I agree. I do wish I'd done the AS, though. Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm currently taking all three main sciences and maths and further maths. Which is actually better than I thought it would be as long as I remember to do all the work. Physics is the most fun though. What are you taking?
Original post by lerjj
I'm currently taking all three main sciences and maths and further maths. Which is actually better than I thought it would be as long as I remember to do all the work. Physics is the most fun though. What are you taking?

Whoa! Does that not get dull? And I'm doing Critical Thinking, Economics, English Literature (Pre-U), History and Japanese!

Quick Reply

Latest